Is this still sailing?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I found this review of a new cat on YouTube.

This looks too easy. Electric winches, computerized sail control. All from inside the air conditioned salon. Completely redefines solo sailing.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Also a good way to run into other sailboats, fishermen, barges, etc. because you know the "captain" isn't paying any attention.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i love ALL boats! could i have a rocking time on that? you betcha. the pretty girls will flock to that boat i'm thinking.
i have a 14' starcraft with a 15h evinrude outboard in my fleet cause it's fun
i quit being a boat snob a very long time ago. if it floats i can have fun on it.
i think that is a very cool toy

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I like Toby. You can tell he's not sure at first, which I can imagine the surreal aspect of helming a sailboat with a car wheel from IN FRONT of the mast. But you can tell it grows on him. I bet it's bags of easy fun.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Why not just sit home in your BarcaLounger and watch travel videos, it would be even more comfortable.
Right now, the builder, having read your post, is thinking, “we could install recliners on the bridge!”

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
True, but at the end of the day its just 4 powered reverso winches, that can be turned manually.
certainly JD. I prescribe (mainly) to minimal and simple mechanical systems. OnTheOtherHand, I do like to watch the GPS for speed and expected arrival time both in the boat AND car. What I would like to see in the marine industry is increased reliability, there seems to be so much acceptance on having to fix or maintain systems. Perhaps I am exposed to a different population as a whole and there ARE INDEED the reliability such that complex systems can trusted to work as they are supposed to. My exposure is that something is always breaking, hence B.O.A.T. and the discussions here for major repairs.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I like Toby. You can tell he's not sure at first, which I can imagine the surreal aspect of helming a sailboat with a car wheel from IN FRONT of the mast. But you can tell it grows on him. I bet it's bags of easy fun.
I think he liked having the tiller at the stern more. That could be some fun.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Why not just sit home in your BarcaLounger and watch travel videos, it would be even more comfortable.
BarcaLounger. They still make those? Last time I saw one of those was on some TV sitcom back in the 60's :)

Apr 5, 2018
Catalina Capri 25 Jackson
I think he liked having the tiller at the stern more. That could be some fun.
x2. Having automatic controls for the sheets on a switch right next to the tiller is a sweet touch. I can't imagine what its like to sail a 55' multi from a tiller

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
I just finally had time to watch the video. From the looks of it, I think he sums it up very well at the end when he says it would be easier for a motorboater to adjust to than a sailor.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I like Toby too. Whatever he's thinking you can see it on his face. He really lights up at the tiller. I think the boat is great. I'll most probably never set foot on one. But for those able to indulge it fits a need for power boat comfort on a sailing platform. I'm totally down with the open layout, the combined living/sailing space and the helm station. Put a 52' TV with college football and I'll stay there all day. Why not stay at home? You still get great views and destinations. I don't think there's any reason sailors have to suffer. As someone who's hip has recently become painful and weak, I don't want to suffer at all.