K&N filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
2009 project

I could not attach photos to the email................

K&N Product Information for RC-2450
Universal Air Filters > Universal Chrome Filter

K&N's Universal Air Filters are designed and manufactured for a wide variety of applications including racing vehicles, radio-controlled cars, generators, snowmobiles, tractors, and other applications. Regardless of the angle or offset diameter of the air intake, there is probably a K&N Universal air filter for your equipment. All filters are constructed with ultra-strong molded pliable rubber flanges which absorb vibration and allow for secure attachment and can also be stretched for up to 1/16" (1.5mm) to fit in-between sizes. K&N universal air filters are washable and reusable. [MORE]

RC-2450 Product Specifications
Product Style: Oval Tapered Universal Air Filter
Base Outside Length: 4 in (102 mm)
Base Outside Width: 2.875 in (73 mm)
Flange Inside Diameter: 1.75 in (44 mm)
Flange Length: 0.625 in (16 mm)
Flange Offset: 0.5 in (13 mm)
Flange Type: Offset
Height: 2.75 in (70 mm)
Top Outside Length: 3 in (76 mm)
Top Outside Width: 2 in (51 mm)
Top Style: Metal
Top Material/Finish: Chrome
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 0.27 oz (8 ml)
Flanges: 1
Footnote 1: Offset is vertical
Inner Wire: No
Weight: 0.5 lb (0.2 kg)
Product Box Length: 4.63 in (117 mm)
Product Box Width: 4.63 in (117 mm)
Product Box Height: 4.25 in (108 mm)
Available Information
Large Picture
Medium Picture
Small Picture
RC-2450 Vehicle Applications
Accessories
RC-1820DK - Air Filter Wrap
K&N RC-2450 Inventory Status
USA: In stock
United Kingdom: In stock

paulj :troll:

Attachments

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
iSailor

I switched air filter design because the existing crankcase breather hose kept dripping oil, making a oily mess.

The only particles in the engine conpartment seem to come from the fan belt......what mess that makes.

Just because after 425 engine hours I have not had a problem, doesn't mean this is the way to go........

but no more oilly mess...life is full of trade-offs. This post was for some guy from Quantico.

MarkZ

Nov 5, 2005
Hunter 49 Green Turtle Bay: Ky
I wonder if that filter meets the regulation specs for a spark arrestor. I'm not sure if the requirements are any different for a diesel than they are for gasoline, and I don't have time to look it up at the moment, but it doesn't appear that it would qualify. Just curious.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Don't need a flame arrestor for diesel

I wonder if that filter meets the regulation specs for a spark arrestor. I'm not sure if the requirements are any different for a diesel than they are for gasoline, and I don't have time to look it up at the moment, but it doesn't appear that it would qualify. Just curious.
PaulJ, Thanks for posting. You have me curious about the oil. How does the new filter prevent that?

Sep 29, 2008
So there is an attachment on the K&N?

Filter? That is what it looks like in the picture. This is getting more interesting.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Gasoline engines need baffled air intakes to prevent backfires from igniting flammable mixtures. I dont know of any such thing on a diesel.

Diesels like a lot of air. More air is more power from the available fuel, which means you can throttle back a bit, which equals greater efficiency/fuel economy. K&N's do work, as far as admitting more air, but are not as good at filtration as good paper elements. But were out on a sailboat, not blasting down a dirt road in a F350 Ford diesel. I would put the largest filter on it you can, within reason.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
AHHHH

Just because after 425 engine hours I have not had a problem, doesn't mean this is the way to go........

but no more oilly mess...
life is full of trade-offs. This post was for some guy from Quantico.

Sep 29, 2008
Ahhhh

PaulJ, rest assured I don't hate you because you're beautiful. :poke:

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
MarkZ

For the debating section.......from Stu's 34 site.

:wow:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?PHPSESSID=029eecf802a331ad08422bcdcae6f341&topic=2286.0

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?PHPSESSID=029eecf802a331ad08422bcdcae6f341&topic=6297.0

Sep 29, 2008
One more question for PaulJ

Was that fitting the hose goes into stock on the filter or did you add it? It looks pretty sweet. ;)

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
MarkZ

Have you found any information on the quote above ?

ABYC or US Coast Gaurd.................

MarkZ

Nov 5, 2005
Hunter 49 Green Turtle Bay: Ky
MarkZ

Have you found any information on the quote above ?

ABYC or US Coast Gaurd.................

PaulJ, I started to look it up in the CFR's a week or so ago, but ran out of time before I found it. A couple of previous posts seemed confident that there is no requirement for diesels, so I haven't been very motivated to research it.

Sep 29, 2008
Any more details

This post was for some guy from Quantico.
Just to :stirthepot: just a little, PaulJ do you have to specs on that brass fitting? I was in Ace Hardware today looking for that fitting and they were playing dumb on me.

Also, in looking at Stu's links I was wondering if anyone had pictures of the oil catcher? One guy mentioned using a beer can with a 3M scrubbing pad to act as a filter. I like that idea :+1: of collecting the oil so it is not directly ingested into the engine.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Ray, I just "upgraded" my Excedrin bottle to a full sized "Jiffy Peanut Butter" jar!!!:D

I drilled a 1/2" hole in the top to shove the hose through, and then drilled a whole bunch more holes to assure that the jar would "breathe."

The bigger jar fits better and is held up properly between the stringer and the sidewall of the engine compartment. I looked at it when the engine was running and there's a tad of white smoke swirling around inside the jar.

The picture was for placement, I put the top on later.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Stu is the Man

Stu, I think I understand now. I think the crankcase, because the engine is doing what it does generates vapor. As the outlet of most of our hoses is by the air filter the oil infused air gets sucked into the filter and then the engine. Along the way some of that oil vapor condenses and causes that bit of mess. I had noticed how my foam cover got oil on it, but it was never a lot.

I liked PaulJ's idea of the K&N filter. It was also a no brainer as the replacement foam cover was $18 on CatalinaDirect but the K&N was only $26 on Amazon so the difference was slight enough to get the nicer filter.

For now I am planning on installing the filter with the brass fitting and adding a bottle like you did to capture the oil residue. May take me a week to two to get around to it, but I have an idea. ;) I promise to post a picture when I get I get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.