Lancer 25 Companionway Cover Description and Photos Needed

Apr 20, 2020
Lancer 25 Portland
Hello Fellow Lancer 25 Owners,

I recently acquired a 1979 Lancer 25 and have a repair to make and I am not sure how to proceed. The companionway cover slides under the cabin top to allow access to the cabin. However, on my boat there is a gap above the sliding cover and below the cabin top that would seem to allow rain to enter right into the boat. I think that a piece is missing, but I'm not sure what that piece would look like and/or be made of. Any photos or description that a fellow Lancer 25 (or similar model?) boat would be willing to share of that space would be greatly appreciated. Is there a wooden piece? Rubber Gasket of some sort?

The photo in this post highlights the location of the gap.

Thanks.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome Aboard!!
I am not familiar with that specific boat, but generally speaking, the companionway cover pocket is drained so that water coming into the pocket goes onto the deck then overboard.. Sometimes the drains get plugged with debris or mud dauber nests.. Typically the sea hood (pocket cover) can be removed to replace the companionway slider or to clean the drains..
Again, WELCOME to the forum.. lots of good info here!!!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
These photos of a Lancer 25 look like your companionway and have a gap also. If concerned about whether rain would enter there perform a watertight test with a hose then check inside. Good idea for every boat to check leak tightness of windows, companionway, etc.
1588860961608.png

Apr 20, 2020
Lancer 25 Portland
Thanks for those additional photos. The one on the left looks a little more snug, but the one on the right looks very similar to mine. I'll spray that area next time I head to the boat to investigate. I imagined the water just pouring below. But I'll test it and clear away any debris along the sides and see if it all works out.

Thanks to both of you.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@msancomb Welcome to the forum.
I am not a “Lancer 25” owner, but I have experienced the change from small boats to larger boats.

Hope you find that which you search for from the forum. There are a great number of fine sailors here ready to share their knowledge.

Check out the forum on Pacific NW Cruisers.

Regarding your cabin top and sliding companionway cover, when you inspected the boat did you see a lot of water in the boat?

All boat builders are a bit different sharing their own ideas as to how a boat should be built. when you look at the cabin top that is hidden under the front section of the cabin (that part that is sliding in) is there a raised bump? This bump is likely to have 2 purposes. One to stop you from grabbing the slide portion and yanking it out into the cockpit. And two deflecting any rain water from getting up under the cabin roof and spilling into the center of your cabin.

As the slider is a bit bowed it looks like Water would shed towards the sides and into a slider trough, then back towards the cockpit. Our boats are often designed to shed water rather than be water tight. Some boats are more so than others.

Best of luck with your new boat. The Columbia is a fun place to sail.

Jun 11, 2020
Lancer 28 1978 lancer.. Tennessee
Hello Fellow Lancer 25 Owners,

I recently acquired a 1979 Lancer 25 and have a repair to make and I am not sure how to proceed. The companionway cover slides under the cabin top to allow access to the cabin. However, on my boat there is a gap above the sliding cover and below the cabin top that would seem to allow rain to enter right into the boat. I think that a piece is missing, but I'm not sure what that piece would look like and/or be made of. Any photos or description that a fellow Lancer 25 (or similar model?) boat would be willing to share of that space would be greatly appreciated. Is there a wooden piece? Rubber Gasket of some sort?

The photo in this post highlights the location of the gap.

Thanks.
Hello, I have plenty of pics available if you still need them. Also will be back on the boat tomorrow 7/12/30 if you need closer shots.
Cheers Jim

Attachments

Jul 16, 2020
Lancer 25 Marina Del Rey, CA
Hey here are some photos from my companion way on my 1975 Lancer 25...too big to share here but i have them in this dropbox folder: Boat Hatch

I have been restoring this boat lately and I've had it for over 10years now. I recently replaced the Teak Handles on the deck and made a video that might help!

Also, yes there is a gap there, but from what I discovered, if water gets in that crack it'll run down to the sides and back into the cockpit. The sliding door overlaps the opening to the companionway allowing gravity to do its job there...