• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Just starting out....am I thinking right?

Nov 3, 2019
Owens Cutter 40 Mariah Everett
I saw a 26 something guy who bought an Owens 40’ boat for his first boat. I had observed it in the marina for the past several years. No idea which year. This is one of 50 wooden hulled boats built between 1944 and 1955. He and a friend were stripping the red ablative paint from the hull. I do not think it would be a good boat choice for a person new to sailing. The new owner will have a steep learning curve.
My bet it will be sold before he sails it.
After enough time the effort to restore a boat, especially a wood one.can eat away your enthusiasm for completing and sailing it.
Just stumbled upon this thread googling
my boat (everyone googles their boat right?).

I’m guessing we met while Mariah was in dry dock. I am a young guy (not 26). Mariah is the first sailboat I have owned (I have sailed other boats). She is a 1947 Owens Cutter. 40’ LOA. And we have had a steep learning curve. Kinda checks all the boxes. Let’s go sailing sometime.

Since relaunching in July, we have gone sailing 9 times and spent one night at anchor (unfortunately we also live land lives and have been very busy). Getting a feel for the rig and sail inventory that we have has been a blast. And, we learn every time we step onboard.

We have done a ton of work and there remains much to do. But we think she is a choice sailboat. And is certainly the right boat for us right now.

Here are some sailing photos
28994514-27FC-4DAB-BC40-E6B32BEC53AC.jpeg621BDE83-EB49-40AF-884B-68F4F9B6DCF7.jpegA46835CF-134D-409A-8F0C-D31041E7C184.jpeg3BD765D1-5B79-44D9-BFF2-C61C95F80A5C.jpegB250EFA5-0EEA-4E89-8D5D-0B4EF74CF52D.jpegAE052B2A-800F-4D23-A1A9-BC19B07552A7.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I am trying to figure out how I should start before I get too old lol (I'm 50). At first I though of just getting something like a Hobie to learn techniques on, but the cost of a trailer sailor doesn't look like much more money. I also want something that I could spend the night on occasionally. I already own a camper and a tow vehicle so I am good at tinkering, electrical, repairs, mechanical, learning new things, etc. I want to keep it under the $8-10K mark, which I would think would give me lots of options.
I started out with a Hobie 16.....fun to go fast and fly a hull!! Then chartered 37 foot Seidelmann's in the Chesapeake Bay for a number of years. Eventually purchased a Hunter 31 as an entry level boat for overnighters and tinkering but obviously not trailerable. Then moved to a Hunter 46 for extended cruising. The forum has provided excellent recommendations on affordable used, trailerable sailboats which you can spend overnighters and tinker on and learn about rigging, etc. The link to the article below compliments these recommendations.

Oct 10, 2019
Signet 20 107 Ithaca
My advice is:
1. Get a small boat with a couple of berths and a cute l'il galley and a head. (Remember: standing headroom is overrated)
2. Don't spend all your money on your first boat, cause you'll have unexpected expenses(!) and you might not enjoy sailing after all...
3. Rent a slip for the season so you don't have to fuss with launching all the time (see #2)
3. And sail as often as you possibly can, run aground a few times, try not to gybe accidentally, don't forget to tie off the bitter end of your anchor rode (trust me...), only drink when you're on the hook or tied up to something solid, head out even when it's blowing pretty hard (but not too hard, the goal is to have fun but not die doing it), and ask as many stupid questions as you can possibly think of. You'll do fine.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 Wabamun - on the orange ball
Nah. Standing headroom falls into the same category as the statement that begins with “happy wife”.... it cannot be overstated.