Jib sheet block

May 16, 2021
Oday 25 Lake George
My jib sheet block is positioned such that the sheet rubs against the deck as shown. I do not think simply moving the block forward in the track will fix the issue. I'm thinking of replacing the block with something longer (not sure they exist), or putting a bullseye fairlead on the step to pull the sheet off the fiberglass corner. Has anyone else faced this issue? Any other possible solutions? i have seen stainless steel corners for this, but they are not curved to match the contour of the deck.

Thanks, Todd

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Not sure about the O'Day 25, however many boats have a turning block aft of the winch on the outside of the coaming. The sheet leads through the stand up block aft to the turning block and then to the winch. This might eliminate the problem you're facing and provide a fairer lead to the winch.

May 16, 2021
Oday 25 Lake George
Not sure about the O'Day 25, however many boats have a turning block aft of the winch on the outside of the coaming. The sheet leads through the stand up block aft to the turning block and then to the winch. This might eliminate the problem you're facing and provide a fairer lead to the winch.
thanks for your reply. There are two stand-up blocks on each track on the coaming, I use the more forward one for the 130 Genoa and assumed the most aft one was for a spinnaker, which we don’t own. If the 110 jib sail shape will be fine in the Genoa block, I can just use that.

Jan 11, 2014
Do you have a photo of the all the tracks and blocks for the headsails? That would be helpful as would a photo of the deck showing the winch, track, etc.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Here's a pic that I believe shows the issue TC is having. On the O'day 25 the combing is stepped up where it reaches the cockpit. The winch is on the raised area and back a bit from the edge, too far to get a good fair lead to it.
The red line points to the OEM position of the standard single raised block. I removed it and installed the track. I also put a 3/4" (maybe 1") shim under the winches to raise them higher. This improved the angle of the line to the winch so the sheet was just touching the top corner of the combing as it angle up to the winch. This is shown by the blue line.

IMG_4561.JPG

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
thanks for your reply. There are two stand-up blocks on each track on the coaming, I use the more forward one for the 130 Genoa and assumed the most aft one was for a spinnaker, which we don’t own. If the 110 jib sail shape will be fine in the Genoa block, I can just use that.
I think what Dave in post 2 is suggesting is that maybe the sheet should go through the lead on the deck (as in your photo) but then instead of going from there directly to the winch it should go through the forward block on the coaming and then to the winch. Would that work in your setup?

But of course people like WardH certainly know more about O'Day 25's.

May 16, 2021
Oday 25 Lake George
Here you can see the T-track on the coaming, the aft stand-up block, movable cleat, forward Genoa block, winch, and sheet cleat.

Attachments

May 16, 2021
Oday 25 Lake George
Here's a pic that I believe shows the issue TC is having. On the O'day 25 the combing is stepped up where it reaches the cockpit. The winch is on the raised area and back a bit from the edge, too far to get a good fair lead to it.
The red line points to the OEM position of the standard single raised block. I removed it and installed the track. I also put a 3/4" (maybe 1") shim under the winches to raise them higher. This improved the angle of the line to the winch so the sheet was just touching the top corner of the combing as it angle up to the winch. This is shown by the blue line.

View attachment 220342
Didn’t think about shimming the winch higher - another possibility, thanks.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Here you can see the T-track on the coaming, the aft stand-up block, movable cleat, forward Genoa block, winch, and sheet cleat.
Right. That looks like the genoa sheet is leading directly to the block on the coaming. Can the jib sheet be led through the block on the deck, then back to the block on the coaming you are using for the genoa sheet and then to the winch?

Jan 11, 2014
This is how it should be lead, a nice fair lead to the winch. However, it should go through the forward block first even for the larger genoa. The genoa should trim better with the sheet going through the deck block first.

If you are obsessive about sail trim, the position of the forward block (and perhaps the aft block) is not set it and forget it. When the wind is forward the block should be moved aft, off the wind it should move forward. A larger sail will necessarily have the block moved further aft than the smaller jib for the same point of sail.

Racers and mildly obsessive cruisers [:rolleyes:] will have towable genoa cars. These allow the jib lead position to be adjusted on the fly with the sailed filled. The type of car you have requires the sail to be depowered first.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Right. That looks like the genoa sheet is leading directly to the block on the coaming. Can the jib sheet be led through the block on the deck, then back to the block on the coaming you are using for the genoa sheet and then to the winch?
On my boat, no. The section of track behind the winch curves in too much with the coaming. I couldn't place a block on the deck outboard enough to clear the side of the coaming.
Hopefully, with TC's track positioned further back and maybe further outboard he can get a fair lead that way.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm pretty sure the track in your picture is for a spinnaker. I haven't seen any wear on the edge in question on my O'Day 25. These "Wear and Tear pads" might work. I emphasize might because of the curvature of the coaming. What's your main concern with the jib sheet touching the fiberglass?

May 16, 2021
Oday 25 Lake George
Thanks Mayhem. My concern is erosion of the fiberglass. I see a little dimple - not sure if that is just from 45+ years of use or something more recent.
Todd

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Thanks Mayhem. My concern is erosion of the fiberglass. I see a little dimple - not sure if that is just from 45+ years of use or something more recent.
Todd
Take a pic. There's a good chance that we can tell the difference between wear from the sheet and some other potential issue

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
I was trying to remove friction from the rubbing. A little dimple after 45 years wouldn't bother me until I saw the underlying fiberglass. That may take you another 20 years to see that.:biggrin:

May 16, 2021
Oday 25 Lake George
Thanks - I see the same setup in my ‘75 Oday 25 brochure. I guess a little rope on the coaming isn’t a problem…

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Thanks - I see the same setup in my ‘75 Oday 25 brochure. I guess a little rope on the coaming isn’t a problem…
That's not a rope, that's a sheet. There is only one rope on a boat, the bolt rope on a sail. :biggrin: :beer: