LCD TV/PC Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Because I so respect the wisdom of my fellow Hunter owners I thought I would ask before I buy. As a Cherubini owner I have limited space available on the boat(H37C). I have been looking for the best buy in a "thin" TV. This one(Related Link) has the advantage of doubling as my laptop monitor(I think). Seems like an ideal way to "project" the charts. Naturally I would add a DVD player and have to install a decent antenna with amplifier. Not sure where I would put it. Nav area is already loaded up. A smaller LCD monitor could be used at the helm but that is another story. Any thoughts, positive or negative, will be much appreciated.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
TV/Data center

Ed Here is what I did on my 336. Its a TV similar to what your looking at. I just mounted it atop the nav station and it swivels and dips(to change angle)from glare. Just curious as to what is behind shelf where your yanmar manual is located? I mean if its a yanmar it never breaks anyway! Cheers Rick

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Here's what I did.

When you tear out the whole interior, you can do anything you want. :) This flat screen is also hooked to the laptop. But for us, the laptop has proved better for viewing charts. (closer) I built the DVD 5-1 sound system around the flat screen so you don't sit close to the TV to gain any advantage viewing charts compared to the 14" lap top.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Here's the lap top.

This one is a 'new' hand me down from our son. Last summer we used a laptop with a 12" screen for charting. This one has a 14" screen and is as large as can fit in the available space. A stock H34 has just a flat wall so any size screen would fit. Other shots and explanations are on my web site. For these two photos, see #68 and #102. P.S. Ed, go for it. No matter what you choose, it's hard to lose. P.S.2. Both of these displays are hooked to 12vdc without the provided bricks. The laptop takes 2amps, the TV uses 3amps.

J

Jeff Bacon

Ed.....

....mount it on my boat, and you can come over and watch it any time......... Jeff

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
AC or DC power requirements?

Ed: Are these unit AC or DC powered? They only show 13 Watts. PS: How is retirement?

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Fred TV

Always amazed when I go to your website and check out where you started. You should start a sailing extreme makeover show. Another nice job. I decided to mount like I did because it wouldnt take up any room on the nav panel for future use... and since I have the DVD its a nice angle to eat tv dinners and watching James Bond in the salon. Seems like Ed should have no problem. Cheers Rick

Jun 2, 2004
Fred, Rick, and Jeff.

Thanks for the help. My first priority is to make sure I am not paying too much for an inferior product. I keep reading that LCD prices will drop. Anyway I wrote for physical dimensions. It does have a 12 volt power supply for 110 plug in. I would wire directly to 12 volts. Fred, I have always studied your projects. And knew of this one. Unfortunately I do not have your talents for boat modifications. Nor the time. Rick, there is lots of space above the shelf. But I am not sure that I want to give up the space for the big books. And my Yanmar is so old that the manual is my insurance. It is probably there because I adjusted the valves this spring. Jeff, we can both go over to Steve's H426. What is his LCD, about 30"? And surely your boat has one. You know that I have never been below on your H386? Soon though.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Contact the mfg first.

Ed: I purchased a Samsung 15" LCD TV/monitor a couple of years ago. I also thought that I could wire it to the DC system. I was told that it was not recommended. Something about the DC currect not be stable enough.... So I would suggest that you check with the mfg. before you do it and wreck a $300 investment.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Rick, thank you! That was awfully nice.

Steve, as long as the brick puts out around 12 volts DC Ed will be fine. The reason the bricks convert AC to DC is that virtually all electronics run on DC. And it's easier for the manufacturer to start with 12 volts and go from there. Just be sure of polarity prior to powering up. Steve the alternative at anchor or under way is to take 12 volts from the ships battery bank(s), invert via a square wave inverter to AC (Mine's a ProSine), then plug in the brick and convert back to 12 volts. How inefficient and unstable is THAT?

