Let me see your Balboas!

May 1, 2014
Balboa 20 prior lake
So I live in MN and got into sailing a couple years ago and I am so excited to hit the water as soon as the ice melts. I am also thinking about doing some mods to my boat this spring and need some ideas. post a pic of your Balboa, I want to see what some other ones look like!

Mine is a Balboa 20, I believe the year is 1973 but could be wrong.

Jan 5, 2014
Balboa 8.2 trailered
I have a 8.2L Balboa. It has wheel steering and saber rudder also to accommodate the rudder. The stern has a sloped back extension that I put steps in. It has a fixed keel with internal lead ballast that I put four 6V battery in series parallel on top of. I can raise and lower the mast single-handedly on or off the trailer, and many more mods.

Attachments

Jan 5, 2014
Balboa 8.2 trailered
I like to think that the 27' may be like 8.2 since 8.2 was first built in 76. I can understand why the 8.2 may have been renamed 27' so that those who could not x 3.3 to 8.2 (just kidding). :D
Here are some approximate measurements:
LOW - 26.5' just hull
LWL - 23'
BEAM - 8'
DRAFT - 4'
Freeboard at Mast - 3'4"
Front of Bottom of Keel behind Mast - 1'6"
Length of Keel Bottom 7'
Headroom - 6'1"
Mast Pivit Step above Waterline - 5'3"
Will sleep 6
Diesel 2-cylinder, 14HP inboard with folding prop
Are the 27's the same?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Thanks.... taken at Smith Mountain Lake. My daughter took that hanging off the side... it would be perfect if I had remembered to bring in my bumper.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Probably still for sale.

Hi! My name is Jim and I'm new here..Was this in Tucson? How long ago? and was it for sale? I live in San Tan Valley.
Hi, Jim, and welcome.

AFAIK, she's still sitting down around Amado, about 20-30 miles South of Tucson. I spotted her again last May.

I'd check Craigslist and Google.

Attachments

Jul 28, 2015
Balboa 8..2 AZ
Bought Her

I bought that Balboa. She has a petter inboard diesel that has an issue or two. Anyone know if parts are still available for those engines?

May 11, 2018
Macgregor 25 Cape
Just bought a 1978 8.2 .
Interested in the mods you talked about....the mast raising???
My engine was replaced with a yanmar gm1.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Welcome. Nice boat. Very nice.

Are you aware of a little book called "Sailing Illustrated" by Pat Royce? Covers a LOT of great trailer sailor material. It was our "go to" book back when we had our Catalina 22 in 1983, pre-internet days. Still have it.

The book, that is. :)

Last edited: