Issues with Two-year old batteries

John_F

Feb 24, 2009
Beneteau 31 Buffalo
My house batteries are Group 24 12-volt deep cycle from West Marine. I got them in the spring of 2017. They are serviced each fall and put on a trickle charger. As soon as I turn off the battery charger at the dock, or shut the engine down, the indicator on my instrument panel shows a pretty quick drop from 13.1 to about 12.4 in maybe 15 minutes.

I went sailing in the evening and turned on my navigation lights and in a few minutes the battery voltage dropped to 12.1. I had only my navigation instruments on (no GPS, just speed/wind) and a radio playing.

Are these batteries done? Do I need to buy new ones or do I check for some short somewhere?

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
You should read the battery threads/articles on the MaineSail site.
Sounds like something in your electrical system is killing them.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Do a load test or take the batteries to a place that does it. Our local battery shop does it for free. It they were left on an automotive type trickle charger all winter, that's likely what did them in.

Ken

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What do you charge them with?
How do you use your boat?
What's your energy budget?
How have you treated them for the past two years?
Have you checked the H2O levels?
Have you equalized them?
Are you aware that you should buy batteries from sources other than WM?

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
My house batteries are Group 24 12-volt deep cycle from West Marine. I got them in the spring of 2017. They are serviced each fall and put on a trickle charger. As soon as I turn off the battery charger at the dock, or shut the engine down, the indicator on my instrument panel shows a pretty quick drop from 13.1 to about 12.4 in maybe 15 minutes.
13.1V is not an actual "charged" voltage for a flooded battery, it is a surface charge. The full resting voltage for that battery will be around 12.70V - 12.73V. When you place the battery under load voltage will fall even lower.

Please also understand that not all "trickle chargers" are a quality product. Some battery makers such as Lifeline specifically prohibit "trickle" (constant current) charging. Many of these "trickle chargers" are nothing more than a low constant-current and if left unattended can literally cook your batteries pushing them well past 15V.

The best maintenance chargers will be a constant voltage design that drop to a float level voltage 13.2V to 13.6V after charging to an absorption level 14.2V - 14.8V.. Like most things you do tend to get what you pay for in battery chargers.

Where you're measuring the voltage, and what device you use, can display even lower than the actual battery voltage, if wiring is not in perfect condition and sized for the load or the meter is inaccurate.. The only measurement that matters is directly across the battery terminals using a known accurate DVM or volt meter.

Bottom line? Measure the actual battery voltage under load and don't trust your "indicator" on the instrument panel. These are quite often rather inaccurate. We routinely see the analog ones displaying more than 1V off actual, and even the digital ones showing as much as .6V - 1V off actual battery voltage.

Also, your batteries are really more of a dual-purpose than an actual deep-cycle product despite what the misleading little sticker claims. The article below goes into detail on this subject..

What is a Deep Cycle Battery? (LINK)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Mostly what @Stu Jackson said.

Also check your alternator output, it may not be doing what you expect it to be doing.

The Deep Cycle batteries from WM are not all that deep cycle and there are better sources for comparable batteries for much less money.

The top 2 suspects in battery murder cases are frequent discharges below 50% state of charge (SOC) and an old battery charger that is not a multistage charger.

A group 24 battery has a capacity of roughly 70 amp hours of those 70ah about 35 are usable. Go for a long day sail with the refrigerator running, the stereo and chart plotter and many of those 35 ah are gone. Battery capacity also declines with use. The more the battery is used, the lower its capacity.

Time spent on MarineHowTo.com is time well spent as is time spent in the forum: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?forums/musings-with-maine-sail.135/

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Check volt gauge and wiring they prob giving you lower than actual #'s