Jammed Lewmar Winch

OldCat

Jul 26, 2005
Catalina , Nacra 5.8, Laser, Hobie Hawk Wonmop, CO
I have a 2005 C22 Sport. The port side sheet winch has jammed. It is a Lewmar CST14 - self-taling Genoa winch. The cap came loose while I was sailing and the self tailer spun on the winch. I tried to reset it by hand, hand tightening the cap. But, then the self-tailer spun again under the load of the Genoa and the whole winch jammed.
I can't loosen or remove the cover - even with using a punch and hammer in the slots that seemed designed for that purpose. The winch won't rotate at all. Is there some way to repair this or do I need a new winch?

Thanks,
OC

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
There are some bronze "stops" which set the position of the stripper. Were these seated properly before you tried to tighten it down? Could you have cross-threaded the cover when you screwed it down? (My winches are bigger, but I believe they are just scaled-up versions?)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
As SG notes, the 'wiper' is locked in place in any one of 8 positions with bronze keyed ring. If this is not seated fully the screw on top cab will bind against it and eventually wedge to a stop. Getting it off will be difficult because the 'fish hook' created by the angled keys on the wiper ring. Good luck!

If you can see a high side on the wiper, try and gently pound it flat.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Be careful not to bend the bronze -- or aluminum. Use a rubber mallet, if you try that.

Last edited: