Keel Bolt Removal on a 1984 Beneteau First 38

Oct 9, 2013
Beneteau First 38 Belmont Harbor
Hi all,

We have a 1984 Beneteau First 38 and have just spent the last 4 days removing 20 Keel Bolts.

DÉESSE has a keel-stepped mast and it is nearly impossible to stop water from making its way down the inside of the mast. Yes, there is “internal dam” within the mast that is located at deck level to divert water that comes down the ID of the mast through a drain hole that exits to the deck. However, after 32 years of service, the “dam” does not appear to be watertight.

We do not have any noticeable leakage through the keel bolt holes and thus are not planning on dropping the keel to reseal the hull to keel joint. Once the bolts are removed and inspected the lack of rust or presence of rust on the lower sections of the bolts will be a good indicator as to whether the hull/keel joint is or is not still tight.

Prior owner was not too vigilant in ensuring that there was no water coming in through/around the mast, through the mast boot, through the shaft log, and through the speed/depth transducers. Thus, the bilge was continuously wet and the heads of the keel bolts rusted over time.

In various forums and Facebook groups we have noted others with similar questions. Thus, here is the procedure we followed:

We contacted Beneteau USA and they were able to provide vintage 1985 “Keel Attachment” drawing for First 38. The First 38’s of that era had 2 keel options

• Deep Keel, Iron, 2.1 meter (6.9 ft) draft, 2840 kg (6261 lbs), 14 keel bolts

• Shoal Keel, Iron, 1.5 meter (4.9 ft) draft, 3300 kg (7275 lbs), 21 keel bolts
Good news: We were able to confirm which keel we have – it is the shoal keel. Previously, we were not sure which we had.

Bad news: There are 21 bolts to remove! (Although we have only found 20.)

Beneteau recommends “DACROMATISED” (i.e., galvanized) carbon steel bolts since the keel is iron. We have ordered a complete set from Beneteau with appropriate washers.

The keel bolts are the same size for both the deep and shoal keels. Only the number of bolts needed varies.

Bolt Spec: 20 mm (0.78 inch) OD x 80 mm (3.14 inch) length with ~70 mm (2.76 inch) of exposed threads which will need a 1 3/16” (30.16 mm) socket. (We will try 30 mm socket.)

We are on the hard here in Chicago and DÉESSE is on a cradle stored inside. It took us 4 days to remove (1 by 1) the keel bolts. First task was to find the 21 keel bolts shown in the Beneteau drawing. We only found 20 and suspect that the furthest aft keel bolt shown on the drawing was not installed on our keel.

Location of bolts:

Starting from BOW:

• 1 in the section adjacent to the forward head (required removing a portion of the internal liner to access the bolt)

• 4 in the section just forward of the mast

• 4 in the section just aft of the mast (2 of these are partially under the corner of the mast step base)

• 2 in the section where bilge pump is located

• 4 in the section in next section aft

• 1 in the section in furthest aft section

• 1 just 34 cm (13.38 inch) aft of the one listed above <- NOT FOUND
Ending at STERN

Work Procedure:

1. Using digital calipers, we measured the size of what remains of the rusted bolt heads. Although they all may have been 30 mm bolt heads when new, after 32 years of being exposed to bilge water, they now ranged from 22 to 30 mm. Thus, I bought 22, 24, 27, 28, and 30 mm sockets.

2. Remove still flexible (although not watertight) layer of sealant that covered some of the bolt heads.

3. Remove loose rust/scale with wire brush attached to drill.

4. Some bolts had round washers, some square washers, and some both (round on top of square).

5. Using a DREMEL with a heavy-duty cut-off disc, the bolt head was separated from the washer by cutting horizontally at the junction between the base of the bolt head and the top of the washer. It took about 1 disc per bolt to cut around each of the bolt heads. Rationale for this cut is to separate the bolt from the washer. If the bolt is attached (rusted) to the washer the amount of force required to remove the bolt is (a) force to extract the bolt from the threads in the socket in the keel, PLUS (b) the force required to turn the washer which is attached to the fiberglass hull with adhesive. By separating the bolt from the washer, the force required to remove the bolt is significantly reduced since ONLY the bolt is rotating.

