Laminate sails on a cruiser?

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
@lurker,
UV strips or a sock, your choice. For your size boat I'd go with strips.

View attachment 153750
Thanks for the wise words Jackdaw. I am leaning heavily towards full battens as much to simplify stacking the sail as to improve performance. There is a new tafeta I really like called Carbon Lite Skin that is supposed to be really decent in mildew prevention. It's not cheap but if it extends the life of the sail a few years it may well be worth it.

Curious what you meant by UV strips on the headsail. Do you mean a Sunbrella wrap that covers the sail when furler that is sewn to the outer edge of the sail like I have now or is it something else? I've seen sock headsail covers, but that's too much work for a cruiser. :)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Thanks for the wise words Jackdaw. I am leaning heavily towards full battens as much to simplify stacking the sail as to improve performance. There is a new tafeta I really like called Carbon Lite Skin that is supposed to be really decent in mildew prevention. It's not cheap but if it extends the life of the sail a few years it may well be worth it.

Curious what you meant by UV strips on the headsail. Do you mean a Sunbrella wrap that covers the sail when furler that is sewn to the outer edge of the sail like I have now or is it something else? I've seen sock headsail covers, but that's too much work for a cruiser. :)
Carbon Lite Skin is very interesting. My sails are made of the base DP carbon laminate, and I'd look hard now at that material. Would be interested in what the delta cost is.

Yes wrap. Alternative is a sock which is nice for racing, not so much for cruising!

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
What sail cloth did you choose for your main and jib? The square topped main is similar to what I've been thinking. Did it change the balance of your sails significantly? (More weather-helm, with more sail area than before?) I've thought that adding vertical battens in the jib could solve the issue of the square head main generating additional lift affecting balance, as I really don't want a bigger headsail than what I have right now.
The sail material I chose for both the main and jib is Dimension/Polyant PXB15/10 s LS. The weight of the PXB15 is 5.95 sm/oz and the PXB10 is 5.3 sm/oz. Sails made by Evolution Sails (Jason Fanjoy of Vancouver). Sorry I wasn't supposed to mention the sail maker but others already did and Jason is in your neck-of-the-woods. Because I increased the power of the main, increasing the jib size made sense. Vertical battens on the jib helped but I also had some room to increase the luff length (jib remained at 110%). Helm is balanced well as a result. I also fly a code0 head sail along with the jib (like a cutter rig) and have a little lee helm. I'm playing around with a retractable bow keel to further reduce the lee helm when flying the two head sails. Here is a link to the bow keel build video I made:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I am still waiting for someone to tell me how they like their new
North Sails Logo.jpg
3di-nordacbig.png

Sails.

There is a thread on Sailing Anarchy, but those guys are hardcore comparing them to high end laminate sails. Anyone here tried them compared to standard dacron sails?

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Have new North Sail Laminates would not trade them for dacron. We sail in the PNW Campbell River area with winds range 5-25kts last week in 15-18+ kts wind, reefed sails and sail shape stayed the same. We found that for performace over dacron we gained 1-1.5 kt just by sail shape holding and with less heel than before.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
For lofts, I'm looking at only places where I can deal with a person face to face. I really like the UK Sails loft in Sidney. The loft is about 15 minutes from my folks house, and they have a dock you can come right into to get work done. I've also met and been impressed with Evolution and North Sails in Vancouver. I'll only go with a loft/design office based in Canada that I can get to by boat in under a day. That means Vancouver Island or Vancouver.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Chris from North Sails Vancouver came out to Campbell River and spent over 3 hours taking measurements so they can design the sail for the boat based on sail performace modeling.