Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 349

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I have fallen in love with the Jeanneau 349. The size, layout and modern hull looks perfect to me. Probably will be doing a test sail in October when we get down to Florida.

https://www.jeanneauamerica.com/en/boats/2-sun-odyssey/59-sun-odyssey-349

Curious why no Jeanneau section and doesn't seem like a lot of post on Jeanneau. Checked for used listing and not very many either. Any feedback on Jeanneau and looking at new factory ordered boats?

Love the build and price in the website too. Optioned up the base to just over $160k

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I love everything about that boat, except for its mainsheet system. But still, a great boat. I’ve been on a couple, one fat head and the other conventional. Go fat.

Beneteau owns Jeanneau. Their sun series boats fit right in between cruisy Oceanis and racy First.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
There has to be at least a dozen newer Jeanneau's of all sizes sailing on Galveston Bay. Must be a dealer somewhere close. I love their looks, and the 64 is on my short list when I win the lottery. There's a pretty new 349 on the dock next to us that I admire. A 379 races against us sometimes and somehow rates slower and starts ahead of us, and we usually manage to pass him and we're not very fast at all, not sure if that's the boat or the driver.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
John,
Very nice boat. Only thing that I don't care for on newer midsize Beneteaus & Jeanneaus under 40 feet is the dual steering pedestals. I can certainly see the advantage in larger boats; however, I don't see any advantage on a 35 foot boat. In my opinion it adds to the cost of the boat and takes up too much space in the cockpit. Beneteau & Jeanneau have definitely gone in that direction. Don't know if it is an option or if they are all manufactured in this manner. Hope it all works out for you.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Will see what the wife thinks. I thought the jib adjustments was unique too. Will be fun to check out.

Nov 8, 2010
John,
Very nice boat. Only thing that I don't care for on newer midsize Beneteaus & Jeanneaus under 40 feet is the dual steering pedestals. I can certainly see the advantage in larger boats; however, I don't see any advantage on a 35 foot boat. In my opinion it adds to the cost of the boat and takes up too much space in the cockpit. Beneteau & Jeanneau have definitely gone in that direction. Don't know if it is an option or if they are all manufactured in this manner. Hope it all works out for you.
Modern performance boats that carry their full beam aft need a way to get the drive steer from the rail where their weight is best placed and they can see the tell tails. A huge wheel no longer works, so it’s a tiller with extender or two smaller wheels. That boat is over 11 feet wide at the wheels.

DFC44662-E2FD-464B-869D-1EAE4D19039A.jpeg

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
I always liked the lines of the 349 and this boat will be on my list should I move to a larger sailing area in the future.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
@Jackdaw what are your thoughts on the sweeped back spreader with down wind. Is a spin needed?

Nov 8, 2010
@Jackdaw what are your thoughts on the sweeped back spreader with down wind. Is a spin needed?
@John Tubb ,

Quite. Not so much the swept spreaders, but the non-overlapping rig limiting the headsail to a 110% will pretty much mandate some sort of flying sail when off the wind. With the wind any deeper then 145T the jib will just flap around uselessly. And you're right, DDW is out of the question due to the spreaders, but the good news that is never fast on this type of boat.

The moral of that story is that you can never race these boats in a JAM fleet. You'll be disappointed with your results.

This type of rig, while starting with racing boats about 20 years ago, has started to take over the cruising market as well due to its versatility and ease of sail handling and well as it performance. In most reasonable boat lengths, two people can easily handle and sail the main/jib upwind combination, and with a kite or code sail on a furler there is good reason the fun really starts when you turn downwind. BlueJ has the same rig and whenever the breeze is behind the beam we're choosing a spinnaker!

The moral of that story is that it makes you a better and fast sailor. The older 155% genoa on masthead boats pretty much created a generation of sailors who never fly a spinnaker. You'll get good and comfortable with it fast. Plus it looks (and feels) badass.

6B2C4CEE-4582-438D-A656-D1606A0E5D42.jpeg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Awesome, thanks for the insight. Looking forward to October now!

Aug 20, 2018
Jeanneau 349 Toronto
I am on our second season with this boat. Can echo Jackdaw's statements regarding the the downwind performance with the standard sailplan. Other owners have found a whisker pole to help with the 110 standard genoa. The one thing about the dual helm (extra expense and maintenance aside) is that it does open up the stern of the sailboat (see my avatar). I bought the asym rigging package but held off from buying the Jeanneau Code Zero sail (really a 155% sail). Will be making my first flying sail purchase this off-season. Storage is at a premium (we went with a 3 cabin model) and the furling main (while nice for controlling everything from the cockpit) does limit performance even further. (hence the forthcoming flying sail purchase)

Any questions about this boat, please feel free to ask me.