6. Next step was to “square up” the 6 sides of the bolt head so that I could have any chance of forcing one of the sockets onto the bolt head.

7. I then used a hammer to force fit the socket onto the rusted bolt head. I then used a DEWALT battery powered impact wrench to break free the bolt. I was only able to get the bolt to loosen by a ~ ½ turn with the impact wrench, as the impact wrench was only able to break loose the bolt. The impact wrench was not able to fully unscrew the bolt since there was considerable amount of sealant (again still flexible) surrounding the bolt in hole drilled in the hull for the bolt. I had to manually unscrew the bolt with a socket wrench until the sealant – which was still attached - broker loose. At that time, I was able to use the impact wrench to unscrew the remainder of the bolt – easily and quickly.

8. Upon removal each of the 20 mm OD x 80 mm L (with ~70 mm of exposed threads) bolts were inspected and condition noted as follows:
    1. Severely rusted bolt head (originally ~10 mm height)

2. 5 mm thick washer

3. 13 mm (hull thickness of ~ ½ inch) upper section <- upper portion rusted from water coming in from water in bilge

4. 52 mm of bolt in receiving socket in keel <- essentially as new without rust thus indicating no leak at hull/keel seam

5. Check: 5 + 13 + 52 = 70 mm
  9. We removed the bolts, one at a time, and then reinserted the original bolts – for now.

10. Our intent at this time was to simply confirm that each keel bolt could be removed. If during this process we had snapped off a keel bolt or simply encountered one that would not budge we would have had to (a) remove remainder of keel bolts, (b) grind off the head of the keel bolt which would not budge, (c) lift the hull and/or drop the keel to expose the stubborn keel bolts, and (d) use a pipe wrench to forcibly unscrew the stubborn bolt.

11. New keel bolts & washers are on order from BENETEAU USA.

12. We will be installing the new keel bolts in a week or so. We have yet to decide what type of sealant to use in the gap between the bolt and the slightly oversized hole drilled in the hull. It is definitely not 3M 5200 or 4200. It is still flexible after 32 years. Anyone have any idea as to what it may be?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to do that. Any idea what the spec torque is for the new bolts, and whether the old bolts were still close to the spec torque?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Good Lord! Scary! But, the slow and steady will win the race.

Oct 9, 2013
Pic of one extracted keel bolt:

Closeup of Extracted Keel Bolt with Dollup of Sealant at Base.JPG

Attached please find link:

This is a link to my shared OneDrive account where I have saved the following;

- Beneteau "Keel Attachment" drawing for FIRST 38 from 1985
- Beneteau instructions for keel bolt replacement with bolt specs & torque values
- photos of our work.

I will add "after" photos upon arrival and installation of new bolts from Beneteau. Unfortunately, we did not check torque value of old bolts prior to removal. We have owned the boat since March 2013, so just 4 season here on Lake Michigan. First owner ordered the boar and took delivery in France. He raced her here in Chicago. We have 13 Chicago-Mackinac race medallions on the forward bulkhead. 2nd owner was commodore of one the local yacht clubs and he only did not race. I suspect that these were the original keel bolts.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2016
Beneteau First 38 Plattsburgh
Nice work Doug, and nice explanations! I am glad that you were able to remove all bolts and that you did not have to redo the whole keel joint like we did. I might be stating the obvious here, but exchange one bolt at a time and do not remove them altogether to prevent the keel to detach from the hull!
For the scealant, I think what you found is indeed some 5200 from the keel joint that came out filling every void when the keel was squeezed to the hull. I would say that whatever scelant you use there, #1 job will be to prevent water to come down the bolt threads and bring any dirt/rust there. In my personnal opinion, I don't think you should put anything in the thread that will make you loose thrust and will reduce the torque applied to the bolts...

