Legend 43 windlass

Jun 8, 2009
2 Legend 43 Monroe, Michigan
I have a 1992 Legend 43 and want to install a windlass. Does anyone know which to get and how to install it? Bow anchor locker appears to be designed for simple installation of the designed windlass but I do not know hwat the designed windlass looks like? Can anyone help me.
Thanks
Art

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I have a 1992 Legend 43 and want to install a windlass. Does anyone know which to get and how to install it? Bow anchor locker appears to be designed for simple installation of the designed windlass but I do not know hwat the designed windlass looks like? Can anyone help me.
Thanks
Art
I had a 40.5 which was sorta similar.
I believe you would use a vertical capstan unit mounted horizontally
You need to call Hunter & get the original install drawings. This is real important
The windlass they used was likely a SL Anchorman series.
The exact one won't be available, but you will be able to get a suitable replacement. Likely a Lewmar V3 series

The cabling won't be cheap.,Use 2/0 tinned from Anchor

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You need to call Hunter & get the original install drawings. This is real important
The windlass they used was likely a SL Anchorman series.
My H430 uses the Anchorman 700. Most were installed, as an option, at the Dealerships. So Hunter made the space available for most of their big boat models.

Use 2/0 tinned from Anchor
Although my 75 amp circuit uses 2/0 which means 2 gauges UNDER 0 gauge wire. They minimum size is 4 gauge for my run of ≈28', but the power lost and over heating of #4 will probably trip your breaker more.
Never use you Windlass to pull your boat!

This a picture of my Windlass contactor and 2/0 wire.
ContactorWire.jpg
You might save wiring by putting a separate battery near the windlass. It is wired to my engine starter battery for high amp pulls.
Jim...

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
My H430 uses the Anchorman 700. Most were installed, as an option, at the Dealerships. So Hunter made the space available for most of their big boat models.

Respectfully, don't do this. Like EVER.
Having a separate battery for windlass (or thruster) is great when everything is going your way. But, now let's consider that it's 2AM, your neighbour's anchor is dragging, and you have to get out of dodge in a hurry.
But, your anchor is snagged on something, so you are raising, lowering, and all sorts of frantic stuff.
And that poor stand alone battery is getting about 20 Amps of charge at best (from the alternator), and when you REALLY need a honking big battery bank to power the windlass , you don't have it.
Many of the French built boats use a separate thruster / windlass battery, and the whole purpose is to save money on battery cable. I find this to be really shoddy practice.
So, use your house bank, spend your kids' inheritance on 2/0 cable, and never risk having your windlass crap out when you really need it

Although my 75 amp circuit uses 2/0 which means 2 gauges UNDER 0 gauge wire. They minimum size is 4 gauge for my run of ≈28', but the power lost and over heating of #4 will probably trip your breaker more.
Never use you Windlass to pull your boat!

This a picture of my Windlass contactor and 2/0 wire.
View attachment 126196
You might save wiring by putting a separate battery near the windlass. It is wired to my engine starter battery for high amp pulls.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
SBO is great for expressing opinions.
My boat uses the High amp starter battery (≈28' away) for the Windlass and the Electric Winch (both high Amp burst demands, hmmm just like a engine starter;)).

Location of that battery was done by Hunter design.

Since I have a genset, I could have located a new Windlass battery about 2 feet away from the windlass motor and used a ACR (Automatic Charging Relay) to charge that isolated Windlass Battery with the genset alternator about 2 feet from the that Windlass Battery.

Each boat is different.
Jim...

PS: BTW my Engine alternator is 80 amp continuous and my Engine Battery is 600 Amp Cold Crank. I just replaced part of my windlass gear box. I considered a brand new unit but was hating the thought of running new wire maybe 30'. Try bending 2/0. Number 4 wire is much easier and cheaper to run.