Just cruising along...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Found my H31 at LCYC and brought it to Kemah (and now NOLA). Canyon lake is a fun place to sail, and YES that ramp is brutal when trying to haul out a boat on a trailer, especially one that draws 5'6". Congrats on the new job and if you have time take in a few of the local Texas wineries in that area. also a good time. View attachment 190096
It's usually very hard to convey the extreme steepness of something like a mountain trail or the massive size of a wave, in a photograph. Jmce, your picture does a good job of showing how steep that ramp is. I'd want to double check my breaks before approaching that ramp.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Congratulations JD, on the move. I really like Texas. I haven't seen much of their coast, other than Mustang Beach, but I love the area around San Antonio and all the little towns known for their great Texas BBQ.

-Will (Dragonfly)

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
1612801907462.png

LCYC J24 Launch procedure. She fell off the back of the trailer. Serious road rash! :biggrin: See Post # 18 for a better perspective of the steepness of that ramp.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
so Clay, when do you expect, or perhaps there already is a special SBO-promotion post somewhere?!

No Worries isn't in the market, but perhaps the Melges fleet is
Ha! Stay tuned in the Atlas thread I created in Racing.

Nov 8, 2010
Found my H31 at LCYC and brought it to Kemah (and now NOLA). Canyon lake is a fun place to sail, and YES that ramp is brutal when trying to haul out a boat on a trailer, especially one that draws 5'6". Congrats on the new job and if you have time take in a few of the local Texas wineries in that area. also a good time. View attachment 190096

The LCYC ramp is sinister for sure. A Catalina 22 broke free and ran down the entire length at Wurstfest two years ago. Just missed us, and it crushed a truck launching a J24.

You are right, some of the local winerys are very decent. Like the Duchman.

But barbeque? Oh Man. For the experience, the Saltlick takes it. But for pure excellence, the San Marcos Barbeque is the real deal.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
FYI to all, I've created a thread in racing on the Atlas.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Ha! Stay tuned in the Atlas thread I created in Racing.
Thanks JD. Liked on facebook. I see that a friend Rod Favela is a distributor as well on his site. Sailed with him at a few racing schools.

Nov 8, 2010
Thanks JD. Liked on facebook. I see that a friend Rod Favela is a distributor as well on his site. Sailed with him at a few racing schools.
Yes, Rod is a good friend and a huge asset to Varkaros. I'm excited to be working with him as well as being a friend.

Nov 8, 2010
If you ever do the drive south into Texas, get off of IH35W and hop on US281. For BBQ try the Hard Eight Pit BBQ at Stephenville.
US281 travel
That US281 idea is interesting; the only nasty part of the drive home (99.9%) on I35 is Austin-Waco-Dallas. Texas city traffic patterns are a disaster. Texans has yet to learn the lesson that plagued Atlanta; that the only real cure to crappy city traffic is population density, and not wider roads.

Hard Eight? Isn't that a chain? There is one I used to frequent that was right next to the Pier 121 marina on Lake Lewisville, were we bought the First 36.7 and sailed her for the first season.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That US281 idea is interesting; the only nasty part of the drive home (99.9%) on I35 is Austin-Waco-Dallas. Texas city traffic patterns are a disaster. Texans has yet to learn the lesson that plagued Atlanta; that the only real cure to crappy city traffic is population density, and not wider roads.

Hard Eight? Isn't that a chain? There is one I used to frequent that was right next to the Pier 121 marina on Lake Lewisville, were we bought the First 36.7 and sailed her for the first season.
Exactly! On our way to San Antonio we would usually hit Austin around rush hour. You could enter easy enough on the north end but getting out of the city on the south end is a nightmare! Ft Worth isn't much better. US281 is mostly 70MPH and there are passing lanes. Nice countryside and places to stop like the Koffee Kup and Wiseman chocolates in Hico.
I believe you are right. Hard Eight is a chain. I just noticed it on their website. You wouldn't know it to go there. Very rustic and homey atmosphere.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Luling Texas was one of our best stops for BBQ. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the restaurant. There was a fantastic Potter, Icehouse Pottery, where we got some of my wife's favorite pieces.

For an old time Texas feel, the town of Gruene was a lot of fun. Great fly fishing shop there, where I got my fly rod and reel (TFO, Temple Fork Outfitters, they have replaced sections of my rod 3 times for only the cost of shipping. Each time it was my fault).

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
I believe you are right. Hard Eight is a chain. I just noticed it on their website. You wouldn't know it to go there. Very rustic and homey atmosphere.
I thought the same thing the first time I walked into a TGI Fridays! ;^)