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Doug
can you post a pic of how your mast is connected to the tie rod on the deck
thks
gary

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Great write-up Doug, and an interesting observation. I am virtually certain that my Beneteau keel bolts are stainless, and while I know my keel is iron, I assumed that the bolts were threaded with a anti-seize, anti-corrosion paste. I am also struck by how short your keel bolts are. However, your bolts appear to be in great shape despite the bilge corrosion you have.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Great write-up Doug, and an interesting observation. I am virtually certain that my Beneteau keel bolts are stainless, and while I know my keel is iron, I assumed that the bolts were threaded with a anti-seize, anti-corrosion paste. I am also struck by how short your keel bolts are. However, your bolts appear to be in great shape despite the bilge corrosion you have.
Bolts only need to be one and a half times longer than the diameter to have maximum holding strength.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2013
Hi Olivier;

Yes, you can be sure we only removed 1 bolt at a time. At this point, our goal was simply to see if we could break free, remove, and then reinsert each of the keel bolts. Next step, once the new bolts are received from Beneteau, will be to again remove each bolt (one at a time), clean up the old caulk, recaulk with fresh caulk, insert new bolt, and then to re-torque to specs once all of the bolts are in place.

I am still waiting for feedback from Beneteau as to what might have been used for caulking/sealing the gap between the underside of the bolt head and the fiberglass hull. We are not sure if the caulk that we saw on the bolts was (a) from the keel to hull joint which oozed into the bolt hole when the keel & hull were mated or (b) if it was caulk that was used at the top of the bolt to seal the fiberglass hull around the exposed threads of the upper section of the bolt. I am guessing it was the latter.

Whatever was used, it is still flexible after 32 years and can be pulled/stretched by hand. Thus, I am guessing that it is not 3M 4200 or 5200. Both of those would have set up after 32 years.

Hi Gunni;

Per the Beneteau article (2010 version courtesy of Jackdaw & 2016 version courtesy of Ward Richardson) on rusty keel bolts, stainless steel bolts can be used on cast iron keels. However, from Beneteau article:

Cast Iron keel use galvanized bolts. There are threaded sockets cast into the keel.

Lead keels use stainless steel nuts. There are threaded rods cast into the keel

You can use stainless steel bolts in a cast iron keel, but you should remove and inspect the threads for galvanic corrosion yearly.

Hi CYCK (Gary);

I have created a new folder with pics of the tie rods. We unstep the mast every winter since we store inside. We are careful to keep the same tension on the tie rods from year to year. We count the number of threads exposed at the tie rods and are careful to adjust the turnbuckles so that the tie rods are set to the same tension each spring when we step the mast.

Link to Tid Rod Pics:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhBeqWheWY5jinmkKE5SiN4pXNw1

The main purpose of the tie rods is to keep the deck from moving upwards, either due to (a) upwards force on mast collar as halyards, topping boom lift, or any line connected to turning blocks on the collar, etc. are tightened, or (b) as hull flexes due to upwards forces on shrouds. The tie rods keep the mast collar (and the deck since they are connected) in a neutral position so that neither moves up or down.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Doug
Thanks for the pics shipper lost them when the boat was moved to my yard
Will phone bene to order

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Thanks again Doug
Yeah My mast is isomat as well also the boom
Have ordered from rig-rite as they still have good listings will give them a cal
Merry Christmas
Can you send a PM with your e-mail would be nice to share stuff on our similar boats

brccd

Oct 19, 2007
Beneteau 345 huntington
Hi Doug,
I have a 1985 beneteau 345 first and am planning to try to update the keel bolts...I am planning to follow the same path you took sometime this May...doing a short haul to paint the bottom, and the keel bolts.

At first sight, the bolts looked really bad, but no water leakage. Washers on 2 of the bolts pretty bad though. I have started to clean the bolts, wire brush, dremel, and they actually don't look that bad. I have the new bolts from Beneteau., which seem to be exactly like what you have. 3 of my bolts are covered over in fiber glass, and would have to cut in to really check those.

I am anxious to hear more details of any issues with the bolts when you. I have an electric Milwaukee impact wrench, also an air wrench if needed...electric is about 300 ft/lb torque...air will go to 850...puls 2 ft breaker bar.

I am worried the keel (iron) might be rusty, bolts seized,...5 yrs ago I clean, faired keel, new eoxy coating, sealed hull joint, and last haul, 2 yrs go...it still all looked perfect.

