kitchen appliance power

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Oh, NO

Not another coffee discussion.

Please, will somebody finally invent something NEW so we don't do the percolator, drip, Melitta, French Press thing all over again?

PLEEEZE.

Well, there's cowboy coffee. Dump grounds directly into boiling water; decant the coffee into the cup leaving grounds behind--now that's really roughing it!:D Otherwise--switch to black tea such as Earl Gray.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I think we kick around this can every winter season. Make your coffee in a French press, heat your water on a gas stove, your toast on a burner but save the inverter for the big for the boat flat screen TV.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
A supervisor once said to me "If we locked you in a padded cell with 2 bowling balls you'd probably break one and lose the other". Amazingly I've never broken a French press, even kept a spare around for a long time because it seemed inevitable.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Oh, NO

Please, will somebody finally invent something NEW so we don't do the percolator, drip, Melitta, French Press thing all over again?

PLEEEZE.
you can blame that one on Juan Valdes for picking all those coffee beans and importing them to the US....:D

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
A supervisor once said to me "If we locked you in a padded cell with 2 bowling balls you'd probably break one and lose the other". Amazingly I've never broken a French press, even kept a spare around for a long time because it seemed inevitable.
I did- a lexan one someone gave me. The bottom cracked open when I poured the water in. You have any idea how big as mess that made on a boat galley top???

Now use staiinless steel or pyrex pots

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oh, NO

PLEEEZE.

I hear Rocna has a new anchor ........ ducks and runs..... :D

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...Please, will somebody finally invent something NEW so we don't do the percolator, drip, Melitta, French Press thing all over again?...
Okay, here's one for you Stu... they have solar tea brewers, how about coming up with a solar COFFEE brewer?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Double French Roast is selling for a bit over $6/lb in bulk and filters are cheap. Presses are messy to clean out, perk takes too long and is also messy, an electric is too much trouble (A/C) on a boat. How much for the "apparatus?"

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Coffee Intravenous Rig

Gee, with that rig, you don't even need to get out of the sack! Great idea!

Jun 27, 2014
Jeanneau Moorings International 50 Everett
They don't break if you have a spare. I broke my first one (didn't follow directions and used a metal spoon to stir, not plastic). Replace it with 2 and have had both for years.
For the paranoid, they are available in plastic and stainless,.

I use my inverter for the microwave, and tools when necessary. All other 110 appliances (mixer, computer, printer, paper shredder, blender, tv, dvd/vhs cable box and modev and fans)are only used with shore power.
As far as size and type of inverter, all home appliances are 1500 watts or less, and only sensitive electronic devices need pure sine (may include microwave?). Heating elements and motors will do ok with even a square wave ac source.
I do have a Mr Coffee that came with the boat, but have never used it.

I just use the microwave to re-heat food. Wouldn't cook a Costco Lasagna in it at least not without shore power.

Jun 27, 2014
Jeanneau Moorings International 50 Everett
Missed the most important appliance - Vacuum cleaner - I have used it on inverter when necessary. With a 90 lb long haired dog on board, I can't go long without vacuuming especially in spring and early summer.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Simplify and feel better:

Stop eating bread. You will feel better, have more energy, and you will drop body fat. No toaster required. Replace bread's nutritionally void calories with fruits and vegetables. Vegies/fruits taste better and you will feel better.

Stop drinking coffee. Drink green tea instead. You will feel better. It is simpler to boil water for tea than to do the coffee rigmarole and the attendant cleanup. Except for a way to make water hot, no appliance or gadget necessary. You will feel better and have more time for enjoyment everyday.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Warmer climates

Since you don't mention a generator, I take it you don't have a gen-set. In which case, you will soon find in warmer climates that any cooking inside the boat can make it miserably hot. Get yourself a rail mounted propane grill, and use it as much as possible. I have 700 watts of solar and wind generation, an inverrter, etc. etc. But the only appliance that gets used when I am not at the dock is the fridge. Everything else just uses too much power.

Sep 26, 2019
Catalina 36 mkII usa
A kitchen shapes the core of any gathering what with the food and beverages exuding from here for our visitors. When refreshing your kitchen structure, you have to ensure that you have everything right where you need it with the goal that you spare time and steps when cooking moving an appliance away doesn't support this. Kitchen Nexus