Is this pump rebuildable?

Nov 20, 2019
Bavaria 42 Dinner Key Marina
Found a reasonably priced substitute pump from parts4engines.com. Made by anchor. $365.00. Link below. Jim, part of the confusion is that the same engine, MD22, had two variations of raw water pump. The earlier model had a Johnson Pump and that was later switched to a Jabsco Pump. I have found parts for th ejabsco pump on the Jabsco website (part Number 29540-1001), but not the part itself.

With respect to the sealing ring, I am going to bite the bullet and take Rich's advice of trying to re-clean and sand the seal cavity. Unfortunately, I believe there is no way to extract the sealing ring without a full disassembly.

Volvo Penta MD22 Raw Water Pump (later type)

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Be careful removing the seal. Don't use PB Blaster on it. PB Blaster will/can damage rubber parts. Use a light oil, maybe 3 in 1. Push carefully all around the back side to avoid damage. The prudent action is to have a new seal just in case. If you have a small pry/hook tool you may be able to get behind the seal front the front. If you are certain that the cavity was clean of any big lumps of stuff, you could try seating the seal more fully with a socket that presses on the circumference before risking damage to remove. I use a vise to squeeze seals like this into place instead of a hammer. A vise will give you even pressure around the entire edge.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Rich, I learnt from someone on this forum to turn the cover plate around if one side is wore. It's a "get me home" quick fix for when the wearing caused impeller not to pump.

Ken Y

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Rich, I learnt from someone on this forum to turn the cover plate around if one side is wore. It's a "get me home" quick fix for when the wearing caused impeller not to pump.

Ken Y
That works as long as there is not a name or part number stamped into the outside surface.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
That works as long as there is not a name or part number stamped into the outside surface.
It still work with name and part number stamped. Been using it this way. The small imprint is hardly a problem for the impeller.

Ken Y

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
It still work with name and part number stamped. Been using it this way. The small imprint is hardly a problem for the impeller.

Ken Y
I am surprised. I would have expected that anything other than a smooth surface would cause a problem. Good to know.