JIB SHEET QUESTION

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I have seen two ways of of attaching the jib sheets to the sail. One where two identical lengths are used with bolens through the clew cringle. The second way I have seen is to have one sheet, folded in half and threaded through the cringle and then looped. Which is better and why?

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Ha, don't need to answer this thread if you don't want to. Searching the archives I found a very lengthy thread. Answers are sometimes right in front of me, I just have to look!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Bowlines are more easily removed, and you can switch the sheets end-for-end to balance the wear. The single continuous sheet saves a little weight hanging on the clew.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
If you change sails often, I like tying each separately with a bowline. If you have a dedicated furler headsail which most people do these days, tying a single length in the middle with a cowhitch or other knot is preferable.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Those are two of the several ways to attach your jib sheets to the sail. Additional ideas include:
  • Tie jib sheets to a snap shackle. Clip the snap shackle to the clew
  • Tie a bowline to the end of the jib sheets then attache to clew with soft shackle
  • Put an eyesplice in the end of the jib sheets. Attach the jib sheets to the jib clew using a soft shackle. (My preferred technique)
  • use a halyard knot to tie the sheets to the clew
You have several considerations to make about your attachment of sheets.
The attachment should be:
  • light in weight
  • secure so as not to fall apart
  • neat in form so as not to snag on anything.
  • not be dangerous to crew when they go to the foredeck
  • not cause damage to the boat when in use
Your boat, your crew, your decision.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Interesting question and you get opposing view points. I have used both techniques and currently using 2 lengths tied t the clue. Same question came up on this thread: How to attach sheets to jib | Sailboat Owners Forums

Two identical lengths each tied to the clue with a bowline, cow hitch or buntline
  • Pro - most commonly used
  • Con - if one of the sheets broke at the knot, the knot would come undone and the jib would fly free
One length looped through the clew (and optionally tied off)
  • Pro - eliminates two bulky bowlines on the clew, which can get caught on rigging and mast fittings during tacks
  • Con -if tied off with a constrictor knot it could be VERY hard to untie, so the single length jib sheet becomes somewhat permanently attached to the jib clew

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Ha, don't need to answer this thread if you don't want to. Searching the archives I found a very lengthy thread. Answers are sometimes right in front of me, I just have to look!
Thanks, a voice of reason. I nominate YOU to suggest to others that they do some of what you just did, too. ;)

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'm not sure how one would tie a cow hitch when using two separate lines.... but... learning to tie the proper bowline will eliminate much of the "hang up" problems some people fear.. (that's where the bitter end of the knot is INSIDE the loop... but the most useful way to avoid those hang ups is to learn to tack properly... that is, allowing the wind to push the sail through the fore triangle, rather than trying to pull it through with the sheet.
I have big opinions on the single line, cow hitch method that are all over the archives (as people roll their eyes :banghead:) so I'll spare all of y'all from that.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Looks good but the shackle needs to be tightened.

I've used a single line with cow hitch tie to the clew for since I started sailing 8 or 9 years ago. Never had an issue untying and removing the jib sheet at the end of the season. Of course our season here in the NE is only about 6 months long, that may make a difference.

Plan to try a soft shackle for the sheet attachment next spring.

@jssailem was very patient teaching me how to make soft shackles last winter. Made about a dozen of various sizes for various uses.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When I was new to sailing, the convenience of the snap shackle was all the rage.

They still are a useful tool on a boat. They do need to be inspected. Some are better than others in material and design. If yours looks like this one it is time to replace.

5B898969-A3A6-4D7B-9D02-387959B33F04.jpeg