Javelin motor advice

Tattan

Jun 25, 2021
Oday Javelin Rochester
Hey, I just got my hands on an older (year yet TBD) Javelin.

I am planning on getting a motor to mount to the transom for getting in and out of the marina often use which is in the mouth of a river. I'm currently leaning towards a small 2.5 hp of some sort. I was wondering if there's a recommended minimum shaft length or if I can go with a short shaft.

Best,
Tattan

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Last edited:

Tattan

Jun 25, 2021
Oday Javelin Rochester
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

Same question came up on this thread: (2) Long or short shaft | Sailboat Owners Forums. Unless you are planning to motor in a flat inland lake suggest a long shaft outboard motor. Its outboard well is provided to take an outboard engine with a long shaft. Recommended h.p. is 3 to 6 per Microsoft Word - ds1man.doc (daysailer.org).
Thank you for the quick response...

That other thread was for a much larger boat with a draft 3 times the O'Day I just got (not including the centerboard). In addition since Javelin's don't have a motor well I'm very confused by your answer. I'm planning on mounting the motor onto the transom as I mentioned, and am more worried about it reaching the water and extending properly below the hull.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Transom height will determine shaft length, even if you mount the motor off center to avoid contact with rudder. Don't get a short shaft....
1624713616392.png

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
A short-shaft will "work" but the long-shaft (20") will work much better. I originally had a short-shaft 2.3 hp on my DS II, did not take much to cause prop to ventilate (suck air into prop), so when I replaced that motor I bought the 20" long-shaft and have never regretted it!

May 18, 2021
O'Day Javelin Barnegat Bay, LBI
Tattan congrats on the Javelin - enjoy sailing it. This is my first summer sailing one (a '68), I was a long-time sunfish-only guy but it was time for something a little more spacious. The motor thing has been a big challenge for me, to be honest - harder than learning to sail the boat. I'm on a very narrow inlet with a lot of other boats, off a bay in NJ, I need to motor out to more open water so I can hoist the sails. I agree with what people are saying about longer length of shaft for the pushing out but be careful you're not going through any water too shallow for the longer shaft - it's easy to pull your centerboard up but it can be a pain to manipulate those motors. Also the motor I use has created all sorts of problems with getting caught in the rigging when I lift the sails so make sure the handle of the motor is clear. Last thing - the cheapest option for me was an electric trolling motor with a marine battery - I didn't want to deal with a gas motor on a small boat in the bay and risk getting water in the lines. It's the equivalent of 2.5 horsepower and works just fine to push in and out.

May 18, 2021
oh - one other thing Tattan - I see people said this - but make sure you keep your prop clear of your rudder! I was new to this and someone had to explain to me - turn on the motor but set it straight and leave it alone, steer with your tiller handle.

May 18, 2021
Tattan I realized I inadvertently misled - turns out that trolling motor is nowhere near the the equivalent of 2.5 hp - duh - someone told me that I believed them and bought the thing. It's good enough for pushing in and out of our little inlet but if the wind is anywhere above say 8 knots, it won't hold the bow into the wind to raise the sails. Now in the market for an actual 2.5 hp outboard.