Kent Ranger 26 Topping Lift Help

Aug 23, 2023
Kent Ranger 26 Douglas
My girlfriend and I found and purchased a well-kept Kent Ranger 26 this past January with the idea of learning how to maintain, sail, and cove-camp in Southeast Alaska. We recently have completed a long list of projects and upgrades to her, and have finally begun to use her as more than an extra space on the dock. We've been able to figure and use our head sail quite easily, however we haven't been able to use our main sail as I cannot seem to locate our topping lift for the boom, delaying our cove adventures even further. I've tried looking into technical drawings, as well as basic Google searches, and even requesting to join an online Facebook group dedicated to Kent Rangers (still pending). Our main and bow halyards run outside of the mast as it is techinally a trailer sailor with a retractable keel. Does anyone have any resources or knowledge that could be used to overcome this obstacle and get our mainsail functioning? I feel I've searched the vessel up and down, and exhausted any other resourse as the company no longer exists.

Attachments

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Hi Canception.
I am not familiar with the Kant Ranger, but......
I will go through a few of your points.

, however we haven't been able to use our main sail as I cannot seem to locate our topping lift for the boom
No topping lift should not stop you from raising your mainsail. On top of your dodger/sprayhood you have a stout stainless steel frame. This will act as a boom gallows (google that one) and will stop the boom from falling as you raise the mainsail.

I cannot seem to locate our topping lift for the boom,
From your photographs it seems that your boat is not rigged with a topping lift.
Not unusual on a small boat.

Later, if you really think it is necessary, you can go up the mast, drill a hole somewhere for a shackle and block. ( you might actually find a hole up there) and fit a topping lift. There are a zillion different opinions on how to run and cleat them off.

Your boat is rigged with a pennant/pigtail that secures the boom to the backstay. This is to stop the boom from dropping at the mooring. It can be used as a topping lift for sail raising in very calm conditions, but I would not use it in any real wind as it would place unnatural stress on the backstay.
The pennant is only for holding the boom up. To stop the swinging and damage to the backstay while moored you will need lines from the end of the boom to either side cockpit cleat.

So, on a windless day, at the dock, take the covers off and hoist your mainsail using your boom gallows.
Then reef, using the gallows.
Then unreef .
Then reef again.
Then lower the sail.
Then raise the sail again.
Then off ya go.

Hope this helps.

gary

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The topping lift is the short cable hanging from the backstay and attached to the boom.

The primary (only) purpose of the topping lift is to keep the boom off the deck when the mainsail is down. It is rarely if ever, used while the sails are hoisted as the sail keeps the boom from falling down.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
It is rarely if ever, used while the sails are hoisted as the sail keeps the boom from falling down.
You have gotten great advice already. So try hoisting your main and give her a sail.

From your original post, I got the sense that you also want a topping lift for when you are anchored in a cove. I am guessing this is so you can toss a tarp over the boom for a tent. Your existing pig tail should allow you to make a boom tent.

It is rarely if ever, used while the sails are hoisted as the sail keeps the boom from falling down.
@dlochner said that the topping lift "is rarely if ever used when the sails are hoisted". The one exception I have experienced was on my H26. I had run all my lines back to the cockpit including my topping lift and on a dead downwind run, in light air...I would put a little tension in my topping lift to fatten the sail a small amount. But this is not a normal thing to do.

• Helpful
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Having the topping lift rigged like the pig tail attached to the boom while sailing can be dangerous. It will limit how much you can let the boom down to spill wind in a gust. In certain weather, gusts can be violent. A topping lift rigged from the boom end to the top of the mast doesn't carry that risk (It may impede the ability of the vang to hold the boom down) but it is not generally considered a sail control. It should be completely slacked to raise the main all the way up and let the sail acquire its designed shape. And then tied off so that it isn't sloppy.

