Jib Seldon Furlex and Jib Halyard Swivel Issues

Jun 2, 2022
16
Hunter Hunter 39 Hartge Yacht Harbor
Hi,

I have 2011 Hunter 39 with occasional problems when furling the jib. I have had to partially dismantle the Seldon Furlex at the jib base to untangle the line. A new line improved the issue but it still occasionally binds. Likewise with the jib halyard swivel, solved for a while by spraying the bearings with silicone.

I am considering replacing both items, but would like to get upgraded or better ones. I would be very grateful for any recommendations.

Thanks, John D. Jib .jpeg
 

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
24,759
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
John D
I switched out a Pro Furl for a Harken MKIV Unit 1. My boat is a 35 ft CAL Masthead sloop. I have been ecstatic about this upgrade.

Harken suggests this information on their website.
Published ranges (standard package length to max with extra foils):

UnitTypical LOA1x19 wireClevis pinStandard stay / max
022–30 ft5/32–7/32 in (4–6 mm); rod −4, −65/16–7/16 in38 ft 7 in / 45 ft 7 in
128–36 ft1/4–5/16 in (6–8 mm); rod −8 to −121/2–5/8 in45 ft 11 in / 52 ft 11 in
235–46 ft5/16–3/8 in (8–10 mm); rod −12 to −225/8–3/4 in60 ft 4 in / 67 ft 4 in
345–60 ft7/16–1/2 in (11–12 mm); rod −22, −303/4–7/8 in74 ft 8 in / 81 ft 8 in

Good luck.
 
  • Like
Likes: JamesG161
Apr 11, 2010
995
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I switched out my ProFurl on our 2008 Hunter 38 with a Harken Ocean Series 2. What a difference. The 110% job was near the high end of the capacity for the ProFurl and was often a challenge to roll. What finally made it necessary was that the foil sections had begun to misalign and the sail would bind and would not go up smoothly in the spring and the last fall, it bound and nearly couldn’t get it down.

With the Harken we are at the low end of its capacity and it rolls with much less effort. Chose the cruising foil rather than racing one. Just did not need two sail tracks as we only have one head sail and we really aren’t into racing.
Was not cheap upgrade but am very happy with it.
 

JRacer

.
Aug 9, 2011
1,407
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Have you talked to Selden in SC about the problem? I have a Selden 200 on my First 310 and have not had any issues. Is the angle the line enters the furler at the proper angle? Same question about the angle of the halyard. How old is the furler? Just some thoughts.
 
Jan 11, 2014
14,174
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
One of the causes of jams in the furling drum is letting the jib unfurl too quickly which leads to overrides and loose wraps. Then when furling the line binds up and over rides form. The solution is to maintain some tension on the furling line when deploying the jib and to maintain some tension on a jib sheet when furling. This will help the line to wrap neatly in the drum.

Also check the lead of the furling line from the first block to the drum, it should be a right angle.
 
  • Like
Likes: JoeWhite
Jun 2, 2022
16
Hunter Hunter 39 Hartge Yacht Harbor
jssailem and quadrille38: I appreciate your recommendations for the Harken units. I will most likely get the Ocean Series 2. My Hunter is at Herrington Harbour South on the Chesapeake. I will enlist the aid of a good rigger guy with installation.
Jracer, Angles of the line and halyard are correct. The Seldon is original (2011)
ciochner: Angle from the drum to the drum is 90 degrees. I maintain mild tensions on the furling line when deploying the jib, and on a jib sheet when furling. Age of the furling is most likely a factor.
I appreciate all of your prompt responses and recommendations.
John D.