Just starting out....am I thinking right?

Nov 3, 2019
Owens Cutter 40 Everett
I saw a 26 something guy who bought an Owens 40’ boat for his first boat. I had observed it in the marina for the past several years. No idea which year. This is one of 50 wooden hulled boats built between 1944 and 1955. He and a friend were stripping the red ablative paint from the hull. I do not think it would be a good boat choice for a person new to sailing. The new owner will have a steep learning curve.
My bet it will be sold before he sails it.
After enough time the effort to restore a boat, especially a wood one.can eat away your enthusiasm for completing and sailing it.
Just stumbled upon this thread googling
my boat (everyone googles their boat right?).

I’m guessing we met while Mariah was in dry dock. I am a young guy (not 26). Mariah is the first sailboat I have owned (I have sailed other boats). She is a 1947 Owens Cutter. 40’ LOA. And we have had a steep learning curve. Kinda checks all the boxes. Let’s go sailing sometime.

Since relaunching in July, we have gone sailing 9 times and spent one night at anchor (unfortunately we also live land lives and have been very busy). Getting a feel for the rig and sail inventory that we have has been a blast. And, we learn every time we step onboard.

We have done a ton of work and there remains much to do. But we think she is a choice sailboat. And is certainly the right boat for us right now.

Here are some sailing photos
28994514-27FC-4DAB-BC40-E6B32BEC53AC.jpeg621BDE83-EB49-40AF-884B-68F4F9B6DCF7.jpegA46835CF-134D-409A-8F0C-D31041E7C184.jpeg3BD765D1-5B79-44D9-BFF2-C61C95F80A5C.jpegB250EFA5-0EEA-4E89-8D5D-0B4EF74CF52D.jpegAE052B2A-800F-4D23-A1A9-BC19B07552A7.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I am trying to figure out how I should start before I get too old lol (I'm 50). At first I though of just getting something like a Hobie to learn techniques on, but the cost of a trailer sailor doesn't look like much more money. I also want something that I could spend the night on occasionally. I already own a camper and a tow vehicle so I am good at tinkering, electrical, repairs, mechanical, learning new things, etc. I want to keep it under the $8-10K mark, which I would think would give me lots of options.
I started out with a Hobie 16.....fun to go fast and fly a hull!! Then chartered 37 foot Seidelmann's in the Chesapeake Bay for a number of years. Eventually purchased a Hunter 31 as an entry level boat for overnighters and tinkering but obviously not trailerable. Then moved to a Hunter 46 for extended cruising. The forum has provided excellent recommendations on affordable used, trailerable sailboats which you can spend overnighters and tinker on and learn about rigging, etc. The link to the article below compliments these recommendations.

Oct 10, 2019
Signet 20 0 Ithaca
My advice is:
1. Get a small boat with a couple of berths and a cute l'il galley and a head. (Remember: standing headroom is overrated)
2. Don't spend all your money on your first boat, cause you'll have unexpected expenses(!) and you might not enjoy sailing after all...
3. Rent a slip for the season so you don't have to fuss with launching all the time (see #2)
3. And sail as often as you possibly can, run aground a few times, try not to gybe accidentally, don't forget to tie off the bitter end of your anchor rode (trust me...), only drink when you're on the hook or tied up to something solid, head out even when it's blowing pretty hard (but not too hard, the goal is to have fun but not die doing it), and ask as many stupid questions as you can possibly think of. You'll do fine.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Nah. Standing headroom falls into the same category as the statement that begins with “happy wife”.... it cannot be overstated.

Nov 3, 2019
Owens Cutter 40 Everett
My bet it will be sold before he sails it.
After enough time the effort to restore a boat, especially a wood one.can eat away your enthusiasm for completing and sailing it.
what a wonderful learning curve it has been. Below are some photos of Mariah under sail. It has been an huge amount of work and learning AND we we have had many wonderful adventures locally, to the San Juan Islands and to the southern Salish sea in our first year of boat ownership.

My advice is get the sailboat that reflects your character and goals. Get the boat that looks fun to sail and you can afford. Just get the boat. And then go sailing. Go sailing a lot. In light air, no air, motor around, sail around an island, practice picking up crab pot buoys under sail, practice heaving to and pull said crab pots under sail, go out in heavy weather and get humbled, reef next time, go sailing with friends who have never sailed, teach them and learn every time you go out.

did the original poster end up getting a boat? I hope so!

Main out.

