Keel structural issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2013
Pearson 36-2 Plymouth
Hi, long time reader, first time poster. I have the deep fin keel version of the P36-2; and the structural grid has pulled away in places from the interior of the hull and sump area; allowing water in and the keel to swing side to side pretty freely. Keel was pulled and bolts are OK; so am looking for direction as how to approach. Boat yard wanted over $30K to fix; I figured that was a good down payment on another boat.
I have begun to remove the interior of the salon.
Should I first get a naval engineer to evaluate and draw up a solution?
Should I have a qualified surveyor review and note what he/she would look for in a repair?
Can you recommend either in the South Shore area of Massachusetts?
Should I scrap the boat and start over...?
Suggestions have run from cutting the grid out, strengthening the hull where it attaches, reinstalling and tabbing and supporting with additional haunches to add rigidity.
Pictures could be available upon request.
PAYTMAN

Nov 30, 2012
Pearson 28-2 Lake Champlain, NY
Hi Paytman, looks like not many sailor have an opinion on how you should approach the problem. Neither am I able to say exactly what to do because I'm a sailor myself since only three years. But I'm sure you're not the first sailor to hit the ground ( because I have a similar issue on my boat ) and I don't think you should scrap the boat. I also think that $30K is very expensive... If you post some picture I will for sure give you my comments about them and maybe some more experimented than me will do so.

NancyD

Mar 2, 2007
Pearson 36-2 LI Sound
More Info?

What exactly is loose or broken? If the keel bolts aren't loose and the boat still floats, it is hard to imagine that the keel can swing freely from side to side. How much water comes in? Can you post pictures?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. As you know that's a very serious issue, and one that in many cases would mean that the boat is beyond economic repair. Rebonding the grid to the hull might be a job for a pro. And its the first thing in, so EVERYTHING in the middle boat might have to come out to repair it. I'm pretty sure I would not tackle it. As you note without the grid bonded to the hull, the grid cannot help transfer the huge loads from the keel to entire hull. When that happens, the hull flexes in a very small area. Catastrophic failure would likely result.

Here's a thread that might provide you some more insight.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/grid-separation-expoxy-vs-resin-35093.html

Others, a picture of a typical grid, that is bonded into the hull.

Jan 18, 2011
Hunter 26 Beaufort SC
Pulling out all of the stringers in a large sailboat would be very expensive I would imagine. Was this the result of an accident? Maybe if it's insured you should talk to your agent. If it's a matter of the stringer core has rotted then you're probably looking at your options of fixing, or scrapping and starting over with a newer boat.

Jun 3, 2011
1985 Pearson 303 Pearson 303 RockPort,ME
PAYTMAN.. Your lucky to be where you are in MAss. You have a very.. very good design / Eng. in your neighborhood. Pat Goodrow. here is his facebook and info. I have used him and he saved me 10's of thousands.

High Tech Marine Surveys Pres. Patrick Goodrow, SAMS SA
Patrick Goodrow has been a professional sailor for the past thirty years. He has had the opportunity to sail at the highest level of competition both nationally and internationally.

He is a "hands on" project manager to many successful racing programs. His experience has ranged from dinghies, one design, maxi boats and the America's Cup. Pat has been an innovator in "go fast" equipment, many of which are widely accepted today. He has always been involved in every aspect of "the program". The mast, sails, and hull construction were all under his careful eye. His experiences crewing for some of the best skippers in the world has elevated his attention to detail to the highest level.

He is happy to discuss your yacht's needs anytime. Whether it is a survey, upgrades consultation, or project management, please feel free to call, fax, or e-mail him.

http://www.hightechmarinesurveys.com/

www.facebook.com/pages/High-Tech-Marine-Surveys/162120867188235

85 Humphrey Street
Marblehead, Massachusetts 01945
Phone (781) 290-6782
Email mailtogoodrow@gmail.com
Website too http://www.hightechmarinesurveys.com

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
You might want to contact Rudy @ D&R Marine www.drmarine.com and see if he knows the current location/contact info of some of the old Pearson design team who might be still be available for advice, etc. D&R bought up most of the 'residuals' of the Pearson closure and may have that info for direct contact still available with this structural issue.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Paytman I am very interested in seeing photos and hearing what you choose to do.

If you do choose to scrap the boat PLEASe let us know. There are a few parts I would be very interested in.

Good luck
Greg

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
You could contact Tim Moll, general manager at Brewer Plymouth Marine. They are a full service yard, and have done many restorations from the keel up, along with repairs and maintenance of all kinds.

May 14, 2009
Pearson 38 Norwalk, CT
Hi, long time reader, first time poster. I have the deep fin keel version of the P36-2; and the structural grid has pulled away in places from the interior of the hull and sump area; allowing water in and the keel to swing side to side pretty freely. Keel was pulled and bolts are OK; so am looking for direction as how to approach. Boat yard wanted over $30K to fix; I figured that was a good down payment on another boat.
I have begun to remove the interior of the salon.
Should I first get a naval engineer to evaluate and draw up a solution?
Should I have a qualified surveyor review and note what he/she would look for in a repair?
Can you recommend either in the South Shore area of Massachusetts?
Should I scrap the boat and start over...?
Suggestions have run from cutting the grid out, strengthening the hull where it attaches, reinstalling and tabbing and supporting with additional haunches to add rigidity.
Pictures could be available upon request.
PAYTMAN
I currently have my Pearson 38' at Universal Marine in Bristol, RI. The owner, Jorge worked for Pearson and maybe worth contacting.

I'd also like to know what you decide to do with your boat.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.