I've been thinking

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Dangerous, I know, but with the lockdown not much else to do.

when tacking and jibing I always give a Ready About & Helms a-Lee or Ready jibe & jibing or jibe ho. But with wheel steering the helm a-Lee doesn’t make sense, I mean I’m not pushing the tiller to the lee side of the boat. Should I say Abouting (or abooting in Canada) or About Ho??? How about Wheels a Weather??

What’s the preferred term, all suggestions are welcome.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This is what we need. A puzzle thread. I got nuthun' , but I look forward to the discussion. Where's that popcorn emoji.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i us 'hard to lee'. because my dad did :) plus 3 of my 4 sailboats have tillers

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you sit to the side and steer from the bottom of the wheel with your foot, then "Hard a Lee or Helm's a Lee" works. ;)

The conversation on my boat is always a bit more relaxed or fraught with danger.

"What do you think about tacking? How about now? OK. We're going." or

"Holy :poop:! We have to tack NOW!"

Fortunately the latter does not occur with much frequency.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Dangerous, I know, but with the lockdown not much else to do.

when tacking and jibing I always give a Ready About & Helms a-Lee or Ready jibe & jibing or jibe ho. But with wheel steering the helm a-Lee doesn’t make sense, I mean I’m not pushing the tiller to the lee side of the boat. Should I say Abouting (or abooting in Canada) or About Ho??? How about Wheels a Weather??

What’s the preferred term, all suggestions are welcome.
Well as a Canuck I can’t just let that go! :)

What do you yell when you are in your car and turn the corner?? ;)

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
'Here we go!'
If your crew can't figure out what comes next, then just yell 'hold on'!

For a gibe, try 'I saw this on a cartoon once....'

Cheers
dj

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It's not "tiller alee" it's "helms alee"..... a tiller and a wheel are both helm stations that control the rudder. Or you can think of it as pushing the stern to the leeward side, since a boat steers from the rear. I guess that's why some folks have trouble using a tiller... because they think they're driving a car with front wheel steering.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Don't start bringing facts into this thread. :biggrin:
Good point. Les lead the post with a reference to 0-Dark 30. This may all have been a bad dream due to some enchilada sauce and onions.

LES: “Be sure and check out my new thread in the cruisers lounge. Strang what you think about at 0-dark 30.”​

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Learned to sail on a boat with a tiller, hard to even think about changing to a different set of commands even though my present boat has a wheel. At my age I don’t want to get confused with the facts anyway.