Leak around top of compression post

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
With the recent heavy rains in the northwest, I discovered that my new to me 1993 Legend 35.5 has a small leak coming down the top of the compression post. I used a mirror to inspect the space between the deck and cabin liner and it appears that the water is coming in at the base of the mast and dripping down the screws that hold the compression post to the roof top with corrosion around one of the screws.
I tried using a high pressure nozzle to clean any gunk from the mast drain holes, but that didn't solve the problem or I didn't hit the right spots. I have two questions: 1.) What is the most likely source of the water and how to stop it from coming in? 2.) How to remove the compression post to clean up the corrosion around the screws and reseal the area? Does the mast need to be removed first, or can the standing rigging just be loosened to remove the compression post?

Attachments

Feb 5, 2010
Hunter Legend 35.5 Fort Pierce, FL
Same symptoms on our '91 35.5. Having just had standing rigging replaced we consulted rigger. Suggested silicone in wiring bundle coming thru conduit from mast into area above compression post panel. We took a 4" length of vinyl tubing and stuck it onto nozzle of silicone caulk tube. We stuck the tube up into the wiring bundle in various locations and applied silicone while retracting the the nozzle. Three different locations in the wiring bundle. Also cleaned all silicone from base of mast step on top of cabin and used a pointy tool to clean drain passages. Left silicone on 4 screw heads. Big rains over last two weeks. No leaks yet. Fingers crossed. Good luck.

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion. I will certainly try stuffing silicone into the tube on my next visit to the boat.

Feb 5, 2010
Hunter Legend 35.5 Fort Pierce, FL
Just an observation we've had on our boat. How did they get the compression post panel around the post?? Ours looks like they built the post around it.

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
I had the same observation about the panel. Mine looks like thin plywood with a plastic laminate. The wood is moldy, so it looks like I will have to cut it away and fashion a replacement in two pieces.