Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 349

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Dang, ok I've done it before with my last OB because it would not hold any position except center. The new OB has adjustable drag that works but I can center it and leave it. Sounds sick but getting comfortable with my boat maneuvering around the marine is kind of fun to me.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
I like it.
Cost me a boat load in new sails to get it where it should be.... but still like it for it's price point.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
What I like about the boat:
1. Easy to single hand. Simple controls and easy to get sails trimmed well and quickly.
2. Ability to use a single jib all the time and can opt to fly a spinnaker or zero on a furler anytime I want more horsepower downwind.
3. Wife and non-sailor guests likes the new boat smell. (4 years old already)
4. Sailbag and lazy jacks makes putting away the main easy. No need to take down jib means sailing away from mooring is fast and putting away boat fast too.
5. Non-friction jib lead 'cars' are very effective.
6. Very stable downwind in a breeze with spinnaker up (+20knots). Twin rudders keep ass-puckering broaches very seldom.

What I don't like.
1. Sharing the jib and mainsheet winches takes a bit of a dance unlocking and releasing clutches.
2. Small jib makes it hard to race in non-spin beer can races. Distance races with spins much more fun.
3. Sometimes I'm too lazy to get the spin or 0 rigged (takes about 15 minutes to rig) and regret it later.
4. Something like a used J105 will get you places much faster for a third the price.
5. Sailing to the mooring can go pear shaped if the mainsheet doesn't run completely free.
6. With my big main, it takes effort to grind in the last few inches upwind in a breeze. A traveler is sometimes missed when you have to sheet back in after a gust.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I like it.
Cost me a boat load in new sails to get it where it should be.... but still like it for it's price point.
Awesome feedback. Did you replace the regular sails or the upgrade they offer? I was considering the following for upgrades from factory, would perfer not to replace new sails.

PERFORMANCE PACK
RIGGING FOR ASYMMETRICAL SPINNAKER WITH FIXED BOWSPRIT
110% GENOA -GREY X-GRID MYLAR TAFFETA
CODE 0 SAIL WITH FURLER
PERFORMANCE MAINSAIL IN GREY X-GRID MYLAR TAFFETA

Not doing the self tacking jib or furling main mast, I understand these negatively impacts sailing perforance.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Awesome feedback. Did you replace the regular sails or the upgrade they offer? I was considering the following for upgrades from factory, would perfer not to replace new sails.

PERFORMANCE PACK
RIGGING FOR ASYMMETRICAL SPINNAKER WITH FIXED BOWSPRIT
110% GENOA -GREY X-GRID MYLAR TAFFETA
CODE 0 SAIL WITH FURLER
PERFORMANCE MAINSAIL IN GREY X-GRID MYLAR TAFFETA

Not doing the self tacking jib or furling main mast, I understand these negatively impacts sailing perforance.
I purchased the dacron triangle sails with the intention to upgrade post purchase. My sail maker showed me a jeanneau factory laminate sail and explained why it was a very poor material.

I made the mistake of trying in vain to coax a lot of speed out of those sails for a whole season before I finally ponied up for my laminate square top main and jib.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I like it.
i was wondering when you'd show up..... ;^)

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
a pleasant day in 10kts with the whomper

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Well we loved the 349, really nice and a lot of boat for the size. Then they mentioned the 440 and that was the one my wife loved. It isn't possible right now but we looked at several other options including a Lagoon 380 and a Hunter 45 CC and we agreed that for a future the 440 was the one and she wanted to live on it. That is a big change for her so probably will do some chartering and lessons next year.

May 14, 2016
Hunter Hunter 27 Newport RI
I contemplating buying a new 349.
Some people think the 21 hp Yanmar
is somewhat undersized? How does this do if bucking a current? Sometimes around here in Buzzards Bay or Vineyard Sound you may encounter 2-4 knot currents.... didn’t know how much if you can push through with enough juice to get through. Wondering also would a 30hp give you that much more headway in facing such adverse conditions?

May 14, 2016
Hunter Hunter 27 Newport RI
I see you are in In Long Island, do you do any cruising, or had boats with similar size and larger engines.
Can’t seem to understand why they don’t even offer a larger engine. Pushing against a current and or headwinds can make a difffence. In how far you get in a reasonable amount of time

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
I see you are in In Long Island, do you do any cruising, or had boats with similar size and larger engines.
Can’t seem to understand why they don’t even offer a larger engine. Pushing against a current and or headwinds can make a difffence. In how far you get in a reasonable amount of time
Believe me when I say it, the boat is NOT under powered. It even tries to get up on a plane with the hull shaped the way it is (flat, wide stern).

May 20, 2013
Yamaha 25 Macau
I am on our second season with this boat. Can echo Jackdaw's statements regarding the the downwind performance with the standard sailplan. Other owners have found a whisker pole to help with the 110 standard genoa. The one thing about the dual helm (extra expense and maintenance aside) is that it does open up the stern of the sailboat (see my avatar). I bought the asym rigging package but held off from buying the Jeanneau Code Zero sail (really a 155% sail). Will be making my first flying sail purchase this off-season. Storage is at a premium (we went with a 3 cabin model) and the furling main (while nice for controlling everything from the cockpit) does limit performance even further. (hence the forthcoming flying sail purchase)

Any questions about this boat, please feel free to ask me.
Do you use your shower very often? Is the compartment size suitable for frequent use?