Lewmar Winch Install Instructions

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I just took delivery of two new Lewmar 40 winches. There was no paperwork in the boxes (other than an invoice copy).
In decades past, their winches always came with well-illustrated install instructions.
I recall that orientation of the base is important to fully handle the incoming line load.

Anyone know where to find this info? There must be a PDF or something on line... somewhere.
(I also left my question via email with the vendor/chandler, but have not yet heard back.)

Thank you.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I found the General Info page of the Andersen Winch install manual very helpful.
Find the manual attached. Info is on page 6.

Attachments

Apr 8, 2010
Apr 8, 2010
I found the General Info page of the Andersen Winch install manual very helpful.
Find the manual attached. Info is on page 6.
Thanks! The Anderson information is as useful as the Lewmar info is useless. I printed out page 6.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Thanks, and you kind of have to infer the mounting position from the diagram showing the "output gear". They do not address it directly. By comparison Harken has an excellent installation diagram. I wonder if Lewmar lost interest in providing this info when they stopped printing those excellent manuals 15 or 20 years ago?
I hope you understand that the output gear orientation and the self-tailing arm location are NOT related. The self-tailing arm can be rotated separately to suit ergonomics, where as the position of the output gear must be aligned with the load as shown. The Anderson instructions are more clear.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The Anderson instructions are more clear.
That is what I found 3 years ago when I installed a couple of larger jib winches. Kept the link around just in case another sail boat owner might have a need.

Apr 8, 2010
I hope you understand that the output gear orientation and the self-tailing arm location are NOT related. The self-tailing arm can be rotated separately to suit ergonomics, where as the position of the output gear must be aligned with the load as shown. The Anderson instructions are more clear.
You are right. And I have been on boats where the stripper arm was oriented the 'wrong' way. :)

Apr 8, 2010
Page 203:
https://www.lewmar.com/Catalogue/LR_LEWMAR_CATALOGUE_2018.pdf
You will need to include your line entry dimension in addition to a 5-10 degree upward lead.
Finally. Took the rest of the packing box apart. Out of sight between layers of folded cardboard was the little thin fold-out flyer with the install instructions. Very small print but readable with good lighting and maybe a magnifier.
Removing the winch from the little carton was not sufficient to reveal the hiding place.
I should have been more curious to start with.
The printed instruction addressing base orientation is still 90% short of the excellent PDF diagram I found on-line for a Harken product, tho.

So, it's really mostly my fault... perhaps according to their marketing department.... !

Last edited: