Let's say you sold your boat to one of your good friends.............

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Oh no!. I was hoping this post would just fade away but now is "featured this week" :wahwah:

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
That Mustang is gone....he sold it to his niece. But the price on the 9mm pistol I was going to sell him just went up 25% ;)
before or after you told him the price you wanted for it

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
Money comes and goes, good friends are hard to come by, let it go! Obviously it didn't hurt you to lose some money but maybe he is losing and needed the money or else why would he sale it, you may have just saved his house etc. Good deeds will be returned!

Mar 26, 2012
Macgregor 26M Cave Run Lake (KY)
Not even to family.
I gave a coin collection to my nephew once for his birthday. It was 25 years worth of coins I had collected all around the world. He collected coins and really liked them.
The next year he said he had put them in collection books. When I asked to see them he said, "I sold them. I got $100.00"
I was astounded and told him so, that they meant a lot to me.
"Well, you gave them to me."
Sorry, but that really affected our relationship. He's a millennial and has never seemed to put values on anything now that he's an adult unless it served him.

Jun 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Thunderbird
I have a friend I have had for over thirty years. Four years ago my wife and I moved from Indiana to Oklahoma to be closer to her parents so she could be available for them. It was one of the hardest things for me to do to pick up and leave family and friends I have lived with my whole life. This friend is one that I would do anything for and he the same for me. I know this, he knows this too. Anytime, anywhere, any reason. There is strength and comfort in knowing that there is someone who has your back no matter what. If this is the kind of friend this person is to you then it won't bother you at all if he didn't follow to the letter of the law in your verbal agreement. If this person is not that kind of friend to you. You may want to reconsider your relationship. It could end up being only a one sided friendship. Something to consider.

Jul 7, 2015
Hunter 33_77-83 Kemah
I helped out a golf pro who had a security issue by selling him an AK47 version 12 gage shotgun at cost, really cool Russian manufactured piece of hardware.
He sold it a few days later at 100% profit.
I felt used.
I never made that mistake again.
The experience helped me in the long run to objectively approach negotiations.
I never let the incident come between our friendship, after all I had not lost any money on the deal and learned a valuable lesson to boot.

Oct 29, 2012
Macgregor 222 Knoxville
Be true to your good nature, but never give away more than you're willing to lose permanently. It's a very difficult balance.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I once had a relative-in-law that wanted to give me a sailboat. A VERY nice sailboat at that. The catch was I couldn't sell it. Well what am I supposed to do pay slip fees, maintenance, taxes etc. with no hope of recouping costs and he gets to use? No thanks I said. The point here is if someone gives you something, unless you can sell it, they are not actually giving it to you. The giver has control issues.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i sold a precious sweet boat to a friend--he refused to pay and the boat got crushed-- so.... you sold it..aint yours..walk away. maintain friendship--awesome option.

Mar 27, 2016
Corsair F-24 denver
He should have offered to sell it back to you at his cost plus improvements or split the profit with you. Not a true friend in my view.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I would say it depends on the nature of your "agreement". If you truly made it clear that a condition of the sale was that you get first right of refusal and he clearly agreed to that then he kinda did you wrong. Ultimately, there is nothing to do about at this point. I would say nothing if I wanted to stay friends.

RJD

Aug 31, 2013
Catalina 22 Chesapeake Bay, Deale, MD
Casually mention to your friend that his original deep discount and then profit probably triggered an IRS audit alert. Then just walk away knowing he'll never be completely comfortable in that hot tub.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Casually mention to your friend that his original deep discount and then profit probably triggered an IRS audit alert. Then just walk away knowing he'll never be completely comfortable in that hot tub.
or you could invite him to sail on your boat and hoist the black flag in his honour and you could keel haul him on your boat

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Imagine he had to sell it at a loss. Would you have offered to cover half of that??

It was HIS boat. Let it go.