LED Bulb Comparisons

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Hi All,

I went ahead a acquired five different high output interior 12v LED bulbs for comparison.

I wanted to capture the actual beam width and the light color as best I could. I brought the bulbs home and set them up in my garage to shine on the back of the white garage door. I placed the test fixture 25" from the door and use a Deep Cycle battery at a 13.2V float stage charge to power them.

In order to capture every bulb with everything being equal I used a Nikon D-200 DSLR on a tripod with no flash and the garage was pitch black except for the one bulb being photographed. I even re-shot each and every bulb as new ones came in the mail so they were always shot within minutes of each other and at the same level of darkness in the garage. In between shoots I also moved the fixture and camera so I wanted every bulb to be in the exact same position to be fair. The camera was set to manual mode and every picture was taken remotely and on the same exact setting, so all could be as equal as possible. The camera settings were: 1s f/10.0 at 24.0mm iso200

Please note that a camera sees color temperatures differently than the naked eye and tends to skew everything to a warmer glow. The yellow/oragie tints are actually nice and warm and the whitest bulb, the Dr. LED, is almost blue in the real world.

None of the photos, where light was captured, was post processed or run through any photo editing software. This is how they came out of the camera.

I chose these settings because it gave a clearer delineation of where the effective light spread stopped and petered into darkness.

Current Draw is as follows:

20W Halogen = 1.745 amps
10W Halogen =.87 amps
Sensibulb = .194 amps
MarineBeam 6 bulb = .158 amps
MarineBeam 10 bulb = .188 amps
Dr. LED = .138 amps
Superbrite LED = .141 amps

To put it in perspective one 10W Halogen bulb uses 4.48 times (448% more) electricity than does one Sensibulb and one 20W halogen uses 8.9 times (899% more) electricity than the Sensibulb which was the highest drawing of the LED's tested.

This is the Dr. LED G4 / MR-11 it had the narrowest beam width and the coldest bluish color. It was also the least bright with the lowest current draw at .138 amps. At $28.99 I think the MarineBeam bulb is a better value and if you compare price, with beam width and light output, it can't really compare to the Sensibulb in warmness or beam width:

This is the SuperBrite LED's
MR-11 WHP6. It's a six SMD bulb and a decent knock off to the Marinebeam MR-11-6 below. To the naked eye looks virtually identical but the lighting & current draw tell a different story. It has a cold blueish tint and is slightly less bright than the MarineBeam MR-11-6. At $14.95 it is a decent value but certainly not the best color representation. Another clue that it is not the same exact bulb as the Marinebeam is the current draw. This bulb drew .141 amps and the Marinebeam drew .158 amps.

This is the MarineBeam G4 / MR-11-6 it uses 6 SMD LED's and had a much wider beam width than the Dr. LED and about the same as the Superbrite LED bulb but was noticeably warmer in color output. Though the Sensibulb was considerably warmer and more natural looking this was the second most natural looking and fairly close to an incandescent bulbs color. It was brighter and warmer than the Dr. LED bulb and the Superbrite LED and at $24.99 it is a lot cheaper than the Sensibulb. It's a good choice for a price conscious user & it consumes .158 amps :

This is the MarineBeam G4/MR-11-10. Like the G4/MR-11-6 it uses SMD LED's but instead of six it uses ten. It was brighter but notably colder than it's smaller sibling bulb. At $27.99 it is a lot cheaper than the Sensibulb and a good choice for a price conscious user who needs more light output than the G4/MR-11-6 type bulbs can give.. I was not impressed with the color rendering of this bulb and it is tending towards colder rather than warmer especially when compared to the other MarineBeam bulb. It consumes .188 amps :

This is the Sensibulb and it fits both horizontal and vertical fixtures it had the widest beam width, even hitting & wrapping up onto the ceiling. It also had the warmest most incandescent like light output and was definitely the brightest of the tree bulbs but also the most expensive at $39.95 ea. It was significantly brighter than the Dr. LED bulb but also drew the most current of the three LED's at .194 amps (note the reflection off the ceiling and keep in mind this bulb was only 24" from the door):

I have also included this G4 10W Halogen bulb photo for comparison. It draws .88 amps or 448% more than the Sensibulb:

Here's a G4 20W Halogen bulb it draws 1.745 amps per hour or 899% more than the Sensibulb. In terms of light output the Sensibulb falls in between the 20 watt and the 10 watt halogens..