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Nice thanks for the feedback. I thought 3 cabin also but losing the shower was not an option for happy wife.

So looks like take the sails upgrade and code 0 setup. I was thinking bow thruster but think I'd be ok without.

Nov 8, 2010
Nice thanks for the feedback. I thought 3 cabin also but losing the shower was not an option for happy wife.

So looks like take the sails upgrade and code 0 setup. I was thinking bow thruster but think I'd be ok without.
For people that need them in 35 foot boats (like having a teenage son and daughter), 3-cabin boats are a boon. The 36.7 is 3-cabin. But it makes them all a compromise, including the headspace. 2 cabin is the way to go if your plan supports it. You get a huge head, and a technical room.

You've never need a bowthruster. The only thing that is tricky in maneuvering that boat will be slow maneuvering when backing out out of a slip. Because the prop does not wash on the rudder(s), you have to build way on for the boat to turn. A blast of throttle does nothing like it does on a single rudder boat. That can be exciting until you get used to it.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks @Jackdaw, I thought the bow thuster would be cool but better spent on sail upgrades.

Aug 20, 2018
Jeanneau 349 Toronto
Totally agree - a bow thruster is superfluous on this boat - though it took us a bit to get used to. Devil's advocate, though, I would point out, in addition to Jackdaw's excellent point about the twin rudders/no wash, these new boats have huge freeboard and therefore more windage than classical designs.

Our first encounter with a high wind docking had us blown down our fairway finally parallel parking us between two boats, Austin Powers style. Luckily we didn't hit anyone and met a lot of members at our club that day!

The other point I would make is that the only motor available with this model presently is a 21HP Yanmar. Which has proven fine for our use, however if you have significant current and spec the factory folding prop, be prepared to be patient waiting to make way in reverse and for the prop walk to stop. A feathering prop is also on my shopping list (sigh). I've heard Maxprop is great, however they do not have a dealer in Canada anymore.

With the swim platform for access and enough fairway, we reverse into our slip (which is not difficult once you get moving!

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
We chartered a Sunsail 38 in the BVI which is a Jenneau 375 ( I think) two cabin version was nice for my wife and I plus the teenager. Sucked downwind jib was useless so yes a spinnaker would be good. The mainsheet and the jib share winches but the jib has a rope clutch so it works. There is a lot of friction in the mainsheet system. The two rudder setup is a little weird, as noted when backing the propwash does nothing for you. So gun it get some speed and then hope that forward works. Don't think it was as fast as my old Bene First 375, but wasn't terrible certainly easier to manage and roomier.

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
I have a twin rudder boat, a Bene 311 with a keel centerboard setup. Don't worry too much about the no prop wash on the rudder(s) in reverse, you will get used to it. Once I got accustomed to it, I can handle it the just like I did my old single rudder boat (forward and reverse). I have 2 boats at my house and only about about 33 feet between the stern of the sailboat and the other boat, I back the sailboat out of that space with no problem. In fact I continue to backup the sailboat until I reach the end of my canal about 400 or feet. It will take a little practice and a few white knuckles until you get used to it.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
One of the best things about a forum is getting these unique insights before even stepping on board a very shinny boat. I'm pretty excited for my test sail, too bad it isn't till October.

My slip is along the dock with a boat in front and behind so while I sail into it bow first I always reverse out around the aft boat and end of dock to swing bow around to exit the marine. I've gotten pretty good with the outboard and tiller and almost never have any drama leaving. Coming back in I basically just crawl in slow and stead and if the bow line pick up is missed it usually isn't a problem because I'm at a stop and snug to the dock that all I do is step off and tie up.

My sailing and trim may not be awesome and cool but by god I make sure I don't look like an accident waiting to happen coming and going with all the eyes out!

Nov 8, 2010
One of the best things about a forum is getting these unique insights before even stepping on board a very shinny boat. I'm pretty excited for my test sail, too bad it isn't till October.

My slip is along the dock with a boat in front and behind so while I sail into it bow first I always reverse out around the aft boat and end of dock to swing bow around to exit the marine. I've gotten pretty good with the outboard and tiller and almost never have any drama leaving. Coming back in I basically just crawl in slow and stead and if the bow line pick up is missed it usually isn't a problem because I'm at a stop and snug to the dock that all I do is step off and tie up.

My sailing and trim may not be awesome and cool but by god I make sure I don't look like an accident waiting to happen coming and going with all the eyes out!
Remember the old saying: 'Nobody sees you jibe, but everybody see you dock'!

For practicing sailing like a bigger boat, stop turning your OB. Use just your rudder and throttle. Turning the OB (directed thrust) is a crutch you will not have on a boat with a IB diesel.