Attachments

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
what a wonderful learning curve it has been. Below are some photos of Mariah under sail. It has been an huge amount of work and learning AND we we have had many wonderful adventures locally, to the San Juan Islands and to the southern Salish sea in our first year of boat ownership.

My advice is get the sailboat that reflects your character and goals. Get the boat that looks fun to sail and you can afford. Just get the boat. And then go sailing. Go sailing a lot. In light air, no air, motor around, sail around an island, practice picking up crab pot buoys under sail, practice heaving to and pull said crab pots under sail, go out in heavy weather and get humbled, reef next time, go sailing with friends who have never sailed, teach them and learn every time you go out.

did the original poster end up getting a boat? I hope so!

Main out.
That"s what some people don't realize.

Not sure how many it applies to, but part of the addiction IS the learning curve and challenge.

For some that is the sailing.. Others it's working on the boat. Hell some people build boats and actually complete them.

You have to know yourself. Then again sometimes it teaches you about yourself....

Mariah looks in great shape. Nice boat ! And good outlook !

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Falls into the “diminishing returns” column, eventually. :)
Amazingly enough my wife is about as practical and tough as it gets. When the zombies arrive i want her on my side. We were once forced to sleep in makeshift shelter, on pine bows under a fallen tree, at 5 degrees. No whining from either of us. When I mentioned my admiration for her she said, "why complain, it serves no purpose" she also prefers wilderness camping and hate RVs.

If anything our dimimishing returns would be the spinal length decrease over time. Hehe

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Which was why the Mac went to a new home. After a while it gets old putting your pants on, on your knees. Good boat, great camper. Towed great, easy everywhere, except height.
Everything's s compromise somehow.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I HAVE been wondering about a Mega 30. There is a thread here where someone refit one"improved for cruising".
The founders of Good Old Boat magazine own one.
It's speed and headroom have me intrigued.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I've met a few people who've gotten the rigging process down to 20 minutes. My Starwind 19 (great boat BTW) took close to an hour. I rigged up an electric winch on the trailer for mast stepping. After one season of trailer season I was happy to cough up the money for a slip

Jan 17, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Austin
I started sailing last spring with a used Hobie Adventure Island trimaran kayak. It is single seater with trampolines. If you want an easy, no maintenance boat, that you can setup in minutes, and just carry it to the side of the lake, and fits in your garage, It doesn't get any easier than a Hobie Adventure Island. I has peddles, so if there is no wind, you just peddle it back home. They also make a two seater, but I got the single seater. The whole thing is made out of plastic, and the mast weighs next to nothing. I have never sailed before. I bought it on one day, and sailed it the next day, and I used it all summer, and after the price of the boat, I haven't spent a nickel on it.

I always wanted a Catalina 22, and have been looking for a cheap one for a while, but the cheap ones need a ton of work, and the good ones are too expensive. Plus yearly slip fees around here cost more than the boat. Last week, I saw a Hunter 19-2 for sale in my area. I never even heard of Hunter, but I went to go look at it. The boat looks like it hasn't been used in at least 10 years. It is super dirty. I was raining when I showed up, so I climbed on board, and it was dry as a bone. So at least I know it doesn't leak. No windows to reseal like in most Catalina's. There was also no wood inside, so nothing that needs to be sanded and painted, and the cushions are made of vinyl, not cloth, so all they need is a good cleaning. The whole boat is basically all fiberglass inside and out, so basically, I just need to power wash it. So I made a low ball offer, and now own a bigger boat. I put new tires on the trailer and towed it home.

The sails where stored inside the boat, and they look to be in excellent shape. From what I can see, the only thing I need to buy for the boat to get it lake ready is new lines. The boat came with a new 6 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke, with two hours on it. So I basically bought the outboard, and got a free boat and trailer. I believe the mast weighs around 25 lbs, so I think I can just walk it up, but it does come with a gin pole.

So if you are looking for a Catalina 22, and don't want to spend all your time and money restoring it, look for a Hunter 19-2. Or if you want a no maintenance, easy to use sail boat, check out the Hobie Adventure Island.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
So if you are looking for a Catalina 22, and don't want to spend all your time and money restoring it,
Lol. The C22 is very cheap compared to anything similar.

Your point about the conveinence and low cost of a smaller boat is spot on though.

I have always wanted CL16 or Wayfarer with a boom tent for a small, very capable dinghy. A well chosen cat could also make a nice, 1 person sailboat that could be used fot "boat camping"