is there a kit to enclose the through hole transom on 1978 27' Cat?

MaryE

Jun 1, 2017
Catalina 27 San Juan Island
our OB is on a bracket on the port side. We don't need that huge opening in the transom. Anyone know how to close it off? Is there a kit? Can We patch it using the "L" brackets that are already back there? Thanks for any ideas!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
That project can be done by any competent fabricator. I've never seen a "kit". Patch in a piece of plywood, glass, fill and finish. Decisions must be made on drainage, from cockpit and from the cavity itself.

MaryE

Jun 1, 2017
We are happy with the OB motor & mount. Just would like to close off that large open area where the older OB went. New motors don't fit in the hole and I think water will be washing in during rough seas.
Thanks for your reply though

MaryE

Jun 1, 2017
Thanks for your response Joe. My guy thought he heard of an easy fix. It's a white plastic (like a cutting board) that is sold at West Marine. It comes in various thicknesses and can be cut with a circular saw. It's supposed to be strong and cost $100+. Has anyone heard of this method? Much appreciated! Mary

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Your probably referring to "starboard" or something similar. If you're going to do it, glass it in and seal it up properly. Anything else comes with risks.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Where do you store your fuel tank? That
Thanks for your response Joe. My guy thought he heard of an easy fix. It's a white plastic (like a cutting board) that is sold at West Marine. It comes in various thicknesses and can be cut with a circular saw. It's supposed to be strong and cost $100+. Has anyone heard of this method? Much appreciated! Mary
Actually, it wouldn't take much to close it off with a piece of waterproofed plywood. Cut it large enough to overlap the opening by an inch or two around the perimeter, then either bolt it directly to the transom or build some type of bracketing with planks on the inside. You can seal the edge with butyl tape, or some other flexible sealant. Remember, that there is a drain hole in the transom that you must consider... a bilge or drain plug will work well here...
Check your local USCG and EPA regulations regarding the new space if you plan on leaving your fuel tank inside. I wish I could be more help here.... so I leave it to you to look into this important matter.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Ehhh, You can get a sawzall or jig saw and cut the top of the outboard well so it will fit a newer 4 stroke.

A 1/4 piece of starboard cut to go over the opening and bolted in place would work. You could make additional shelves in the middle and leave the factory scupper at the bottom to vent out gas fumes and the water from the cockpit drains.