Lazy Jacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Antares

Anybody have experience with lazy jacks? I'm thinking of installing one in my Cat 27 but can't decide which brand or if they're bad on the Main Sail(chafe). I also read from ads that they work better on full batten (should i get one?).

S

Steve Treppa

Lazy Jacks are Good and Bad

I've got lazy jacks on my C-30. They're great when dropping the main but a PAIN when hoisting it. Even with my full batten main the battens get caught in the lazy jack on the way up unless we get lucky enough to hold an exact windward course during the hoist. I haven't noticed any chaffing on the main however. I guess I feel that the ease at which they help you take the sail down outweighs the problems during the hoist. I say go for it!

D

Dan

We sail (not full battens) with lazy jacks on a C-27. No sign of chafing whatsoever. Steve is right, it is a lot easier to make sail if you are dead into the wind and it helps if there is a spare hand to seperate the battens when they stick on the jack(s). But, for all of that, it is a great convenience when you drop the main and it doesn't blow around. Do it!

E

Echo Gulf

Lazy Jacks!!!

We use lazy jacks on our C27, with a full batten main. The ease of operation and control are worth the added expense of both sail and lazy jacks. Our system is 3 years old now and we've not noticed any chaffing. As for getting caught in the lines when raising sail, this can easily be overcome with some careful adjustments (trial and error method. I strongly urge you to consider both lazy jacks and a full batten main.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

You can make your own

If you're handy, try making a set on your own. I understand they're quite spendy to buy (maybe that just means more than I want to spend!). "Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat" by Dan Spurr has a design for a home-built system. I know I've also seen designs in the sailing rags like Cruising World, etc. You might even be able to search the web & find some there. I've been meaning to make my own system cuz I'd really like the convenience & ease of it. Good to know the tips on raising it though! LaDonna

C

Carey Curtis - DOWN EAST

Make lazy jacks GOOD.

I have a full batten main with lazy jacks. To keep the battens from catching on the jacks, I slacken the cleated end and pull both lines on each side of the mast forward to the rear of the mast. Then fasten them there with a bungee clipped to the lines and running under my whisker pole fitting on the front of the mast (or under the cleats on the side of the mast. No hang-ups.

H

Hayden Watson

e-z-jax

I have the E-Z-jax system on my C30 TR and it solves all of the problems mentioned before. The system is out of the way along the boom when hoisting the sail. As a added bonus you don't need to modify your sail cover. If you want more info, check out their system discription at http://www.ezjax.com/ezjax/ezinac.html Hayden Watson S/V Papillon '88 C30 TR Spokane, WA

M

Mike Beaujean

Lazy Jacks - Sail Dec 1999

The Dec 1999 issue of SAIL magazine has an excellent article regarding lazyjacks. Check it out! Mike Beaujean 1983 Catalina 27 "Timeless Flight" MLBEAUJEAN@AOL.COM

Status
Not open for further replies.