My plan at the moment is to remove the first one, and see how that goes...if not too bad continue.
So...thoughts, comments, advice, appreciated!
Bert

Hi all,

We have a 1984 Beneteau First 38 and have just spent the last 4 days removing 20 Keel Bolts.

DÉESSE has a keel-stepped mast and it is nearly impossible to stop water from making its way down the inside of the mast. Yes, there is “internal dam” within the mast that is located at deck level to divert water that comes down the ID of the mast through a drain hole that exits to the deck. However, after 32 years of service, the “dam” does not appear to be watertight.

We do not have any noticeable leakage through the keel bolt holes and thus are not planning on dropping the keel to reseal the hull to keel joint. Once the bolts are removed and inspected the lack of rust or presence of rust on the lower sections of the bolts will be a good indicator as to whether the hull/keel joint is or is not still tight.

Prior owner was not too vigilant in ensuring that there was no water coming in through/around the mast, through the mast boot, through the shaft log, and through the speed/depth transducers. Thus, the bilge was continuously wet and the heads of the keel bolts rusted over time.

In various forums and Facebook groups we have noted others with similar questions. Thus, here is the procedure we followed:

We contacted Beneteau USA and they were able to provide vintage 1985 “Keel Attachment” drawing for First 38. The First 38’s of that era had 2 keel options

• Deep Keel, Iron, 2.1 meter (6.9 ft) draft, 2840 kg (6261 lbs), 14 keel bolts

• Shoal Keel, Iron, 1.5 meter (4.9 ft) draft, 3300 kg (7275 lbs), 21 keel bolts
Good news: We were able to confirm which keel we have – it is the shoal keel. Previously, we were not sure which we had.

Bad news: There are 21 bolts to remove! (Although we have only found 20.)

Beneteau recommends “DACROMATISED” (i.e., galvanized) carbon steel bolts since the keel is iron. We have ordered a complete set from Beneteau with appropriate washers.

The keel bolts are the same size for both the deep and shoal keels. Only the number of bolts needed varies.

Bolt Spec: 20 mm (0.78 inch) OD x 80 mm (3.14 inch) length with ~70 mm (2.76 inch) of exposed threads which will need a 1 3/16” (30.16 mm) socket. (We will try 30 mm socket.)

We are on the hard here in Chicago and DÉESSE is on a cradle stored inside. It took us 4 days to remove (1 by 1) the keel bolts. First task was to find the 21 keel bolts shown in the Beneteau drawing. We only found 20 and suspect that the furthest aft keel bolt shown on the drawing was not installed on our keel.

Location of bolts:

Starting from BOW:

• 1 in the section adjacent to the forward head (required removing a portion of the internal liner to access the bolt)

• 4 in the section just forward of the mast

• 4 in the section just aft of the mast (2 of these are partially under the corner of the mast step base)

• 2 in the section where bilge pump is located

• 1 in the section in furthest aft section

• 1 just 34 cm (13.38 inch) aft of the one listed above <- NOT FOUND
Ending at STERN

Work Procedure:

1. Using digital calipers, we measured the size of what remains of the rusted bolt heads. Although they all may have been 30 mm bolt heads when new, after 32 years of being exposed to bilge water, they now ranged from 22 to 30 mm. Thus, I bought 22, 24, 27, 28, and 30 mm sockets.

2. Remove still flexible (although not watertight) layer of sealant that covered some of the bolt heads.

3. Remove loose rust/scale with wire brush attached to drill.

4. Some bolts had round washers, some square washers, and some both (round on top of square).

5. Using a DREMEL with a heavy-duty cut-off disc, the bolt head was separated from the washer by cutting horizontally at the junction between the base of the bolt head and the top of the washer. It took about 1 disc per bolt to cut around each of the bolt heads. Rationale for this cut is to separate the bolt from the washer. If the bolt is attached (rusted) to the washer the amount of force required to remove the bolt is (a) force to extract the bolt from the threads in the socket in the keel, PLUS (b) the force required to turn the washer which is attached to the fiberglass hull with adhesive. By separating the bolt from the washer, the force required to remove the bolt is significantly reduced since ONLY the bolt is rotating.

