Just bought an O'day 26!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
After much haggling and assuring the Admiral she would indeed have stand up headroom (she about is 5'-3") we now own an 85' O'day 26'!
She is on a mooring at Cave Run Lake in Kentucky and looks rather neglected. The previous owner admitted he hadn't even seen the boat in 2-3 years but allowed us to board and inspect her stem to stern and "make him an offer". The offer was negotiated and accepted over nearly 9 months and 3-4 visits to inspect the boat.

She is dry inside and had an extensive refit a few years ago with new cushions, roller furler, genoa, life lines and many accessories.

I confirmed that the bulkheads were all replaced during the refit. So far a new or if possible refurbishing the existing main and repair or replace the Merc 9.9 outboard seem the biggest expenses ahead of us. Over winter we plan to haul her out for a complete bottom job and update the electrical system.

We previously have owned and sailed a Potter 15', Hunter 23', Hunter 170, C-Lark 14, Mac 22, Laser II.

More photos later this week!

image-1486045783.jpg

image-2596464.jpg

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Congrats on the purchase of the O'Day 26. One of our club members has an 86 O'Day 26 and he and his wife love the boat. I'm sure that you will too.

Good luck!
Joe

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
This weekend is scrub down day. Anyone know if there is a list of running rigging lengths for the O'day 26?

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
3 days of scrubbing, dozens of bats evicted from the mail sail and a touch of sunburn!

image-3666175373.jpg

Before

image-447472706.jpg

After

image-55316140.jpg

Topsides clean

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
This is what happens when bats decide to nest in your main sail! Guess we'll be shopping for a new main unless it cleans up. The boat was neglected, left on a mooring for several years. During clean out this weekend we found two brand new halyards, some new hatch rails and a lot of other new Harken hardware still in its packaging.

image-3047393051.jpg

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
There's pros and cons and varying opinions on cleaning, how to clean, what to clean, what to use on the sails. They can be damaged- destroying the filler in the weave. Something as bad as yours should probably be done professionally. http://sailcare.com/
Do some research before you proceed.
If you opt for a new sail and if it's the original you'll most likely need one, in September and October most sail lofts run discounts on new sails. This website also has good prices on sails.

Rich

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
I've used sailcare and had great results BUT at a cost nearly half of what a new sail would have cost.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Fly_H23 said:
I've used sailcare and had great results BUT at a cost nearly half of what a new sail would have cost.
When I sent my main to them, Jerry was at least very up front about the costs. He called with a detailed estimate of what the sail needed and said he didn't like doing repairs when the price tag was at half or better than the cost of a new sail. He lost a little money on that one because I decided to buy a new main from Rudy, but he gained later business with the honesty; I had him clean and repair my headsail and the job was top notch.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Soaked the main in a mild bleach bath this morning, rinsed then tried oxiclean, then another bleach bath. Sail looks 10x better so far. I rinsed again and going to soak in plain water over night to flush out all the cleaners. I'll post before and after pics tomorrow after I let it dry off.

image-2044764819.jpg

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
So far, I really like what I see in the O'day 26'. Well thought out design inside and out. Build quality looks much better than the previous 3 Hunters we've owned.

mjp83

Jul 11, 2012
Oday Mariner 2+2 Trailer sailer
I had some severe rust stains on my jib and spinnaker. Did some research and found oxalic acid as a solution for removing rust. I found it in powder form in a gold can, bar keepers friend, or something like that, at the grocery store for two bucks. Did not get my hopes up, but after scrubbing, rubbing it in as a semi wet paste, doing both sides of the sail, the stains disappeared! I did wash sails off with water, and then soaked them in a light solution of baking soda, with a quick fresh water rinse afterwards to balance out the ph. Sails are nice and crisp.

Wear gloves, and wash down driveway well after cleaning!

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
mjp83 said:
I had some severe rust stains on my jib and spinnaker. Did some research and found oxalic acid as a solution for removing rust. I found it in powder form in a gold can, bar keepers friend, or something like that, at the grocery store for two bucks. Did not get my hopes up, but after scrubbing, rubbing it in as a semi wet paste, doing both sides of the sail, the stains disappeared! I did wash sails off with water, and then soaked them in a light solution of baking soda, with a quick fresh water rinse afterwards to balance out the ph. Sails are nice and crisp.

Wear gloves, and wash down driveway well after cleaning!
I've used Bar Keeper Friend also for rust stain...works like magic!

haebby

Oct 30, 2011
Congrats on the purchase. Great job on the cleaning. We own an O'Day 26, too, and absolutely love it. Fantastic boat with great layout.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Mainsail after cleaning:

What a difference!

Really, thats amazing. My sails have a few stains, but I probably read too much and didnt try anything chlorinated. Worst stain is on the Gennaker, which being nylon I just wasnt going to risk it.

Keep an eye on them, Ive read the chlorine attacks the thread, so supposedly they just come apart at the seams. Yet I havent read anything anywhere of it actually happening. Yours were so bad I dont know what choice you really had, but they look like new, so who cares.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
There were a few loose seams that need re-sewn already before we used the bleach. Also, we rinsed and soaked it in fresh water several hours after the diluted bleach treatment. I figured I had nothing to lose as bad as that sail looked before.

Using clorox bleach diluted at least 10 or 20 parts water to 1 part bleach was a pretty weak solution. I've smelled stronger pool water! I would not advocate using any stronger mixture on a Dacron sail.

Status
Not open for further replies.