Jabsco macerator

Jan 5, 2021
Hunter 41 DS Saint Petersburg
I have a 2005 Hunter 41 DS. My forward head has a Jabsco macerator #37045-7001, my aft head has a Jabsco #37010-1090. My forward head has a discharge to the waste tank and fresh water in to the head, that's it, simple and works fine.
My aft head has on the macerator a discharge to the waste tank, fresh water in, water out to the head. I think this is the wrong macerator. Fresh water will only go to the bowl when the macerator runs. So the water only doesn't work.
I did find behind the panel a capped off water line and when I connected it to the bowl everything works as it should.
If I just capped off the water in and water out on the macerator, would I burn it up? Should I loop it together? Should I buy another macerator to match the forward head?

Attachments

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Your aft head 37010 is a sea water toilet that should have a combined pump/motor assembly that simultaneously pulls flush water in via a below waterline and discharges bowl contents. It's not designed to us pressurized flush water and should never be connected to any fresh water plumbing . The exploded drawing and parts list in the owners manual Jabsco 37010 owners manual shows all the parts and where they should be installed. Your forward 37045 is available as either a fresh water or sea water toilet...no way to know which one yours was originally...this owners manual shows it as the fresh water version Jabsco 37045_series.pdf owner manual.

So it appears to me that a previous owner decided to turn your aft head into a fresh water toilet, so I suspect the solution is to replace the macerator pump he installed with the correct pump/motor assembly for the Jabsco 37010. It's available from zillion marine retailers, price varies widely, so shop for it. If you need more help, Jabsco's toilet guru is Paul Campagna. His direct line is 978.282.5246 and his email address is Paul.campagna@xyleminc.com

--Peggie

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021
Would it be ok if I just connected fresh water to the water in side of the macerator and the water out to the bowl?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Would it be ok if I just connected fresh water to the water in side of the macerator and the water out to the bowl?
No, it would not. That would risk contaminating your fresh water with bacteria in the bowl. Toilets designed to use fresh water only use pressurized water, which means they have no intake pump, the flush button is essentially a faucet that turns the flush water on and off. They also have built-in siphon breaks and backflow preventers that sea water toilets do not have. But there's one more problem with doing that: the pump/motor assembly (what you're calling just a "macerator") is designed to pull water in AND push water out of the bowl. If you isolate it to the intake side, you wouldn't have any way to empty the bowl.

If you want the aft head to be a fresh water toilet, replace the pump/motor assembly with one designed to convert it. That would be this one: Jabsco 37055 Quiet-Flush Pressurized Fresh Water Conversion Kit

--Peggie

Jan 5, 2021
I think it might have originated as a fresh water head. The through hull for the vanity drain was altered to be the seawater pick up. The galley drain through hull was altered to accept the aft. Then the vanity sink and galley sink drained into the other through hull.
The head is already operating through a soleniod valve. So the potable water should be safe I guess.

Jan 5, 2021
"But there's one more problem with doing that: the pump/motor assembly (what you're calling just a "macerator") is designed to pull water inAND push water out of the bowl. If you isolate it to the intake side, you wouldn't have any way to empty the bowl."

The impeller is on the motor side of the macerator. Water in, water out to the bowl, the waste and bowl water goes out through the macerator to the holding tank.
I don't understand how anything can go backwards to the potable water supply. The macerator and impeller are separated, and a solenoid diaphragm valve is between the water supply.

Jan 5, 2021
Thank you Peggy. I did call Paul, he said of course to protect the manufacturer he can't authorize my set up, but so long as the impeller has water running through it that it was fine. If down the road I have a problem that I should change it to the macerator only model. There is no present need to change it at this time.