6. Next step was to “square up” the 6 sides of the bolt head so that I could have any chance of forcing one of the sockets onto the bolt head.

7. I then used a hammer to force fit the socket onto the rusted bolt head. I then used a DEWALT battery powered impact wrench to break free the bolt. I was only able to get the bolt to loosen by a ~ ½ turn with the impact wrench, as the impact wrench was only able to break loose the bolt. The impact wrench was not able to fully unscrew the bolt since there was considerable amount of sealant (again still flexible) surrounding the bolt in hole drilled in the hull for the bolt. I had to manually unscrew the bolt with a socket wrench until the sealant – which was still attached - broker loose. At that time, I was able to use the impact wrench to unscrew the remainder of the bolt – easily and quickly.

8. Upon removal each of the 20 mm OD x 80 mm L (with ~70 mm of exposed threads) bolts were inspected and condition noted as follows:
    1. Severely rusted bolt head (originally ~10 mm height)

2. 5 mm thick washer

3. 13 mm (hull thickness of ~ ½ inch) upper section <- upper portion rusted from water coming in from water in bilge

4. 52 mm of bolt in receiving socket in keel <- essentially as new without rust thus indicating no leak at hull/keel seam

5. Check: 5 + 13 + 52 = 70 mm
  9. We removed the bolts, one at a time, and then reinserted the original bolts – for now.

10. Our intent at this time was to simply confirm that each keel bolt could be removed. If during this process we had snapped off a keel bolt or simply encountered one that would not budge we would have had to (a) remove remainder of keel bolts, (b) grind off the head of the keel bolt which would not budge, (c) lift the hull and/or drop the keel to expose the stubborn keel bolts, and (d) use a pipe wrench to forcibly unscrew the stubborn bolt.

11. New keel bolts & washers are on order from BENETEAU USA.

12. We will be installing the new keel bolts in a week or so. We have yet to decide what type of sealant to use in the gap between the bolt and the slightly oversized hole drilled in the hull. It is definitely not 3M 5200 or 4200. It is still flexible after 32 years. Anyone have any idea as to what it may be?

May 25, 2018
Beneteau First 38 SAILING THE SEA OF CORTEZ
Doug we have been messaging Tim and he has been great help. We are going to replace the keel bolts and I was wondering what did you use on the threads if anything, did you seal the bolt heads/washers and if so with what?

Oct 9, 2013
Hi s/v milou,

Anti-Seize Lubricant: Used Permatex Aluminum Anti-Seize Lubricant. The “aluminum” refers to the composition of the compound – not the intended metal parts. It is recommended for marine service and all metals.

Caulk: Used BoatLife Life-Caulk. This caulk remains somewhat flexible after being cured. Thus, it is able to stretch and continue to seal if there is any flexing of the hull and/or the washer/hull joint.

Procedure:

