Kevlar skid plates?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
A lot simpler and way cheaper solution would be to stop hitting rocks!
Is your problem you do not know how to navigate from a chart or chartplotter, do not understand tides and currents or is it leeway? Or is there some other reason for these contacts?
Not very many of us would still be sailing if this was a common occurrence when sailing.

Jul 31, 2023
Starwind 19 Morgantown WV
To be clear, I have given up on the idea of a skid plate. Now I just want to make sure I don’t miss something in the repair.

And regarding the number of hits on the summer trip, well, we bought the boat so we could pursue family adventures in different places, mostly of the sail camping variety (the boat is just too small for more than a few nights of all 3 of us aboard). It’s also too small to carry or tow a reasonable dinghy (we tried using a packraft for this past summer trip, but it was too much work to inflate and then deflate for a quick midday trip ashore). So…we were left with sailing in close enough to wade ashore - we usually tensioned the boat between an anchor and a line tied on the shore. In a place like Georgian Bay, that put us in reasonably close proximity to rocks (though in all fairness, *all* of Georgian Bay is in close proximity to rocks), and those rocks are not always charted. And we hit a few.

One longer-term solution would be to just buy a bigger boat so we can comfortably sleep aboard and/or have a full-size dinghy. And we may do just that (although right now I am enamored of small, folding, beachable tris like the Astus 22). This was our first boat, though, and the low price was a big factor. So was weight, as we didn’t want to buy a new tow vehicle before confirming this would be an enjoyable family activity. So, I would say, the boat has done exactly what we hoped it would, and now I am just trying to fix the consequences of our learning.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I could be wrong but it looks like some of your bunks aren't touching the hull in your pic. A properly setup trailer will tow much better. Something as simple as upgrading a 1" strap to a 2", can make a noticeable difference. At least it did on my Starwind 19

Have you tried a pump of this style or an electric one?
1697753464041.jpeg

One of these should solve your dinghy and rock problem in one go. Just throw a few lines around the hull and inflate as needed
1697753559748.jpeg

• Ha
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The boat is currently in storage about 1 hr away. I was planning on heading up there in a few weeks to finish winterizing it and can take a few more photos then. In the meantime, here's a photo I quickly took back in the summer - if you look near the top of the photo, you can see the gel coat crack around the front of the keel/hull joint.

View attachment 220813
Is the stuff covering the keel fairing compound or fiberglass. It looks a little thin to be fiberglass. Is the keel bolted to the hull, look in the bilge for keel bolts.

If the keel is bolted to the hull, then the place to look for damage is just aft of the keel. The force of the grounding will drive the aft end of the keel up and into the hull which can cause delamination, which is a big project to repair.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
There are no keel bolts on the Starwind 19. There's a port to access the centerboard hanger bolts and if memory serves me correctly, there's very limited access to the bilge under the steps/sink. I believe the keel is covered in fiberglass but I could be wrong as I never sanded down that deep on mine.