Jan 11, 2014
Having the topping lift rigged like the pig tail attached to the boom while sailing can be dangerous. It will limit how much you can let the boom down to spill wind in a gust. In certain weather, gusts can be violent. A topping lift rigged from the boom end to the top of the mast doesn't carry that risk (It may impede the ability of the vang to hold the boom down) but it is not generally considered a sail control. It should be completely slacked to raise the main all the way up and let the sail acquire its designed shape. And then tied off so that it isn't sloppy.
A pig tail should never be used while sailing for the very reasons you have pointed out. The pig tail's sole purpose is to hold up the boom when the sail is not up.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Bold is to get a good wind and sail through the passage. I would have the engine running as a back up.

Aug 23, 2023
Kent Ranger 26 Douglas
The topping lift is the short cable hanging from the backstay and attached to the boom.

The primary (only) purpose of the topping lift is to keep the boom off the deck when the mainsail is down. It is rarely if ever, used while the sails are hoisted as the sail keeps the boom from falling down.
I see, then my understanding of the topping lift was not correct. My original thought was not far off, as to support the boom from falling, but I mistook it as necessary while having the sail open as opposed to sail down. I'll put the main up off the topping lift (pigtail) while on the harbor on the next weather permitting day, though I'm still surprised the sail is what keeps the boom from falling.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I used a topping lift that came from the top of the mast for years . This past year ,I switched over to a Boomkicker that attaches from the bottom of the mast to a point perhaps 2 feet back from the front of the boom . This not only replaces the topping lift but helps the mainsail hold it's shape in light air. Something you may want to look into

Jan 19, 2010
... though I'm still surprised the sail is what keeps the boom from falling.
That is absolutly correct. You do not want the pig tail connected (or tension on a topping lift) while sailing. The sail holds the boom up. Or maybe a better way of thinking about it is.... The halyard holds the sail up and the boom holds the sail OUT.

Do you have an out-haul on your boom? You probably do but it would be good to make sure that is also easily adjustable.

Aug 23, 2023
Kent Ranger 26 Douglas
That is absolutly correct. You do not want the pig tail connected (or tension on a topping lift) while sailing. The sail holds the boom up. Or maybe a better way of thinking about it is.... The halyard holds the sail up and the boom holds the sail OUT.

Do you have an out-haul on your boom? You probably do but it would be good to make sure that is also easily adjustable.
@rgranger I believe I do. I believe this changes the camber of the boom? It seems quite necessary having a dodger in my cockpit.

Jan 11, 2014
@rgranger I believe I do. I believe this changes the camber of the boom? It seems quite necessary having a dodger in my cockpit.
No, it changes the tension on the foot of the sail which affects sail shape. More tension, flatter sail. Less tension fuller sail.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I removed my topping lift and was setting up a Seldon rigid vang…but in the meantime, I rigged a pig tail off my back stay as you have on your boat…it worked to keep the boom out of my lap when the sail was down.

BUT, be careful to release the pigtail once the sail is up, and BEFORE you start to fall off the wind.

then sail like normal…

And when you are done sailing, point up into the wind, CONNECT the pig tail, then drop the sail.

Reefing could present some interesting challenges.

I finally got my Seldon rigid vang repaired and installed. Now I do t have to worry about it.

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
BTW, it is perfectly acceptable to allow the boom to rest on the dodger between the time the pigtail is removed and the sail is hoisted. Likewise when dropping the mainsail, allowing the boom to gently come to rest on the dodger is OK, letting it free fall onto the dodger will result in a new dodger frame. ($$$$).

As others have noted, having a rigid vang or boom kicker will make life much easier as they will support the boom and then the main halyard is used for a topping lift.

Jan 19, 2010
No, it changes the tension on the foot of the sail which affects sail shape. More tension, flatter sail. Less tension fuller sail.
It sounds like you are talking about the outhaul. I’ve always called the “pig tail” a short line with a clip that is attached to the back stay. And if that is what we are calling a pig tail… than you should Never have it clipped when sailing

• Helpful
Jan 19, 2010

Jan 11, 2014
It sounds like you are talking about the outhaul. I’ve always called the “pig tail” a short line with a clip that is attached to the back stay. And if that is what we are calling a pig tail… than you should Never have it clipped when sailing
Yes I was, because the OP was asking about the outhaul.