Launching / Retrieving a Catalina 22 with a Prius....?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I've often thought about selling the old Suburban and renting twice a year to park the boat. Big trucks are just so darn useful though.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Anybody say you can't do that with a Prius yet? :)

Long ago, when I was young and dumb, I towed a small ski boat with my..... Subaru Brat. 1600cc, 5spd manual. In Ohio, which was good, as it struggled to make it up to overpasses, let alone actual hills. First retrieval, front wheels just spun and spun and Brat, boat, and myself inched towards the lake. In 4wd it worked just fine. It was dumb because it was fine at the ramp, but lousy on the road - too small a vehicle.

Rent, borrow, buy a $500 beater, or pay some guy at the marina $20 and a 6 pack. Do not use the Prius. It won't work, and you'll destroy the Prius.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I used to launch with a Ford Ranger. If the ramp was slimy I’d have to put the kids in the bed to get enough traction to start the pull.

There is a good reason why launch and retrieval is considered a spectator sport.

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
I did a ton of searching but couldn't find any exact answers. I have my boat living on a trailer at the marina, its only 30' or so from the boat launch. Boat launch is not too steep. I just bought a 2017 Prius V. The trailer hitch is definitely not rating to tow it anywhere as its max is 2,000lbs. The tongue weight of my C22 is well below the limit of the hitch (limit is 200#s) at about 75#. It would sure be convenient if I can launch and retrieve my boat with the Prius rather than bring my F450 down for it (used it many times, just a huge chore). My HM said he'd pull me up if I get in to trouble but I'm curious if anyones done it...? I have a fear of being dragged into the water as I back down. Also, no idea if this car has enough power to pull the boat back out. Again, just for launch / retrieve, anyone done this...? Thanks so much in advance.
The C22 plus trailer weighs about 2500#. Watch a few “Boat Launch Fails” on YouTube before you try it.

shank

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 27 5231 Lake Champlain
I have a Prius and used to have a 87 Catalina 22 on a trailer and there's no way I would try this. That boat is way too heavy for the car especially on a wet boat ramp. My Prius barely makes it up my snowy paved driveway on a steep incline. I don't think I would even pull just the trailer with a Prius. I rent a F-150 pickup from U-Haul for $35 twice a year.

Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
No comment on the Prius but 75# tongue weight is way too low! It should be well over 200# for that size boat. You are likely to start fishtailing and lose control if you do trailer it anywhere at over 30 mph. I ended up moving my trailer axle back about 10" to get the balance right on my VN23.

Mar 4, 2021
Catalina 22 Coyote Point
Thanks everyone, appreciate your responses. Again, some people misread and think I'm planning to tow with the Prius. No, I am not doing that. Just moving it around the launch area at the marina, its flat and never get over 3-4 mph. My hitch tongue is rated for 200lbs and 2000lbs max tow weight. C22 tongue weight is light, under 100lbs as I can lift it myself. The weight seems to be well centered on the axle. Today I got the hitch all setup and moved the boat, as there are trees falling and I had to put it somewhere safer. No issues whatsoever. Our boat ramp is not steep at all, and not slimy. I also have an extendable trailer tongue, extends out about 8', so I can stay way clear of the water. I think I am going to try it in about 6-8 weeks when I heal up (ugh surgery is planned week after next) and have my truck there as a backup with a strap to stop it from being pulled into the water or to help me retrieve.... And yes, all you spectators I will definitely video tape it and will post back. BTW - Here's a photo of it as I reparked it today. Seemed to handle fine. Still need to find out if its all wheel drive or just front. Feels like FWD.

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You are going to do it anyway? Why did you ask?

PS I saw Chevy Volt, not Bolt, with a ball hitch yesterday. What is he thinking?

Mar 4, 2021
Catalina 22 Coyote Point
Well, yeah...! Nobody posted who actually tried it so I'll do it. Imma do it as safely as possible, but yeah someone gotta do it...! And I asked to see if anyone tried it.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Thanks everyone, appreciate your responses. Again, some people misread and think I'm planning to tow with the Prius. No, I am not doing that. Just moving it around the launch area at the marina, its flat and never get over 3-4 mph. My hitch tongue is rated for 200lbs and 2000lbs max tow weight. C22 tongue weight is light, under 100lbs as I can lift it myself. The weight seems to be well centered on the axle. Today I got the hitch all setup and moved the boat, as there are trees falling and I had to put it somewhere safer. No issues whatsoever. Our boat ramp is not steep at all, and not slimy. I also have an extendable trailer tongue, extends out about 8', so I can stay way clear of the water. I think I am going to try it in about 6-8 weeks when I heal up (ugh surgery is planned week after next) and have my truck there as a backup with a strap to stop it from being pulled into the water or to help me retrieve.... And yes, all you spectators I will definitely video tape it and will post back. BTW - Here's a photo of it as I reparked it today. Seemed to handle fine. Still need to find out if its all wheel drive or just front. Feels like FWD.
This photo should be an ad for the Prius!

dj

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Well, yeah...! Nobody posted who actually tried it so I'll do it. Imma do it as safely as possible, but yeah someone gotta do it...! And I asked to see if anyone tried it.
Evidently no one here has. Think there might be a reason? Good luck with it.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
You stated your tongue weight was only 75 pounds so I dont think that's going to have a big impact on traction plus your front wheels will stay dry. I would tie chains or large ratchet strap between the Prius and a recovery vehicle and give it a try. I recall someone mentioned that they occasionally use their Smart car to move their 30ish foot boat around their property. Without having a Toyota engineer as a friend, the only real way to find out is to give it a try

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Quick internet search produced this.

Toyota recommends that the Prius not be used as a towing vehicle. There are of course some people that install hitches and pull very light trailers (under 1,000 lbs) with them, but it is not recommended. ... The Toyota Prius has a very small 1.5 litre engine and does not rev that high.
BUT, it has an electric drive also, with lots of torque on the low end. Agreed, probably not good to tow that boat with the Prius, but we did regularly tow our jetski with ours. Had 305,000 miles on it when it was totaled, so I guess it didn't hurt it too much...

• Ha
Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I'm not officially suggesting you do that but as a comparison we regularly towed, launched and retrieved our Catalina 22 with our 1974 Volvo 245 wagon. It had, I think, no more than 123 horsepower and weighed a little less than 3,000 pounds. I think that's less weight and horsepower than your Prius V. It was a little squirrely at times but since you are only using it to launch and retrieve I'm guessing you would be ok. With the extension tongue on the trailer your wheels should be out of the water when the boat's weight is fully on the trailer and your front wheel drive tires should be on good ground (you do have good tires I assume). Just take it easy. And besides, you have someone to rescue you if things go south, right?

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
BUT, it has an electric drive also, with lots of torque on the low end. Agreed, probably not good to tow that boat with the Prius, but we did regularly tow our jetski with ours. Had 305,000 miles on it when it was totaled, so I guess it didn't hurt it too much...
I'm no expert but I've been in a prius before, and it did not have "lots of torque on the low end." I've never heard someone describe a prius that way.