Liability...... Good Samaritan or just a fool

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
My second thought would be to record the noise, find out where he lives and play the sound back to him late at night.
Isn't that what George Bush did to Noriega in Panama and he surrendered almost immediately? I like it, halyard slapping at 200 dB. Might be effective against ISIS!

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
"It is essential for me to hear every creak, crack and groan on the boat. I am so attuned to the sounds the boat makes when things are going well, that I NEED to hear if anything changes."
Yah, this. :plus:

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
so hypothetical. You're walking down the dock and see a boat banging against the dock causing damage during a storm. Not a friend but know nobody else is available to help. Do you pull line in or do you walk away......
I can't believe this is question one would even ask....

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
This is one area where liability is no worse in the US (and sometimes better) than other countries. How do I know?

All US states have broad laws that protect the good samaritan from liability (to be a "good samaritan" it can't be your profession (you can't work at the marina) and you can't take money to do it). We've had 46 replies on this thread and notice there has not been a single story of someone getting sued. A good sign that it doesn't happen much in the real world.

My insurance company charges me $150 per million dollars of umbrella liability insurance that would cover this sort of thing - insurance that I've never needed. That includes them paying the lawyers if I'm sued. The insurance company is making a profit on the $150 so we know this sort of thing hardly ever happens or the insurance would cost a lot more.

For 50 years I've been adjusting dock lines, resetting anchors, unclogging bilge pumps, and generally doing what I hope others would do for my boat. I plan to keep it up.

Last edited:

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i buy small size elastic ties from harbor freight and 'contribute ' one to any banging halyards. my neighbors are grateful for the present, and take the hint...

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
It's not a hard question.

1. If the roles were reversed and someone saw your boat banging, would you hope they left it alone? Didn't think so. Do you leave your phone number on the boat? Didn't think so.
2. If it were at sea would you feel you had a responsibility? It's not like you are placing yourself at serious (not hypothetical) hazard (I would agree that is a different question--it is only property).

See, it was easy. Go back to your boat and dig out a spare line. I've done it many times.

And if no one is there, there is no responsibility. You didn't sign your name.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
i buy small size elastic ties from harbor freight and 'contribute ' one to any banging halyards. my neighbors are grateful for the present, and take the hint...
Frankly, elastic ties for halyards are a waste. As soon as the wind rises another 5 knots, they stretch and the halyard slaps again. Many slapping lines were (poorly) secured with elastic line. Three feet of line is better.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Frankly, elastic ties for halyards are a waste. As soon as the wind rises another 5 knots, they stretch and the halyard slaps again. Many slapping lines were (poorly) secured with elastic line. Three feet of line is better.
Yup. Regular line tied around the shrouds kept my halyards quiet in 40 kts one night.
I retied lines, added lines, and retied fenders to many boats that night. I found one pontoon boat tied with only two lines made of ski rope. Hmmmm. Funny thing was, he had other lines right on deck. I picked them up and tied them.
The next morning, I walked the docks and saw that all the boats were safe. There was satisfaction in helping to keep the boats safe through the storm. I gathered my own lines from boats to which I had lent them. Didn't get a lot of sleep that night, but it was a good experience. The next morning, I got to see a mink steal food from a cooler left onboard the pontoon boat. He left a little poop too.
I hope someone would do the same for me. Not the stealing food or poop part. ;)

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
This is one area where liability is no worse in the US (and sometimes better) than other countries. How do I know?

All US states have broad laws that protect the good samaritan from liability (to be a "good samaritan" it can't be your profession (you can't work at the marina) and you can't take money to do it). We've had 46 replies on this thread and notice there has not been a single story of someone getting sued. A good sign that it doesn't happen much in the real world.

My insurance company charges me $150 per million dollars of umbrella liability insurance that would cover this sort of thing - insurance that I've never needed. That includes them paying the lawyers if I'm sued. The insurance company is making a profit on the $150 so we know this sort of thing hardly ever happens or the insurance would cost a lot more.

For 50 years I've been adjusting dock lines, resetting anchors, unclogging bilge pumps, and generally doing what I hope others would do for my boat. I plan to keep it up.
Agreed. I cant see many situations where a law suit would really take place. Someone mentioned possibly being sued for administering CPR. I think that is more myth than fact. When I took my CPR class the instructor said "Even is you mess up giving CPR the person is already dead. How can you make it worse?" So if we are tightening a line or securing a loose sail, how can you really make the situation worse?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
BTW, everyone on this thread knows how to administer CPR, right?

The saddest people I have ever seen are the loved ones who watched life ebb from the body of a family member or friend because they had no clue how to keep their heart pumping. Sign the whole family up for the class.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
If you tied the line which hauls his centerboard to the boom, and the halyards were clanging, you'd have a bass drum and cowbells!

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis

The saddest people I have ever seen are the loved ones who watched life ebb from the body of a family member or friend because they had no clue how to keep their heart pumping. Sign the whole family up for the class.
heimlich maneuver is a must too

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
how to administer CPR,
It is even easier than before... They teach you do not have to exchange saliva (breath every few beats). Just pump in the correct location. Do it with your body not your arms. Keep it up till you are relieved or can not do it any longer.

May 25, 2015
Macgregor, Hunter Venture 21, H25 Candlewood

I am an American Hear Assoc. First Aid/CPR instructor, if you are in or near CT, I can do classes for your club, group or family.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
The person that wouldn't tie up someone else's boat for whatever reason (gutless , scared, don't want to get their hands dirty or ??), is probably the same type of person that wouldn't want to get involved in rescuing someone in trouble.