Launching 26' issues/concerns

Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
I first bought the sailboat and then said this to my wife, "If you want to go sailing I need to buy a truck to pull it". The look on her face was priceless. Needless to say I wear the pants so I bought a truck.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I first bought the sailboat and then said this to my wife, "If you want to go sailing I need to buy a truck to pull it". The look on her face was priceless. Needless to say I wear the pants so I bought a truck.
Ahahaha! Same here! But I bought a truck AND a shed to put the boat in! Yay! :)

Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
Hilarious. I also told me wife I need to remove the roof on my pole barn and go higher pitch and add a garage door so I can store the boat. She just shook her head and then said she needs a larger garden shed. I just shook my head... Uh no!

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Ahahaha! Same here! But I bought a truck AND a shed to put the boat in! Yay! :)
I'm still working on the shed to store Miss Behavin'. Here in SoCal it's not that big of a deal but when we move to MN it will be more important.

Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
I'm still working on the shed to store Miss Behavin'. Here in SoCal it's not that big of a deal but when we move to MN it will be more important.
So Call to MN. Enjoy! Where in MN? I grew up there and lived there my entire life except my time in the military and the last 15 years in Michigan.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
This would be more impressive if the truck was a Valentines day gift for your wife.. sometimes the priceless look alone is worth all the effort of the gesture..

Apr 19, 2012
So Call to MN. Enjoy! Where in MN? I grew up there and lived there my entire life except my time in the military and the last 15 years in Michigan.
My wife grew up in Bemidji but she wants to retire in Brainerd.

This would be more impressive if the truck was a Valentines day gift for your wife.. sometimes the priceless look alone is worth all the effort of the gesture..
That's a great idea! It would almsot be worth the month sleeping on the couch.

Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
Anywhere up north MN is gorgeous. We had a lake cottage on Sugar Lake just outside of Grand Rapids. Should have kept it when we moved to Michigan. We also lived on a lake for a few years just outside of Tow Harbors. Love northern MN and the Brainerd and Bemidji area is awesome--HOCKEY CITY!

Apr 19, 2012
Anywhere up north MN is gorgeous. We had a lake cottage on Sugar Lake just outside of Grand Rapids. Should have kept it when we moved to Michigan. We also lived on a lake for a few years just outside of Tow Harbors. Love northern MN and the Brainerd and Bemidji area is awesome--HOCKEY CITY!
I'm hoping for a place on a lake big enough to sail my Mac. I'll settle for a being within 5 minutes of a lake to sail my dinghy and within 45 minutes of a lake to sail our Mac. Still almost a year away though.

I've only been on ice skates 3 or 4 times in my life. My wife, on the other hand, used to be quite a hockey player. I keep thinking of an iceboat. That would be cool.

Jun 3, 2004
Oday 26 Lake Keowee,SC
on my lake in NE South Carolina they launch boat up to @ 30' with the tow strap... you just need a GOOD wheel at the front of the trailer, My 26 trailer I built a 20 ' extension bar and it works great... no part of the truck gets wet ( a good thing in salt water ) see the ODAY 26 modifications or email me and I can send jpgs of my trailer.

Apr 19, 2012
I'm hoping for a place on a lake big enough to sail my Mac. I'll settle for a being within 5 minutes of a lake to sail my dinghy and within 45 minutes of a lake to sail our Mac. Still almost a year away though. .
A little update... We found a nice home on 3-1/2 acres just outside of Nevis MN. (population 390) near Island Lake (One of many Minnesota lakes by that name). At 179 acres, Island Lake has plenty of room to sail our dinghy and the launch ramp is only 1/4 mile from our driveway. For those days when I want to sail our larger boat Leech Lake is only 17 miles away with over 100,000 surface acres.

...... 9 months, 7 days.....
..... I'm getting a little anxious.....

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Awesome... sounds like a great new adventure (its Monday and Im working on the sailboat today.. had to think for a second to remember it is a Monday)..

Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
A little update... We found a nice home on 3-1/2 acres just outside of Nevis MN. (population 390) near Island Lake (One of many Minnesota lakes by that name). At 179 acres, Island Lake has plenty of room to sail our dinghy and the launch ramp is only 1/4 mile from our driveway. For those days when I want to sail our larger boat Leech Lake is only 17 miles away with over 100,000 surface acres.

...... 9 months, 7 days.....
..... I'm getting a little anxious.....
Man I miss Minnesota but I guess I can't complain having my 26' on a slip on Lake Huron. Leech Lake is totally awesome and has monster northern in there and some muskie if I remember correctly. I am currently looking for a lakefront cottage to buy within 30 minutes from our slip. Then I can use the 17' on the small lake for the day and whip over to the 26' and sail Lake Huron. Only part that sucks is summers are at best 6 months long.

Apr 19, 2012
Man I miss Minnesota but I guess I can't complain having my 26' on a slip on Lake Huron. Leech Lake is totally awesome and has monster northern in there and some muskie if I remember correctly. I am currently looking for a lakefront cottage to buy within 30 minutes from our slip. Then I can use the 17' on the small lake for the day and whip over to the 26' and sail Lake Huron. Only part that sucks is summers are at best 6 months long.
Appreciate the info. I'll gladly take the 6 months of sailing over the 6 days of sailing I get now. :)

Good luck finding your lake-front cottage.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Appreciate the info. I'll gladly take the 6 months of sailing over the 6 days of sailing I get now. :)

Good luck finding your lake-front cottage.
Bud, if you only get 6 months you're doing it wrong..... ;^)

With any luck we're in the water up to thanksgiving.... And back in mid-late April.

Apr 19, 2012
Bud, if you only get 6 months you're doing it wrong..... ;^)

With any luck we're in the water up to thanksgiving.... And back in mid-late April.
I like that idea. I've even though of building (or buying) an iceboat and adding another 2-3 months of winter sailing.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Shucks... we are in May 1 and out by Oct 31. Considering freezes occur up to Memorial Day and start again as early as late Sept, the season feels awfully short sometimes.
Never Enough Sailing!