These are the bulbs tested:

From L to R: Sensibulb, Marinebeam G4/MR-11-10, Marinebeam G4/MR-11-6, SuperBrite LED MR-11 WHP6, Doctor LED Mr-11

Front Row: 10 Watt G4 Halogen, 20 Watt G4 Halogen

Test Fixture:

Lumens:

The question of lumens comes up a lot so here it is straight from Practical Sailor. The lower the color temp the warmer the bulb. The Sensibulb is still the widest and brightest.

Here's the technical color temp and lumen data from the Practical Sailor test:

Sensibulb (Daylight)= 150 lumens / 60" beam width / 2990 color temp

Sensibulb (Soft Light)= 130 lumens / 58" beam width / 2650 color temp

Cruising solutions MR 11 6P
= 72 lumens / 48" beam width / 3300 color temp

Cruising solutions MR 16 9P[/b]= 108 lumens / 44" beam width / 3300 color temp

Dr. LED MR-11= 35 lumens / 25" beam width / 3850 color temp

P.S. If you mention to the folks at Sailors Solutions that you read about the Sensibulb here, Nick, one of the owners, has agreed to give 10% off..:D

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Re: More LED Bulb Comparisons

Good post Maine Sail... The Sensibulb is definitely the best looking in terms of light coverage and color.

Jun 5, 2004
- - Eugene, OR
interesting study . . .

within its limits. My experience and training as a hobbyist theater lighting tech/designer forces me to ask other questions. What is the average life span for each type of lamp? How well do they withstand on-off cycles? I know that for incandescent filiments the thermal shock of being turned on can shorten the burn life, but I don't know the effect on the lamps you tested. Your measurements gives an approximation of appearant brightness, but do you have any information on lumens/candlepower emitted, or the distribution of brightness/light energy over the area illuminated? The warmer color you mentioned from the Sensibulb would appear to imply a lower percentage of its energy being emitted in the bluer frequencies. That might be acceptable or even preferable, depending on the application, but its nice to know in evaluating the lamps.
Your test set up looks and sounds good, but can you extend your good work to these other questions? I think they would be useful additional data. Thanks for your hard and thoughtful work.
Jim Kolstoe, h23 Kara's Boo

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine

I wiould like ot see the same photo of the original incandescent.

Dec 5, 2003
Hunter 420 Punta Gorda, FL
I have about 20 Super Bright LEDs G4-WHP6 White LED lamps on my boat. They seem to be quite a bit cheaper than Maine Sail has tested. They run 11.95 each. For 14.95 you can run a 10 LED cluster (G4-WHP10). They both come in Cool White 7000K or Warm White 3100K. If interested check out http://www.superbrightleds.com/ and look for the G4-WHP6 or G4-WHP10 units. These would seem to be comparable to the Marine Beam MR11 units shown above.

Bill

Harlan

Jun 4, 2004
Oday 34 Niantic

Very nice study - only significant info missing that seems important to me is current draw. The key advantage to LED's is low current - long battery life. Are they all very similar or is MarineBeam's apparent output advantage the result of consuming more power?

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ

I'll stick with good old fashion light bulbs thank you very much.

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME

MaineSail...

Seeing that you are up to speed on the Sensibulb. I have a bunch of Guest fixtures throughout the cabin (white... base swivels in 1 direction) and excepts a halogen with a double bayonet base. I would insert an image off desktop... however haven't figured it out yet. Cheap fixtures... I have a couple that have broken at the swivel.

I plan on replacing the broken fixtures fixtures, and use the Sensibulb as a retro fit for the original MR's or halogens of the new fixture.

Does Sensibulb make a base for the double bayonet fixtures?

Rich

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.

I applaud your test method and report. It should put to rest any arguments.

The cost of the lamps can be balanced against the cost of a larger battery bank if incandescents were used.

I have Hella goose neck quartz lights and am bound to relamp them someday but that was the choice 12 years ago when I bought.

Oct 22, 2008
Yes, Sensibulb makes an adaptor that looks like:

for double contact bayonet mount fixtures. Click the photo to see the webpage for it. :)
MaineSail...

Seeing that you are up to speed on the Sensibulb. I have a bunch of Guest fixtures throughout the cabin (white... base swivels in 1 direction) and excepts a halogen with a double bayonet base. I would insert an image off desktop... however haven't figured it out yet. Cheap fixtures... I have a couple that have broken at the swivel.

I plan on replacing the broken fixtures fixtures, and use the Sensibulb as a retro fit for the original MR's or halogens of the new fixture.

Does Sensibulb make a base for the double bayonet fixtures?

Rich

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Question on LED's

Mainesail, are the led's from Cruising Solutions made by MaineBeam?

The product names are the same. "MR11 G4" . I just received my bulbs from Cruising Solutions over the weekend and will test them this coming weekend. I took some pictures and will post them this evening when I get home from work.

Jun 1, 2005

SD...

Very Good!

That will enable me to get my power sucking fixtures retro-ed with Sensibulb (if they will actually fit).

Top priority... will be to replace the broken fixtures... and throw in some Sensibulbs.

So little time... so little money!

Thanks,
Rich

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA

Has anyone adapted an LED to fit a mast light that accepts those tubular bulbs with the pointed end caps? That is what is on my S2.

Nice job, as usual Mainesail. I also wish to thank you for your winterizing article. Based on it I brought a turkey baster with me yesterday and it definitely made repriming the fresh water pump easier. Oops...another thanks is due...I rebedded a stanchion and, based on your advice, countersunk the deck holes to allow more surface area for the caulk. The only bummer was that after I had the stanchion off I traced the leak to the hull to deck joint nearby.

BobM

Jan 26, 2008
Hunter 31- Deale

I have been shifting to LEDs - Thanks for the info - I just ordered more from the site you mentioned.

Ken
Coast Awhile

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Has anyone adapted an LED to fit a mast light that accepts those tubular bulbs with the pointed end caps? That is what is on my S2.
Bob, those are called festoon bulbs and yes there are LED lamps available for them. You need to know the size as festoons can come in different lengths.

Jun 1, 2005

BobM

Those are the festoon bulbs. I haven't used them. I do have that setup on most of my running lights. For the amount I use them... it wouldn't be cost effective... besides... I would be motoring around anyway... no battery draw.

I did however add an LED masthead anchor light fixture from HELLA (good to 2 miles). Very cool... however a little pricey.

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ

Sold me dead against them. They look very poor quality to me. I am sure the frig uses way more power than the lights do! Figure out a way to make the frig use less power and you are onto something!

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Lots of questions

What is the average life span for each type of lamp? How well do they withstand on-off cycles? I know that for incandescent filiments the thermal shock of being turned on can shorten the burn life, but I don't know the effect on the lamps you tested.
Jim the only bulb I have of the three with an actual hourly life span rating that I could find is the Sensibulb and they say 50,000 hours of use. Most seem to use terms like "long life". I actually own one of the original Sensibulbs from about three or four years ago and she's still going strong. If a constant current LED is designed correctly, and runs at a stable temp they can last a very, very long time. The one thing that kills LED's is heat so it must be dissipated and designed to run a a stable temp.

Your measurements gives an approximation of appearant brightness, but do you have any information on lumens/candlepower emitted, or the distribution of brightness/light energy over the area illuminated? The warmer color you mentioned from the Sensibulb would appear to imply a lower percentage of its energy being emitted in the bluer frequencies. That might be acceptable or even preferable, depending on the application, but its nice to know in evaluating the lamps.
That is what my experiments are about, apparent, what you see, real world results. Every manufacturer claims their bulbs are the brightest, warmest, have the wideast beam width etc. but we know that just isn't true. As a matter of fact both the Sensibulb and the Marinebeam MR-11 claim beam widths of 120 degrees. The Sensibulb hits & wraps the ceiling yet teh MarineBeam MR-11 does not even extend to the top of the wall. Clearly we can't always trust what a manufacturer claims or the Sensibulb and the MarineBeam would illuminate the same widths. I actually try very hard to take the "science" out of my experiments and show, what you the bulb owner, will actually see. None of the manufacturers have done a comparison like this, not surprising, and unknowing sailiors can only trust the manufacturers marketing. Even the light ouptut colors can't totally be trusted as both the Dr. LED bulb (3200k) and the MarineBeam bulb (3100k) claim very similar color output numbers. If you look at those two photos it's very clear someone is not being 100% truthful! The Sensibulb claims 2800k.

I wiould like ot see the same photo of the original incandescent.
I will shoot it tonight when I get home. I left all my G4 Halogens on the boat as well as my multimeter to monitor current draw.

I have about 20 Super Bright LEDs G4-WHP6 White LED lamps on my boat. They seem to be quite a bit cheaper than Maine Sail has tested. They run 11.95 each. For 14.95 you can run a 10 LED cluster (G4-WHP10). They both come in Cool White 7000K or Warm White 3100K. If interested check out http://www.superbrightleds.com/ and look for the G4-WHP6 or G4-WHP10 units. These would seem to be comparable to the Marine Beam MR11 units shown above.
You'll be glad to know that I just ordered a Superbrite G4-WH6P in warm white. It is my gut feeling at this point, after Tim R. compared a Marinebeam festoon and another "copy cat" as they call them, an they were identical, that the G4-WHP6 is the identical bulb sourced from the same manufacturer yet for $10.00 less. As soon as I get it I will add it to the mix and give my unbiased opinion. If it is the same bulbs as the MarineBeam MR-11 it will certainly be a :best buy" bulb!

Very nice study - only significant info missing that seems important to me is current draw. The key advantage to LED's is low current - long battery life. Are they all very similar or is MarineBeam's apparent output advantage the result of consuming more power?
My meter was on the boat and I will meaure the draw of the bulbs in miliamps. I can tell you that when using the Xantrex XBM both the Sensibulb and the Marinebeam measured the same draw of .2 amps per hour. Of course that meter only goes out to the tenths..

I'll stick with good old fashion light bulbs thank you very much.
No one is holding a gun to your head!;) It's your boat, use what you want, but many here are interested even if you are not..

The cost of the lamps can be balanced against the cost of a larger battery bank if incandescents were used.
This is primarily why we switched to LED's. We were on the borderline between omre batts or less current draw. Even with Sensibulbs at $36.00 each it still cost far less than a battery bank upgrade. Of course I've now spent far more than I had planed on LED's doing this experiment for you guys..:doh:Somebody had to do it...

I have stayed away from running light conversions due to USCG certifications. Currently Dr. LED offers a few bulbs that have been tested and certified in other manufacturers fixtures such as Aquasignal. Technically if you were to get into an accident at night the lawyers would eat you for lunch for not having a USCG certified lighting fixture whether the accident was your fault or not. My good friend Kim's father was killed a number of years ago on a big lake in NH. A large part of the defenses case revolved around running lights and the forensic evidence that proved it was actually on at the time of the accident. If it had been a non certified bulb they may have lost and a drunk boater who killed her father may have walked.

I try to stay away from things that can boarder on safety/legal issues. That bing said I use a non certified anchor light but also have a fully certified anchor light too and would use it in areas of increased potential danger. I won't suggest that you do the same though as that is a personal choice. USCG running lights are certified as a package the fixture and a specific bulb together.

Nice job, as usual Mainesail. I also wish to thank you for your winterizing article. Based on it I brought a turkey baster with me yesterday and it definitely made repriming the fresh water pump easier. Oops...another thanks is due...I rebedded a stanchion and, based on your advice, countersunk the deck holes to allow more surface area for the caulk. The only bummer was that after I had the stanchion off I traced the leak to the hull to deck joint nearby.BobM
Always glad to help in any way I can..

Sold me dead against them. They look very poor quality to me.
Jim please keep in mind that a camera sees color temperature much differently than does the human eye. The warmer bulbs look much more yellow on camera than they do in real life but the comparison between color temps stands fairly accurate. The whitest bulb actually looks blue in real life and the Sensibulb (most yellow on camera) actually looks about as close to a Halogen as you can get.

My wife had nixed about three other LED bulbs without even knowing I had installed them. After I installed the Sensibulbs she never even noticed. Some of these bulbs are very, very good and some are not that is my entire point to show the differences so you guys don't thow good money away. The fact that the Dr. LED MR-11 is $28.99 is odd to me especially when compared to the Sensibulb or the MarineBeam given the respective price differences. If the Superbright bulb that I just ordered even comes close to the MarineBeam it will represent a great value.

Hope I answered all the current questions? Whew!!!!!!

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Re: Lots of questions

Mainesail, When you run your next set of tests, light a single candle and place a mirror between the flame and the camera just for a comparison. That way all of the candle light is directed towards the door or out to the sides. It will be good to see what sort of picture you can get with just one candle flame. Thanks.

Oct 22, 2008

Maine Sail-

The Dr. LED bulbs are USCG certified for use in the AquaSignal 25 and 40 series fixtures they're designed to fit... Using bulbs that were specifically designed for use in navigation light fixtures and are not certified for use as such is a bad idea, especially, as Maine Sail points out, it would leave you open to significant legal issues if you were to get hit while using them. However, Dr. LED's bulbs are certified, and I have them on my boat... all of the running lights, except the steaming light, are LED based...and it saves quite a bit of power on a long night sail.