Keeping dry on a liveaboard

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
Hello!

I'm sure this is a classic question for any boat owner. Does anyone have any good tips or forum posts for keeping boats & books dry? I have already taken the following measures:

- Install a good convection heater
- Install solar vent in hatch (coming soon)
- Place visqueen between hull and cushions/books, etc.

Any other tips would be highly appreciated! Seems like there is a lot of wisdom out there.

Thank you!

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
de-humidify...heat or cool...you need to remove the moisture from the air...Chesapeake - I run my air handlers on dehumidify mode a Lot. Some of the better built boats are correctly insulated which helps more than anything, others have had mixed luck DIY reflective/solar/insulating on their boats.

Keep the air moving and leave space between things is the real solution - but practically that can be tough. Ziplocks and rubbermaid bins (not the cheap knockoffs) or other devices to seal sensitive items. A lot of folks use absorbent chemicals in paint pails and then dry them out regularly.

For books, we left them shoreside with trusted family. I did bite the bullet and get a kindle fire, so far so good - and it is a throwaway - when the moisture kills it.

While your list is OK, don't expect things to get markedly better with them, especially if you are changing climates regularly - what works in FL, may or may not work on the Chesapeake.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Insulation

Ventilation

Heating that doesn't add moisture to the air

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
While your list is OK, don't expect things to get markedly better with them.
Just for future reference for readers of this thread, the convection heater made a massive difference by eliminating visible condensation in forepeak, settees. While I can't speak for damage to books from ambient moisture, the visqueen will theoretically solve the problem of condensation dripping along the hull and into the backs of books.

FWIW, I'm in the San Francisco Bay area.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hello!

I'm sure this is a classic question for any boat owner. Does anyone have any good tips or forum posts for keeping boats & books dry? I have already taken the following measures:

- Install a good convection heater
- Install solar vent in hatch (coming soon)
- Place visqueen between hull and cushions/books, etc.

Any other tips would be highly appreciated! Seems like there is a lot of wisdom out there.

Thank you!
Posts in the latter half of this thread, Cruising in Colder Waters, might have information useful to you.
KG

http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/cruising-in-colder-waters.174935/

Sep 28, 2008
Canadian Sailcraft CS27 Victoria B.C.
Just for future reference for readers of this thread, the convection heater made a massive difference by eliminating visible condensation in forepeak, settees. While I can't speak for damage to books from ambient moisture, the visqueen will theoretically solve the problem of condensation dripping along the hull and into the backs of books.

FWIW, I'm in the San Francisco Bay area.
As far as I can find Visqueen is a vapor barrier. You need insulation, ideally 1/2" thick minimum. Condensation will form on any cold surface. The insulation will keep the inside surface warmer reducing or eliminating condensation. You already have a vapor barrier - the fiberglass hull. Good insulation is Ethafoam or Armaflex, both closed cell.

Nov 28, 2015
Jeanneau Attalia Toronto
I'm thinking of using a playroom mat under my new cushions to keep them dry.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I'm thinking of using a playroom mat under my new cushions to keep them dry.
I have used those mats under my cushions for the past 3 years, and have no condensation. I also keep my boat in the water year round. Jersey has quite the climate change.

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
Oday 25 Bradenton Beach Florida
My bildge always has a bit of water in it, it evaporates into my cabin, I put a outdoor rug with rubber backing over it and didn't help. I now have a Haier air conditioning - dehumidifier, helps a lot but only at dock with power. Live a board St Pete Beach Florida.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I have done the things that you have listed and my boat is dry. Electric heater plus a solar powered vent. Of course, it also depends on how much your boat leaks. My boat has a couple of small port leaks that I catch with a bucket but very minimal. If your boat leaks much more than that you will need to fix those leaks.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I have done the things that you have listed and my boat is dry. Electric heater plus a solar powered vent. Of course, it also depends on how much your boat leaks. My boat has a couple of small port leaks that I catch with a bucket but very minimal. If your boat leaks much more than that you will need to fix those leaks.
Try helping the seals of the port lights with a thin layer of silicon grease when the boat is closed up; helps to keep those drips out of the equation.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I keep 3 small desiccant tubs. The type you get at Home Depot. One in the V berth, one in the salon, one in the aft quarter berth.
Also leave a West Marine standard warmer on the floor. They call it a dehumidifier but it only circulates and slightly warms the air. More like an anti-condensation unit. Cabin is sealed, except for a tiny bit of air through a vent in the companionway hatch, and a half inch latch access hole in the galley which allows air in from the engine room cowls.
The combo works well, in Annapolis and now South Orange County, CA.
Just empty the tubs every weekend and fill with desiccant about every 2 months.
Zero water damage and only occasional mold in remote corners which I just wipe up if spotted.