Jun 7, 2004
Birch Bay Washington
12 volts is not always 12 volts

Expect your boats 12 volt system to be a few volts higher than 12 volts. It depends on a number of factors and can be up to 15 volts or so and some go higher than that. When charging, mine goes up to 14.4. Depending on the specific device, that may or may not matter. Some electronics have additional built in regulation which will adjust to these differences and some do not. Best to ask the manufacturer unless you know for sure.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
And if you can't reach them,

calls to the third world are not always easy, and if you are worried about it, install a regulator in the power supply line. It's been many years since I did that so I can't advise, (I'm no expert either) but the guys here, ARE. Put out the word and help will arrive. Total cost would be less than $1.

D

Dan Johnson

LCD TV's

Ed, Fred, Rick, et al, if you look hard enough you can find a 15 inch LCD tv for under around $400. I picked up a discontinued Magnavox one for under $300 over the Holidays (also a PC monitor). I just picked up a swing arm unit from Cir. Cty to mount it to the vanity side bulkhead on my H-34 (and a DVD player to go with it). The best find was a color TV camera with infrared lighting and 60 feet of cord for $40 at BJ's--it's a little bigger than a golf ball and will fit through small openings to peer into those dark spaces no one has seen (except maybe Fred) since the boat was put together. Mounted on a board with a sail slug for a guide and it could be run up the mast for a quick look-see.

Jun 2, 2004
Magnavox LCD TV

Funny you should mention that Dan. I saw the 15" Magnavox in Sam's yesterday for $333. I threw in a couple of bids for one on E-Bay but still have not met the reserve. With shipping it will be more than the Sam's unit(15MF200V). And their "Buy It Now" price is over $500.! That BJ camera sounds like a winner. Those are some neat ideas for its use.

Jun 2, 2004
Did it, 15"!

I hope this was not a mistake. I just finished a bidding war on E-Bay and got a 15" Real for $270. According to the specs it has a Samsung display. After seeing the 15" Magnavox I decided that was the size I wanted. There are four more at the Related Link.

M

Marc_B

ebay bidding

Ed - This is off topic for your tv, but if you're purchasing items on ebay and getting into bidding wars, the software at the attached link helps, and frees you from having to stay glued to your computer. Regards, Marc_B

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 25.5 Carlyle, IL
eBay Bidding

If you have your eye on an item, rather than getting into a bidding war, wait until there's a minute or two to go, then jump into the bidding.

D

Dan Johnson

Mounting

Ed, when you've got the TV, go to Circuit City and check out the mounts they have for LCD TV's and speakers. They're pricy but the design will save you hours of fabrication time. They mount a 75 or 100 mm bolt pattern, apparently a common design among the LCD flat screen units. Mounted to a bulkhead it will take up less space, be unlikely to take a dive on a sudden heel, and you can remove the swivel base for a clean look.

Jun 2, 2004
Dan's LCD Mounting Tip.

Thanks for the tip Dan. Circuit City is where I go when I don't get it on E-Bay. Might just drop by this afternoon. I will try to get to the boat on Sunday for a rough fitting. It will have to be with a cardboard template, unit is not here yet. Found this on the Circuit City site: OmniMount Flip-Down Mount for Small LCD TVs (Up to 40 lbs.) (75/100-FD) If this is it there are two on E-Bay(Related Link).

Feb 12, 2005
- - Lake Worth, FL
Heres what i have done

On my last boat, I went down to Frys and found a 15" LCD SVGA monitor / TV that took 12V DC. from a wall-wart type power adapter. I then made a power regulator with 3 LM7818 power regulating semiconductors in parallel for a total of 3 amps of 12V power. They are real easy to use, just In, Out, and Ground, and put a 25V cap on ground and out to even out the surges. This made sure i got 12V DC in it 100% of the time & didnt fry it. The regulators take from 12 to 24 volts, with 60 volt surge. heres a web site that has a how to: http://www.iguanalabs.com/7805kit.htm just switch the LM7805 for a LM7812 for 12 volts. As a added item for durability, i put heat sinks on the LM7812s to give them better overcurrent preformance.

Status
Not open for further replies.