Lazy Jacks Hunter 50

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Can anyone tell me how to correctly rig the lazy jacks? As I am not the original owner, I don't know if the sail cover is from Hunter? The system has a fixed cable with eye that extends from the spreaders, attached about 18" from the mast. The movable lines are then attached thru this eye, and then thru another eye on another movable line. There is also a block on the boom, along with a cleat near the mast. Right now I am not using the block or cleat. When I want to slacken the sail cover, I have to loosen the knot tied to the sail covers straps. I am sure the block and cleat are there for a reason, but haven't fully figured out how to properly rig?

Attachments

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
What you have is one way to install a sail bag. Another more convenient install is to replace the cable portion with line that runs to the spreaders, turns on a block and back down the mast to near the gooseneck where you cleat it off. This makes it easy to slack or tighten the sail bag, one side at a time. No need to untie knots or work on a swinging boom.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
What Gunni said.
On a Hunter 50, I don't know if it will matter, but it's nice to have the line led aft so you can ease the jacks from the cockpit. We have a 30 with a Dutchman cleated at the mast. Same basic needs. My plans are to run it back.

Jun 15, 2012
Yes, I know that having a movable line to replace the stationary one sounds like a good idea. I am first trying to figure out what is the intended rigging of the present system installed?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Your installed lazy jacks provide full function to adjust the bag, you just have to do so on a swinging boom while tying a trucker’s hitch. That is suboptimal and should probably be done while clipped to your jack line. :sosad: You will much prefer adjusting your sail bag with a cleat on the mast.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yes, I know that having a movable line to replace the stationary one sounds like a good idea. I am first trying to figure out what is the intended rigging of the present system installed?
You don't show much to go on. Are you asking about the block and cleat on the boom in the diagram that is cut off in the picture? Is it the same on both sides?

Jun 15, 2012
Justin, the block and cleat is present on both sides of the boom. I am sorry it is cut off in the picture. I will take some more pictures and post. As far as your posting about about running a line to the aft of the boom, I think on the Hunter 50 it might be too high from the cockpit to handle. Will take a look over the weekend.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Justin, the block and cleat is present on both sides of the boom. I am sorry it is cut off in the picture. I will take some more pictures and post. As far as your posting about about running a line to the aft of the boom, I think on the Hunter 50 it might be too high from the cockpit to handle. Will take a look over the weekend.
Not aft on the boom. rather turned at the base of the mast to a cleat maybe on the cabin top.
Could those unused blocks and cleats have been used to adjust the jacks in the past?

PJL

Apr 22, 2014
Hunter 42 Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
My Passage 42 is rigged in a similar way to your Lazy Jacks. However, where your fixed cable attaches to the mast, I have line that goes through a block and then down to a cleat. That allows me to easily get the LJs out of the way and to lower the sides of the sail cover.