pig tails ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Nichols

I am interested in finding out about a device that will secure the boom to the aft stay,which will help the boom stay stationary when the boat is tied up.I have been told it is called a pig tail.Also could one describe how to manufacture one? thanks for your support.

B

Ben Allen

Pig Tails or Not

Tim, A Pig Tail is attached to the back stay about a foot above where the boom would normally ride, with a short wire lead which attaches to the boom. It is a good system for securing the boom but has one major drawback, if in the excitement of getting ready to sail, you happen to forget to disconnect the pig tail, you're in for quiet a ride when you raise your mainsail and turn your boat with the wind on the beam. A better and safer method would be to put in a topping lift. This is a line attached to the top/aft side of the mast that runs down to the aft end of the boom. It can remain connected while sailing. One modification to this would be to put a block at the top of the mast and at the base of the mast, have your line run from the aft end of the boom, up to the block at the top of the mast, down to the block at the base of the mast, and then back to the cockpit. You now have an adjustable topping lift. Hope this is not to confusing. Ben Allen Montgomery, AL "Latte Dah" O'Day 26

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

I prefer topping lifts to pigtails

Tim - My Catalina had a pig tail on the old backstay. When I replaced the rigging last season, I installed a topping lift. If you're unfamiliar, this is a line from the aft end of the boom top of the mast. Mine then comes down the mast so I can adjust the height at which the boom sits. I talked with a couple of riggers and they were all concerned with the pig tail for a couple of reasons. First, to attach it to the backstay you typically use a crimp on connector. This becomes a great place for water to sit and corrode the backstay. In addition, the fitting causes a hard spot in the stay, which can become a failure point. Finally, the load of the boom can introduce a kink into the baystay, also weakening it. When I'm done sailing, I just tighten the topping lift, tighten the main sheet, and the boom rides nicely. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

R

Russ Marcks

And...

I agree completely with the other responses. Another advantage of not using the pigtail is that you can swing the boom to port or starboard (as appropriate), thighten down the topping lift and the main traveler, and the boom not only stays in place, but is out of the way when entering/leaving the cabin. Russ Marcks

Status
Not open for further replies.