Is this config acceptable?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I was looking for a place to install my 10" water filter assembly and I came across this original install for my twin galley sinks. Other than probably replacing the PVC elbow connected to the thru-hull valve, do you see anything wrong with this setup? Mostly, does it need the "trap" seen below the cabinet base? Would it be better to shorten the hose? Traps are usually added as an air seal but I don't see the need here.
BTW, I decided to install the filter cartridge on the starboard side behind the teak bulkhead in the sitting space. That gives me enough room to replace it when needed. It's close enough to the water pump to keep the lines short. Pics to follow when I'm done.
20210109_150337_resized.jpg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks. That's what I'm thinking unless there's a good reason to have it. I prefer a straight run to avoid any obstructions. It's been this way since new, but if I decide to replace the elbow with bronze, I may as well address this while I have it apart.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
No need for the trap. If you can avoid the elbow at the through hull you'll be in even better shape. If an elbow is necessary, try and use a 45° elbow instead of a 90° elbow.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Good point Dave. I'm not sure if the elbow was added for a loop or to minimize the hose interference of the storage space.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I agree, if you can get a straight shot from the tee to the thru-hull, that'd be fine.. You may be able to do that by shortening the hoses from the individual sink drains .. another thing to consider is to tie/secure the tee up so that if one of the sink drain connections fails (they rust thru sometimes) the tee can't fall below the waterline and flood the boat.

EDIT: A couple of years ago, I replaced the old cuffed, wire wound hose with new Trident .. The old hose had served well for 33 years.
P1000514.JPG

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Looking at the photos again, it appears the hoses screw into the fitting which is then clamped to the PVC fitting. This looks like a pretty insecure way of attaching hoses that go below the water line. It might be a good idea to go with conventional fittings and clamps.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Good advice. I am going to reroute this so it comes up from the base at the back of the cabinet and secures to the rear bulkhead. The admiral will like the clear space.
So, no need for the loop so far. I appreciate the opinions on this.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Looking at the photos again, it appears the hoses screw into the fitting which is then clamped to the PVC fitting. This looks like a pretty insecure way of attaching hoses that go below the water line. It might be a good idea to go with conventional fittings and clamps.
Yeah, it's not intuitively obvious that this is a good method for hose connections. I assume it's common on Hunters of this vintage. I need to think this layout all the way thru. Not just the loop.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
So, no need for the loop so far. I appreciate the opinions on this.
Justin, not so much opinions, but facts. The REASON is important to know, and this comes up every so often in boating forums, since not everyone is a plumbing engineer. :yikes:
TRAPS only exist in houses to stop sewer smells from backing up into houses. Period.
That's why you do NOT need one on a boat for grey water discharge. You WANT as straight a shot to the discharge seacock as possible to avoid any buildup of "carp" especially from galley sink drains.
Good luck.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
One thing to consider is the portion of the hoses that are below the waterline. @Rich Stidger posted a thread on this type of hose used below the waterline and the possible dangers. If you are going to rework anything I'd seriously consider upgrading the hose portions at least below the waterline to a more appropriate hose rated for underwater service. After seeing Rich's post I made that modification. Just a thing to consider.

• Helpful

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
That's why you do NOT need one on a boat for grey water discharge. You WANT as straight a shot to the discharge seacock as possible to avoid any buildup of "carp" especially from galley sink drains.
That is something we have to worry about as lake sailors, carp in the drains. Maybe not so much for salt water :cool:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Justin, not so much opinions, but facts. The REASON is important to know, and this comes up every so often in boating forums, since not everyone is a plumbing engineer. :yikes:
TRAPS only exist in houses to stop sewer smells from backing up into houses. Period.
Good luck.
That's what I figure Stu. Thanks.:thumbup:
I think maybe it was just convenient for Hunter to make a gradual loop rather than a sharp turn below the cabinet. It just looks like a trap

trap.jpg

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
One other tip...

When your boat is in the water and the thru hull valve is open...

You can see the actual water level of your boat, loaded.

The water level rises in that Galley sink piping.;)
Jim...