Life Rafts, Once Again

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I looked at the PP with interest. As I mention above (#9) a friend in a slip near our slip in Long Beach purchased one a few weeks ago and has it mounted on stern davits. I’ve seen the boat up close. As it has several accessible watertight chambers, I imagine the boat can be maintained in the provisioned state. If it is rigged for sailing, then maybe one would not require some items of the passive rescue strategy, such as flares. If ones sailboat went down 40 n.mi. off Long Beach on a typical summer afternoon, and the crew boarded the PP, it potentially could sail home in 8-10 hr on a broad reach, assuming the wind does not die or become contrary. I think USCG rescue would be much quicker if you got the MAYDAY off, however.
Portland Pudgy's are great tenders and have a following here. On performance under sail or oar, I'd have to put their performance under oar about mid-way between rowing an inflatable, and well-designed rowing/sailing dinghy. For one, they are very small on the waterline, and two, the 'give' or flex of the hull (also the row locks), slows it down I believe.

This is a friend that uses one for exercise. For his use the Pudgy is perfect and gives you more of a workout. :)

Pudgy Jim (1 of 1).jpg