• Annnnnnd we're back! Got questions, suggestions, or comments, Guest? Post them here!

Let me see your Balboas!

May 1, 2014
Balboa 20 prior lake
So I live in MN and got into sailing a couple years ago and I am so excited to hit the water as soon as the ice melts. I am also thinking about doing some mods to my boat this spring and need some ideas. post a pic of your Balboa, I want to see what some other ones look like!

Mine is a Balboa 20, I believe the year is 1973 but could be wrong.

Jan 5, 2014
Balboa 8.2 trailered
I have a 8.2L Balboa. It has wheel steering and saber rudder also to accommodate the rudder. The stern has a sloped back extension that I put steps in. It has a fixed keel with internal lead ballast that I put four 6V battery in series parallel on top of. I can raise and lower the mast single-handedly on or off the trailer, and many more mods.

Attachments

Jan 5, 2014
Balboa 8.2 trailered
I like to think that the 27' may be like 8.2 since 8.2 was first built in 76. I can understand why the 8.2 may have been renamed 27' so that those who could not x 3.3 to 8.2 (just kidding). :D
Here are some approximate measurements:
LOW - 26.5' just hull
LWL - 23'
BEAM - 8'
DRAFT - 4'
Freeboard at Mast - 3'4"
Front of Bottom of Keel behind Mast - 1'6"
Length of Keel Bottom 7'
Headroom - 6'1"
Mast Pivit Step above Waterline - 5'3"
Will sleep 6
Diesel 2-cylinder, 14HP inboard with folding prop
Are the 27's the same?

Jan 19, 2010
Hunter 26 Lake Martin AL
Thanks.... taken at Smith Mountain Lake. My daughter took that hanging off the side... it would be perfect if I had remembered to bring in my bumper.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Probably still for sale.

Hi! My name is Jim and I'm new here..Was this in Tucson? How long ago? and was it for sale? I live in San Tan Valley.
Hi, Jim, and welcome.

AFAIK, she's still sitting down around Amado, about 20-30 miles South of Tucson. I spotted her again last May.

I'd check Craigslist and Google.

Attachments

Jul 28, 2015
Balboa 8..2 AZ
Bought Her

I bought that Balboa. She has a petter inboard diesel that has an issue or two. Anyone know if parts are still available for those engines?

May 11, 2018
Macgregor 25 Cape
Just bought a 1978 8.2 .
Interested in the mods you talked about....the mast raising???
My engine was replaced with a yanmar gm1.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Welcome. Nice boat. Very nice.

Are you aware of a little book called "Sailing Illustrated" by Pat Royce? Covers a LOT of great trailer sailor material. It was our "go to" book back when we had our Catalina 22 in 1983, pre-internet days. Still have it.

The book, that is. :)

Last edited: