Leaks at the Hatch

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
Hunter 31 0 TSS, Apollo Beach FL
Hunter 31, 1987: I have rain water cascading down the inside bulkhead wall between the engine area and the small wall directly above the engine shelf.
I have been in the rain with it and hosed the decks, roof and the roof/line cover.
It definitely is coming from the starboard side of the hatch area, in the neighborhood where the lines feed from the mast to the clutches (the roof/cover). The channels that take the water away from the roof/cover, was caulked with silicone, recently removed, I have run a hose on the hatch cover itself and watched a ton of dirt, leaves and what not come out of the chanel that is feed from this area. At the same time I have water coming down the inside cabin wall and then into the engine compartment.
I guess my question comes down to this, the roof cover needs to be addressed, wether removed or cut loose.
Has anyone ever done it successfully.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Here is a picture of the sea hood area on an H-31from a forum member. If the forward drains for the slider pocket get plugged, the water will get out at the lowest point. It seems strange that it is cascading in from that far aft, but probably is water that is draining from the stbd side "horn" extension on the slider cover. Getting the sea hood off is kind of a big job and re-sealing the 9 bajillion screws that hold it down is a lesson in patience and humility!
H31%20Companionway%20Hatch%20Cover%20Removed-2.jpg

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
Thanks, removing is not the avenue, but an absolute last resort.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Remove that piece and clean old caulk. Caulk all the way across the side of the teak and screws. A common cause on the slider hatches on the Hunter trailerable sailboats where water does not run off into drip rails but into the cabin. I would check that.

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
On the H31 that particular piece of teak is above the ceiling/hatchway, it is impossible to remove except to take off the covered sea hood. see the picture that "Kloudie1" shows in his post. Thanks for your help.

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
My answer to my own post was to have a local shop make a sail rite material hatch cover, that is waterproof.
This works great when not using the boat, but if out and about I still seem to get water from the hatch area.