Last straw

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
We provide some latitude to well-established users who are serious contributors here. Mainesail, JudyB, and others can attest to that. Jackdaw's thread is an ad. There are plenty of ways to talk about a product without posting a giant product photo, links to social media, text that reads like brochure copy, etc. Rodd and Judy do it all the time.

I recognize that the product is interesting and there's value in the topic, but if we let it go what can we say to other users who want to post ads about their products? Because if we don't enforce the rule, trust me, overnight the forums will be filled with well-meaning spam. Our intent is not to run Jackdaw off the forums; that's his call. He was not banned and we didn't delete the thread. It's a reasonable rule and I'm sure Jackdaw would agree with that, too. This is simply a tricky application of it.

But I'm serious. If anyone has an idea on how we should navigate this kind of situation I'm wide open to ideas. We've struggled with it for years. But I have to be able to respond fairly to many, many others who would love to do the same.
Perhaps a separate Forum for "ad" type/Promotional information.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Its a bad look.
but not entirely unexpected. Sorry, I was never a fan of his brash and, at times, condescending approach. The post in question was clearly an advertisement even though it was a sailing product Jackdaw was very excited about. He was experienced and had some good posts but at times was a little hard to take. Some people just don't get how they come across or present themselves, or maybe just don't give a $h!T.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i think Clay is wonderful. i'm going to miss him. he always shared real knowledge of this wonderful sport!

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I forgot this, but we used to have a "Guest Forum" that would open for discussions of a product-related topic. I'm not sure if it's still on the list but we had folks from Doyle, Edson, PYI, Kohlmann (?), even Glen Henderson did a couple of good ones.

That would allow manufacturers to answer questions and do some light selling but confined to a specific place and time frame. Might be worth bringing back.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
While that may be an effective way to segregate advertising, given how ubiquitous internet advertising already is in everyday life, what value a separate section here would serve.
Might be worth a try…if I can “opt in” by selecting that forum, or opt out by not subscribing to it…

I didn’t even see Jackdaw’s post, so I have no idea what he said or how he said it… but sounds like it had advertisement qualities.

I don’t have a dog in the hunt, but others seem to offer their products for purchase very regularly…and while they are frequent and “expert” contributors, they are still selling their wares…so not sure that anyone should get special dispensation if the rule is “don’t sell here”.

I think our moderators do a great job, and as I said, I don’t have a dog in the hunt… I almost broke into a chorus of Kumbaya….

Greg

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I forgot this, but we used to have a "Guest Forum" that would open for discussions of a product-related topic. I'm not sure if it's still on the list but we had folks from Doyle, Edson, PYI, Kohlmann (?), even Glen Henderson did a couple of good ones.

That would allow manufacturers to answer questions and do some light selling but confined to a specific place and time frame. Might be worth bringing back.
I did not find the original post to be objectionable. I did find it to be informative but at the present time irrelevant to my needs so I looked at it and logged it for future reference and moved on. I do find Clay's input to be valuable to the discussions and his input will be missed.