Newport MKIi 30' Channel Is. CA
My keel bolts on my 1975 C-27 are rusted but intact
what can i put on them to protect from further corrosion. Lanocote? Thanks

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
My keel bolts on my 1975 C-27 are rusted but intact
what can i put on them to protect from further corrosion. Lanocote? Thanks
Let's start with a picture or two. 'intact' is a hopeful word. 'rusted' is just a surface condition? Sometimes stainless steel looks rusted, but it's just the surface and a product of the milling of the steel -- or maybe it's not that.

PICTURES!!!

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
in the meantime, for your reading:

There are some links in this article. Note the "each case is different" observation.

Another article: http://www.keelboltrepair.com/ (Keep reading beyond the initial example, the article gets less daunting for you a few paragraphs further down the page.)

You can search the web and find other articles on "Keel Bolt Repair"

Apr 18, 2009
in the meantime, for your reading:

There are some links in this article. Note the "each case is different" observation.

Another article: http://www.keelboltrepair.com/ (Keep reading beyond the initial example, the article gets less daunting for you a few paragraphs further down the page.)

You can search the web and find other articles on "Keel Bolt Repair"
thanks

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I'll get a couple of pics .im looling for the link
1571198003609.png

BuzzLovelace: Those bolts look pretty clean. Has the color been adjusted?

P.S. - Where does your nom de web come from, BuzzLovelace? [I remember that joke that has the punch line: "Why do you ask, two dogs a...?"]

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
These are not stainless in 1975
These are stainless as shown in your later post with photos.

The best maintenance is to keep them dry. It's not the discoloration on top you should be worried about, but the condition of the bolts where they pass through the glass stub. There, they will see crevice corrosion.

Apr 18, 2009
What is mon de web ? when you say keep them dry does that mean dont apply lanocoat or an othet rust inhibator?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
when you say keep them dry does that mean dont apply lanocoat or an othet rust inhibator?
What are the chances of getting them 100% dry where they enter the glass stub before greasing them ? Just keep in mind that if SS is wet, it needs oxygen to maintain its protective coat of chromium oxide. Otherwise :yikes:.