Sep 11, 2015
Beneteau 43 Sense San Francisco Bay
We are on a Beneteau Sense 43 in Marina Bay, SF Bay Area. I have a plug-in Ivation dehumidifier I bought on Amazon. It pulls about a cup or more of water per day. We also have forced air heat. Despite that, we have standing condensation under our mattress from condensation due to one of the water tanks being under our bunk. It does not cause a problem for the mattress because of Dri-dek tiles between the mattress and boards. There is no damp or mildew odor on the boat but I would like to not have the standing water under the mattress. I am going to try insulation between the tank-top and the boards.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
We are on a Beneteau Sense 43 in Marina Bay, SF Bay Area. I have a plug-in Ivation dehumidifier I bought on Amazon. It pulls about a cup or more of water per day. We also have forced air heat. Despite that, we have standing condensation under our mattress from condensation due to one of the water tanks being under our bunk. It does not cause a problem for the mattress because of Dri-dek tiles between the mattress and boards. There is no damp or mildew odor on the boat but I would like to not have the standing water under the mattress. I am going to try insulation between the tank-top and the boards.
Try elevating the mattress with small blocks or something that functions like them when off the boat (or at least when not on the mattress) to allow air underneath. I've been doing this for years w/ours. Also open up the storage places under the mattress.

Sep 11, 2015
Beneteau 43 Sense San Francisco Bay
Boathook. I used the boathook to prop the mattresses up. Finally it's useful.

Last edited:

Bob846

Jun 7, 2004
Beneteau 423 Long Beach/Los Angeles
Cooking will typically add moisture to your boat. I assume you are using propane and this will introduce moisture (but warmth too). And if you are boiling water or cooking high water content foods (veggies, etc.), this will only add to the issue. Best to crack a hatch or port close to the stove while cooking in this case. Hang any wet towels outside to dry. Keep bildge dry. Convection heat is your best bet on moisture. I live aboard in So. Cal.

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
Convection heat (1500W, 6' baseboard from Home Depot mid cabin) and solar vent has kept my boat completely dry so far this winter in SF Bay

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
We use Skipper's desiccant approach on Lake Erie. And we remove all fabric from the boat during the 6 months on the hard over winter.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Patrick
Are you in Seward or Richardson Bay? Expect the environment may have an impact on the type of steps you need to try.
I'm in the water for my second winter. Visit the boat for several days at a time. Last year it was electric heaters, this year it is a Diesel forced air heater. I noticed a much dryer condition on board, during my last visit temps in the 30's at night, rain storms blowing through, using the diesel heater than when I relied on the electric radiant oil heater and the ceramic radiant space heater from the prior year. The temps were more balanced. Placing the diesel heater in the aft void behind the cockpit removed much of the noise of the heater from the cabin. After my first use in chilled weather, I plan to insulate the duct work that runs through the lazarette. It did make the lazerette space toasty while working on the engine, but the lost heat would be better served in the cabin. The key I learned is to get outside air into the boat. Even in the rain the outside air is drier than the air inside the boat. I plumbed a duct to bring outside air into the heater where it is mixed with the cabin return, heated then blown into the boat.
Dealing with moisture in the V-berth appears to be insulation of walls and decking to minimize condensation. I do not yet have this solved, but I have reduced the impact a lot. I installed an air gap between the V-Berth cushion and the deck, using a mattress pad called Hypervent. I rolled it out and cut it to the size of the V-Berth pad. Damp cushions are gone.

HyperVent Pad.jpg
Next I plan to cut a piece of foam insulation and fit it to the hatch opening. Considering doing the same for the Anchor Locker. Still not sure how to best address this problem area. I want to keep the moisture on the outside of the wood in the locker not dripping down the wood inside the v-berth.

Just the progress I have made to make my boat a comfortable place to be on those dark and stormy nights.