Leak from the aft of boat

Oct 20, 2017
Hunter Legend 37.5 langkawi
HI All,
I am having my boat in Phuket , a hunter legend 37.5 with extensive refit in Phuket. All sea cocks were changed, along with through hulls, P bracket and cutless bearing, and also installed a PSS seal.
The rudder was also dropped and the bottom seal changed, top or upper one was ok.
First problem encountered on boat entering water - serious leak as seen in the picture. The hole shown was cut to try to locate the leak.
Appreciate any advise as to where this could be coming from. this is just in an area below the engine coming from the back ,
exhaust hose check and is ok.
Also appreciate any assistance to get the tension of the rigging as this too as been renewed.
My biggest nightmare is the leak and is also costing me a lot as need to trouble shoot. pls help.

rgds

fabian

Attachments

Jul 6, 2013
Hunter 336 Société Nautique de Genève
Couple suggestions, assuming it’s not the items you already replaced as mentioned:
  • Check the raw water cooling circuit (entry to strainer to pump to heat exchanger to exhaust elbow to exit).
  • Check the stuffing box connecting the engine to the propeller shaft. It should drip a few times a minute motoring, but not the rest of the time.
  • Check the fresh water circuit (tank to pump to house water heater to all sink / shower faucets, including swim shower if you have one).
  • Check the closed cooling circuit, although the water in your picture doesn’t show antifreeze color. Include the circuit between the engine and your house water heater and back).
You don’t mention the speed of the leak. If it’s been raining a lot, it could be rain water entering from a porthole with a bad seal, a stanchion base, or numerous other deck fixtures.

Good luck.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There is a simple way to look for leaks. Pressurize the cabin and air has to escape. Using a brush dipped into soapy water and brushed over fitting, port and so on, where you see air bubbling out, well that can be a leak. I use to close all ports and put tape over the hatches. Then using a large piece of plastic taped over the companionway, I then slit it and inserted a leaf blower and taped that too. Turned that on and the second person started brushing. Just an old yard/dealer trick to pass on.

Dec 23, 2003
Hunter H31 83-87 Captain's Cove Bridgeport, CT
I had a leak took awhile to find, it ended up being the clear plastic barrel of the raw water filter. It had cracked and I couldn’t see the crack.