K&N filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
I was on my boat for the first time this year yesterday. On a whim I decided to remove the air intake filter. I couldn't believe what I found. The inside screens were falling a part and the screen that prevents things from going into the motor has a hole in it ( I made it bigger getting the canister apart). I can only hope nothing was getting into the motor. Obviously this will be replaced. Might want to check yours!

Attachments

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
My guess - these photos added a new item to a number of to- do lists out there. I know it did to mine.

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
Went to see my friend Merlin at Kaufman diesel and he supplied me with this filter. The original is 4" in diameter, this one is 5 1/2" but fits very nicely. I also removed the intake to make sure there weren't any of those small pieces in it. There weren't any but it was very greasy inside from when the breather tube used to drip on it. I re-routed the tube a few years ago. While it was off I cleaned and painted it.

DuraLite has a website with specs on the filters if any one is interested.

Attachments

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Crankcase Vent Hose

Still thinking on my vent hose hook up. I did get the K&N installed as per PaulJ's idea and added a PVC 90 degree elbow. My thought it to run that into some type of container as well as the hose from the vent so I can draw off the fumes. I attempted to use an old nutella jar, but the lid was really thin plastic and brittle. I am going to load the bottom of the jar with some of the 3M Scotchbrite plastic scrubbing pad to catch the oil.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Still thinking on my vent hose hook up. I did get the K&N installed as per PaulJ's idea and added a PVC 90 degree elbow. My thought it to run that into some type of container as well as the hose from the vent so I can draw off the fumes. I attempted to use an old nutella jar, but the lid was really thin plastic and brittle. I am going to load the bottom of the jar with some of the 3M Scotchbrite plastic scrubbing pad to catch the oil.
I'm on my phone so I can't attach a link, but do a search for Jeggs air/oil separator. I was thinking of adding this and still might at some point.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I used a Skippy peanut butter jar. Drilled 1/2" hole for the hose plus many others to let the fumes out, too, or else it builds up too much back pressure.

Please see Reply #18 on this very thread. :)

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Why wouldn't installing a simple oil separator filter as is used on an air compressor work in the line to the intake?

Status
Not open for further replies.