• Used a mechanic’s pick set to clean out the old sealant that was at the bottom of each bolt hole.
  • Used a Dremel rotary tool with a cylindrical cutter bit to remove the old caulk that was above the bolt hole while being very careful not to let the whirring bit drop into the bolt hole and damage the threads. While the bolt hole is 20 mm in diameter, the holes drilled into the fiberglass hull were oversized (maybe 30 to 35 mm in diameter). Thus, an “o-ring” type gasket had been formed when the caulk has been applied under the washers as the bolts were inserted back in 1984. I needed to remove this old caulk so that new caulk will adhere to the fiberglass and form a new “o-ring” gasket to keep any bilge water from making its way down to the bolt threads that are in the keel.
  • Used ZEP Heavy Duty Citrus Degreaser to clean hull area around each bolt. This product contains amines so use gloves and insure that you have good ventilation.
  • Used acetone to remove oil/grease. Again gloves and ventilation.
  • I then used a handheld random orbital sander to clean up / roughen the fiberglass hull in the area of each bolt hole.
  • Used a section of ½” ID hose attached to shop vac tool to insert into each bolt hole to make sure that it was clean & empty. Any debris left in the bolt hole may have impeded full insertion of the bolt. Simply holding the crevice tool of the shop vac at the top of the bolt hole did not pick up the debris in the bottom of the bolt hole. I did not have an air compressor available to blow out the holes.
  • Used acetone again for final cleaning and to remove oil/grease. Again gloves and ventilation.
  • Note: At this time, we painted the entire interior of the hull with PETTIT epoxy primer & two coats of PETTIT EasyPoxy (which is a top side paint). We used this instead of bilge paint since we only have a bit of rainwater that makes its way down the ID of the mast and rarely have any oil/diesel fuel that makes it way to the bilge area.
  • Used a chopstick to dip in the bottle of Permatex Aluminum Anti-Seize Lubricant and then carefully insert the wetted chopstick into the bolt hole to coat the threads in the hole. I did not apply the anti-seize lubricant to the bolt itself since I did not want to risk getting any lubricant on the areas where new caulk will be.
  • Used the thicker square washers instead of the round washers. Beneteau now uses the thicker square washers for their current models. The square washers are about 2x thicker than the original circular washers.
  • Used a caulk gun to partially fill the gap (annulus or doughnut) between the bolt (not yet inserted) and the fiberglass hull while leaving the center (doughnut hole) empty. I tried not to let any caulk drip into the bolt hole as the threads of the bolt and bolt hole should not be sealed/filled with caulk. The threads should only be coated with anti-seize lubricant so that the bolts do not gall. This allows re-torqueing of the bolts every year or so and, if necessary, removal of the bolts one day far, far in the future.
  • With an assistant (Tim) helping, we then (a) inserted the bolt (with washer held up to keep it from touching the hull) into the keel and screwed it in until one or two threads were holding the bolt in place. We then used the caulk gun to overfill the annular area between the bolt and hole drilled in the hull, the area around the bolt, and the area under the square washer. Tim was still holding the washer up while I pumped in the caulk. Then we screwed the bolt into the keel (while holding the square washer so that it would not rotate) until it was tight. Keeping the washer from rotating is important so that a gasket is formed under the square washer. At this point, we did not overtighten, as we wanted a thin layer of caulk to partially set up as a gasket under the square washer. Lots of excess caulked oozed out as we tightened the bolts. We left this caulk in place.
  • We then waited 3 to 4 days to let the caulk (under the washer) set up. The caulk was still flexible at this time but had formed a skin.
  • Used an 18” long torque wrench to tighten all keel bolts staggering the pattern as you would when tightening lug nits when changing a tire.
  • Started at 50 ft-lbs and went up to 150 ft-lbs in 25 ft-lb increments.
  • For “Dacromatised” (aka galvanized) steel bolts Type 8-8 M20 the min torque is 94 ft-lbs and the max torque is 195 ft-lbs.
  • After 2 weeks used a West Systems mixing tool to remove all of the excess caulk that had oozed out.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Bolts only need to be one and a half times longer than the diameter to have maximum holding strength.
Minimum engagement depth for full structural integrity, will vary greatly depending on the materials in question (grade of the fastener) & the thread form.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
5 Using a DREMEL with a heavy-duty cut-off disc, the bolt head was separated from the washer by cutting horizontally at the junction between the base of the bolt head and the top of the washer. It took about 1 disc per bolt to cut around each of the bolt heads. Rationale for this cut is to separate the bolt from the washer. If the bolt is attached (rusted) to the washer the amount of force required to remove the bolt is (a) force to extract the bolt from the threads in the socket in the keel, PLUS (b) the force required to turn the washer which is attached to the fiberglass hull with adhesive. By separating the bolt from the washer, the force required to remove the bolt is significantly reduced since ONLY the bolt is rotating...
Another advantage of grinding out material between the bolt head & the surface below it, is that you relieve pressure on the threads, which also makes the bolt much easier to remove. I used to use that same trick when removing original barrels from old Mauser actions.

Your entire write up was fantastic. Thank you for posting.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I'm pretty sure I read on SBO that bolts to be torqued should have clean and dry threads for proper readings. Just say'n.