Launching/Returning boat to hard, buyer’s costs

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
... Too many good boats out there to fool with the yard queens.
Might depend on where you are if that is true. In the yard we are in (Florida) most of the owners, lots of Canadians, come down in the fall and put the boat in for 4-6 months and head home in the spring before the hot weather and hurricane season.

Personally I'd rather look at a boat in the yard. You can look at almost all the systems mentioned, including the bottom which can be a huge expense if it needs work. You can run the engine, inspect the sails, canvas, etc. If everything is fine and you mainly want to know that it floats and doesn't leak then you can spend the money to put it in and would probably get that money back if you bought the boat,

Sumner
=================================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
and would probably get that money back if you bought the boat,
Agreed. The boat I bought was recommissioned and launched, and I paid nothing for that, since I bought the boat.

The sequence of things is important. We had done a survey, negotiated, and agreed on a price, in writing, subject to sea trial. If the sea trial didn't work out, I was on the hook for hauling and winterizing.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
"The only time I've run across an unexplainable list was when the steel shot used as the ballast in a keel, rusted solid when the boat (built in Taiwan) had an empty tank on one side for over a year. That was a hard one to work out." brilliant diagnosis ! never would a thought a that ...

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
I agree that if the boat's on the hard because the owner has already bought another boat, that's a different story. Easy to ask the broker if that's the situation. Or better, talk to the PO.