just curious

• Thread starter patrick e. boole
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

patrick e. boole

i keep my 30 at santa cruz harbor in ca. the harbor is divided into the north end and the south end. there is a bridge dividing the two with a low water clearence of about 22 feet and high water of 16. the sail boats in the north harbor have to have their rigs tabernacled so as to be able to lower the mast to clear the bridge. after you set your rig up properly the lowering is really only hard on your nerves but i am curious, does any other harbor have a obstruction that requires sailboats to tabernacle their rigs.

J

John Mavrovich

Tabernacling

Patrick, I sail my C30 on the NC coast. From time to time I travel to Santa Cruz on business and have participated in the Wednesday evening "beer races" - great fun. Just go from boat to boat looking to crew and you'll get on a boat with nice folks. Anyway, I was driving over the bridge separating the inner/outer harbors one day and was puzzled at the tall masts inside the bridge. I investigated and was real impressed at the resourcefulness of the sailors in SC. This is something to be submitted to Sail Magazine's "things that work" column. Regards, John S/V Malida

G

Gary

lowering the mast for the inner harbor

I presently own a 36 Catalina that has a tabunacular mast. It came from Santa Cruze. She is a tall rig and is great. The former owner had her converted to be able to access the inner harbor @ Santa Cruze.I am presently looking at a 42 to purchase. I should market the boat in that area as it is a great feature...............Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.