Launching / Retrieving a Catalina 22 with a Prius....?

Mar 4, 2021
Catalina 22 Coyote Point
I did a ton of searching but couldn't find any exact answers. I have my boat living on a trailer at the marina, its only 30' or so from the boat launch. Boat launch is not too steep. I just bought a 2017 Prius V. The trailer hitch is definitely not rating to tow it anywhere as its max is 2,000lbs. The tongue weight of my C22 is well below the limit of the hitch (limit is 200#s) at about 75#. It would sure be convenient if I can launch and retrieve my boat with the Prius rather than bring my F450 down for it (used it many times, just a huge chore). My HM said he'd pull me up if I get in to trouble but I'm curious if anyones done it...? I have a fear of being dragged into the water as I back down. Also, no idea if this car has enough power to pull the boat back out. Again, just for launch / retrieve, anyone done this...? Thanks so much in advance.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Quick internet search produced this.

Toyota recommends that the Prius not be used as a towing vehicle. There are of course some people that install hitches and pull very light trailers (under 1,000 lbs) with them, but it is not recommended. ... The Toyota Prius has a very small 1.5 litre engine and does not rev that high.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Hi Coyote
Have you seen those youtube videos of vehicles that are sinking at the boat ramp?
Most of these are vehicles with large engines.
The biggest problem is that they have no weight over the rear axle and no traction.
How much weight does your Prius have over the rear axle?
How much
horsepower does it have?
What would it cost if things didn't go the way you planned?

Check one out. And think, "That could be me."

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
I am a Prius owner. I dont think I would try this one.. Prius is front wheel drive putting a trailer on it will take weight off the front tires. In my thinking it would give you less traction while trying to go up the ramp. Good luck and definitely film it if you try!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Try it with an empty trailer first just to get a feel for it.

Then pull the boat around the yard see how that feels.

Maybe there is another boat you could try with that does not weigh as much as yours to try with as well.

In low gear around the yard not trying to go faster than 15mph or so go for it. I don't see the boat sucking the car down the ramp that happens on slimy ramps or doing something totally bone headed. If that is a concern attach the front of the car to a fixed object or another vehicle with just enough line to keep you from getting all wet.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
We've owned Prius's over the years. It is front wheel drive, if I remember correctly, so your weight will be on a non-driving axle at the rear, not the front, which might be a problem - especially on an incline. Also, there's no gearing on the Prius - it has a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), so you just have drive, reverse and park - you can't force it into a low gear (supposedly it already starts there). Another thing I found disconcerting was when trying to drive in the snow and needing wheelspin to keep moving the car would just not let me, so instead of allowing me to use wheelspin judiciously to keep up momentum the car would just come to a stop with my foot to the floor. Then, since it was snow and slippery, the car wouldn't let me apply power to get moving again as it sensed wheel slip. If your ramp is wet, and your Prius has the same system that won't let you shut off the antislip, you'll be stuck in place. The car is so light I don't recommend it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Many FWD vehicles tow boats out at the ramps. You can hear their tires screaming as they try to get traction. What's worse about a Prius is the short wheelbase. You don't even get the advantage of weight further out front.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have no Prius. I have never launched a C22 with a small front wheel drive car.
I would be questioned by my wife:yikes: if I tried to launch a boat with her Prius.

That said. If you do decide to attempt this feat of daring do... Please have some one video it and share the video here.:biggrin:

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Not sure where you are located (salt or fresh water), but I wouldn't want to dip my Prius in a salt bath. It sits low and most of your wiring will get wet, not good for the longevity of your car. Not to mention the batteries.................

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Only one way to know for sure. Take video for our amusement!

You might make it, but it's obviously risky. Make sure you have a good attachment point if you do need a tug, not just an open hook. Have the right cluster hooks handy. Something like this:

You should also know how to turn off traction control to allow wheel spin when necessary.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
there's no gearing on the Prius - it has a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), so you just have drive, reverse and park - you can't force it into a low gear
If your car is as this is described it sounds like a bad idea.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Had a friend of mine that had a cigar boat. He owned something like a suburban. He would have to bury the rear axle in the water to launch his boat. It destroyed his vehicles axle bearings. He did this twice being covered under warranty. The second time the dealership asked what the heck he was doing with the vehicle and said they wouldn't cover it a third time. He went and bought a hummer.

If you can launch and not get your vehicle wet, it might work.

dj

Feb 5, 2009
Gloucester 20 Kanawha River, Winfield, WV
I launched a 1977 Thunderbird S18 with a 1986 Nissan 720 a few times back in the day. The 2WD 720 has a 2500ish pound curb weight. Specs for the Thunderbird put it at 2750 pounds and it was on a steel trailer which must have weighed a pound or two. I survived, as did the truck and boat, but I wouldn't strictly recommend such a setup.

boattruck.jpg

Feb 5, 2009
Gloucester 20 Kanawha River, Winfield, WV
RWD and a longer wheelbase. Also geared lower
If the Internet is to be believed, the Prius has a few more inches of wheelbase at 109.4 vs my truck's 101.4. (surprised me too) It also has 31 more ponies and is a lot heavier. Sill and all, if I'd had an F450 available somewhere back then, I would have used that.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If the Internet is to be believed, the Prius has a few more inches of wheelbase at 109.4 vs my truck's 101.4. (surprised me too) It also has 31 more ponies and is a lot heavier. Sill and all, if I'd had an F450 available somewhere back then, I would have used that.
That is surprising!